Cadets at SAR Evals...

Started by Stonewall, April 25, 2009, 12:22:50 AM

PHall

Quote from: coolkites on August 13, 2009, 04:10:19 AM
I recently (3 days ago) attended the ORWG evaluated SAREX but I felt that before I showed up I was not wanted. my senior member contact disappeared at our meeting before I found out when and where to show up not cool. When I did show up (after multiple emails and phone calls) I was very glad I did I learned alot and I think the seniors realized that I could actually help rather than hinder. One senior actually told me the week before that he got the feeling that other seniors didnt reallt want cadets attending??? THATS WHY WE CADETS ARE HERE!!!

No, that's why YOU are here. Many cadets have no interest at all in ES. They're here for Flying or for Leadership Training.
There are many different reasons people join CAP, ES just happens to be just one reason.

Camas

I recently (3 days ago) attended the ORWG evaluated SAREX but I felt that before I showed up I was not wanted.
I can only speak for myself. As a qualified MRO and MSA I will always step aside if and when a cadet is present and wishes to avail himself or herself of the chance to work in communications or MSA duties. If you're qualified or have a SQTR card for either of those ES specialties you can count on me to assist you in any way I can. And yes, I was there in Aurora OR along with you among many others.

coolkites

Quote from: Camas on August 20, 2009, 10:01:53 PM
I recently (3 days ago) attended the ORWG evaluated SAREX but I felt that before I showed up I was not wanted.
I can only speak for myself. As a qualified MRO and MSA I will always step aside if and when a cadet is present and wishes to avail himself or herself of the chance to work in communications or MSA duties. If you're qualified or have a SQTR card for either of those ES specialties you can count on me to assist you in any way I can. And yes, I was there in Aurora OR along with you among many others.

Thanks Camas actually I was stationed in Medford. I was the only cadet to show up for the SAREX EVALV for our entire squadron out of 20 cadets

Rotorhead

Quote from: Mendoza on May 14, 2009, 06:48:47 PM
Then you sir are one of the few that i have met. you see unfortunately many seniors see cadets with the highest gt and ranger grades as being nothing more than "traffic directors"

What's a "ranger grade" and where it is documented?

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

DC

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 22, 2009, 03:19:05 AM
Quote from: Mendoza on May 14, 2009, 06:48:47 PM
Then you sir are one of the few that i have met. you see unfortunately many seniors see cadets with the highest gt and ranger grades as being nothing more than "traffic directors"

What's a "ranger grade" and where it is documented?
Good question. Hmm...

Only PAWG and certain members of my own wing seem to know.

coolkites

The ranger grade is obtained from Hawk (and other places?) where it is listed nobody knows

SarDragon

There used to be a double secret squirrel page on the Hawk or PAWG site that explained all the ratings. Dunno if it's still there.

[edit]
Forget that, it's on Wikipedia.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Rotorhead

Quote from: SarDragon on August 23, 2009, 07:48:41 AM
There used to be a double secret squirrel page on the Hawk or PAWG site that explained all the ratings. Dunno if it's still there.

[edit]

Sounds like the GSAR School we have in Colorado.

By the way, where is all this documented in the CAP regs, i.e., wearing extra patches like "Expert Ranger" on BDUs and different colored shirts, etc? I haven't seen it.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

PHall

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 23, 2009, 03:11:31 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 23, 2009, 07:48:41 AM

[edit]

Sounds like the GSAR School we have in Colorado.

By the way, where is all this documented in the CAP regs, i.e., wearing extra patches like "Expert Ranger" on BDUs and different colored shirts, etc? I haven't seen it.

Try looking in the PAWG 39-1 Supplement. Of course that reg only applies if you're in PAWG....

badger bob

Cadets can and should be used at SARevals as well as any other training situation. What better training do we offer that is closer to a real world situation then a SAReval?

My daughter participated in 5 SARevals as a cadet. The last three SARevals in three different states were as AOBD, GBD, and GTL.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

Stonewall

Quote from: badger bob on August 25, 2009, 02:16:43 AM
Cadets can and should be used at SARevals...

Yes, but they don't.  Many folks believe that kids cadets have no place in ES other than acting like gophers and traffic control.  It's a true shame if you ask me, but FLWG is a different beast compared to my experiences in MER.
Serving since 1987.

wuzafuzz

Bring on the cadets, as long as they a mature enough to do their jobs and refrain from public displays of poor behavior.  (Just this weekend I was CUL at an air show, where a cadet decided that CC1 was a fine place to imitate body function noises.)  That kind of behavior can turn some folks off to the entire idea of cadet participation in "real" activities.

On the other hand I had an MRO helping me who was quite responsible and was very helpful. 

It's a shame when the immature behavior of some limits those who have their act together.  As adults we have to work a little harder to acknowledge the difference and allow opportunities to learn and excel.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Stonewall

Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 25, 2009, 07:21:40 PM
Bring on the cadets, as long as they a mature enough to do their jobs and refrain from public displays of poor behavior.  (Just this weekend I was CUL at an air show, where a cadet decided that CC1 was a fine place to imitate body function noises.)  That kind of behavior can turn some folks off to the entire idea of cadet participation in "real" activities.

Yeah, because "adults" never embarass us.
Serving since 1987.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Stonewall on August 25, 2009, 07:48:50 PM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 25, 2009, 07:21:40 PM

Yeah, because "adults" never embarass us.

True enough.  If we can work around the embarassing adults (and we do it all the time), we can work around the embarassing cadets.  I'd wager corrective action has a better success rate with wayward cadets than with wayward seniors.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Stonewall

Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 25, 2009, 08:07:33 PMI'd wager corrective action has a better success rate with wayward cadets than with wayward seniors.

Concur.

I remember as a young cadet, circa 1989, Major Otto (folks in FLWG may remember him) giving my buddy and I a good scolding when a local dude in Gainesville saw us farting around acting the fool.  All it took was that one time and never again, not under George's watch  ::)
Serving since 1987.