Available dates for service

Started by nomiddlemas, February 11, 2014, 10:39:26 PM

nomiddlemas

Hey I was looking at all of the ES stuff on my profile.  I noticed that there was a section about the times availabe to respond.  Do we need to fill this out? I have heard that this part does not matter but im not sure. 

Eclipse

Few, if any, wings use this system, if yours did, you'd probably have been informed by your Wing OPS people to complete it.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I haven't looked in a while, but is there even a function in eservices that lets you search on that information?  Even if there was I'm not sure I'd depend on it since such generalized info isn't likely to be accurate at any given time. 

nomiddlemas

If you are GES rated the chances of you getting picked to go on a mission are kind of low correct?

SarDragon

Quote from: nomiddlemas on March 18, 2014, 11:48:44 PM
If you are GES rated the chances of you getting picked to go on a mission are kind of low correct?

Just GES rated? No chance at all. Simply sticking your name on a call-out list guarantees nothing.

You need to be qualified in something before you can be productive on an actual mission. Training happens at the unit level, and on SAREXs, which you generally sign up for ahead of time.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

fokkerfrenzy

You cannot go on a SAR mission until you are ground team or udf qualified, but you can still do disaster relief stuff with just GES, as is my understanding.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

fokkerfrenzy

Disaster assessment, food/water hander-outer, etc. 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

fokkerfrenzy

It's just what I've been told/ what I've done in the past.  I was told by several experienced people, including a former wing ES director, that all you need to have for disaster relief is GES and IS-100/700.

And personally, many years ago (I know things change, I'm just throwing it out there) I did DR with just GES and a 101T.

Eclipse

They were wrong, there is no channel for GES people to do anything, especially DR.

Please cite anything beyond "I was told."

"That Others May Zoom"

Huey Driver

I wish I had facts and numbers to cite here, but there were a tremendous amount of people with no ES specialties who did DR with Hurricane Sandy. Personally, I'd say that over half of the members I worked with on the ground only had GES and maybe some ICS courses on their 101 Card.

In fact, I believe that the NER and MER could never have accomplished what they did, if it weren't for the GES-only volunteers.

They all earned the same Disaster Relief Ribbon with "V" Device as I did.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

You're actually citing the PROBLEM not the justification.

In true CAP fashion, they ignored the rules for expediency.

There's no point in having the disfunctional architechture  of rules and regs if CAP is just going to ignore them
when it starts raining.

Pick a major mission in the last ten years and that was / is basically CAP's script.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: fokkerfrenzy on March 19, 2014, 02:02:40 AM
food/water hander-outer

Is there a badge for that?  'cause we really need a badge for that.

Huey Driver

Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2014, 04:01:52 AM
In true CAP fashion, they ignored the rules for expediency.

There's no point in having the disfunctional architechture  of rules and regs if CAP is just going to ignore them
when it starts raining.

Pick a major mission in the last ten years and that was / is basically CAP's script.

Yeah, all true. Believe me, I'm all for having qualified personnel on these missions, but I see why ICs often choose expediency over the regs' rulings.

So in that sense, nomiddlemas, you might be requested to participate in a mission. But do yourself and your ES guys a favor; pursue an ES specialty.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Fubar

Quote from: Panache on March 19, 2014, 04:23:43 AMIs there a badge for that?  'cause we really need a badge for that.

I'm sure there is a ribbon in the works.

fokkerfrenzy

Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2014, 03:40:07 AM
They were wrong, there is no channel for GES people to do anything, especially DR.

Please cite anything beyond "I was told."

What reg addresses this?  Is there one?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

fokkerfrenzy

There are a few places that affirm this, but the most succinct is:

From CAPR 60-3 (2-2 sec.b)

"Trainees can still participate in training or actual missions as allowed on their CAPF 101 if working under qualified supervisors..."

GrimReaper

Below is the excerpt from CAPR 60-3 CAP Emergency Services Training and Operational Missions 26 December 2012, para 2-3

The General Emergency Services specialty rating is required of all individuals qualifying in emergency services and will be completed prior to commencing training for any other specialty. This training authorizes members to attend missions, observe activities and perform administrative and general operations support tasks under the direction of qualified staff personnel, essentially as a license to learn.