Main Menu

Member Recognition

Started by Pylon, May 02, 2005, 01:42:14 AM

Pylon

Every unit recognizes the contributions and accomplishments of its members in different fashions.  Members who have contributed significantly in one unit may receive certificates of appreciation, in other units mention during formations, in other units members get recongized usually only annually at a banquet or dining-out, and still other units put in CAPF 120s for CommComms and other recognition often.

So I'm curious what methods various units use, if any, to regularly recognize the more significant contributors to the success of the unit.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

whatevah

alienation seems to be pretty popular.  ;D
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Pylon

Quote from: whatevah on May 03, 2005, 03:29:17 AM
alienation seems to be pretty popular.  ;D

Sadly, sometimes too true.  We focus on recruitment so much, I wonder if sometimes we forget about retention of the good people we already have.   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

What the heck is retention ???

Seriously, that is a major failure in our program. Our retention rate - or lack thereof - has actually drawn the attention of the AF. I think it may be one reason we are seeing a more cooperative attitude from them.

We do good with recruiting, we just don't keep people.

Greg

Quote from: arajca on May 03, 2005, 01:26:47 PM
What the heck is retention ???

Seriously, that is a major failure in our program. Our retention rate - or lack thereof - has actually drawn the attention of the AF. I think it may be one reason we are seeing a more cooperative attitude from them.

We do good with recruiting, we just don't keep people.

Our squadron focuses a lot on not only recruiting, but also retention.  It's kinda hard to type because i busted my thumb, but i'll explain more later....
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

SarDragon

Our Wing Commander gives us membership figures every year at the Wing Conference. Each year it has been noted during the presentation that CAWG specifically, and CAP in general, would have a significant positive growth if just one half of of the nonrenewals stayed. There are enough new people joining; we're not keeping enough of them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

whatevah

I never got any special recognition at my squadron when I was a cadet... but, my dedication was rewarded (punished? ;)) by being assigned to positions with more responsibility, and finally as a cadet advisor.

I was given a "Commanders Comm" twice at wing conferences as a cadet, for my contributions to the unit, and for helping out with the wing communications stuff (volunteering to replace repeaters and such).

I'm one of the people who don't need fancy-shmancy shiny stuff, so as long as I'm treated fairly, I'll continue doing whatever I can. :)

side note... I made a new topic for retention, followup your retention related replies here:    http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=202.new#new
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin