Started by Bluchip, September 22, 2011, 01:50:31 AM

sarmed1

Thats pretty darn cool......
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

JayT

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 24, 2011, 12:08:35 PM
http://www.post53.info/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_EMS_%E2%80%93_Post_53

Yeah, when I was rotating up in Greenwich, I heard about that. They have a few medics who operate as AEMT's as supervisors, but other then that it's kids who ride as EMT's or MFRs.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

JC004

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 23, 2011, 07:14:33 PM
You have to check not just your state law regarding certification but check the local volunterr agencies.....

For Example,  in Pensylvania:  State certification as First Responder requires you to be 16.  ARC and ECSI's first responder requirements have no age stipulation.  The state also says you can be an EMT at age 16, in many programs you can actually take the class under 16, but must wait until your 16th birthday to take the writtne test.

State Labor laws say you can be a member of a volunteer fire department or rescue/ambulance squad at 14.  There are different job/tasks and hour limitations between 14-15 and 16-17 yeaqr olds.  One Department near by will not take junior members under 16, our department will take them at 14.  My ambualnce company though 99% paid is still technically a volunteer non profit and has a youth program for 14-17 year olds....

mk

Do you know the statute for this?  I was JUST looking for this info for someone.

Bluchip

That looks really cool, anyone know of something like this in the NYC area?

JayT

Quote from: Bluchip on September 24, 2011, 08:21:30 PM
That looks really cool, anyone know of something like this in the NYC area?

No. EMS in NYC is provided by FDNY EMS Command, voluntary hospitals, and private companies contracted to the voluntary hospitals. There are volunteer ambulance corps in the NYC area, but there not part of the 911 system, they just buff jobs as they can, and there few and far between.

Contact me if you're interested in EMS in the City.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

sarmed1

Quote from: JC004 on September 24, 2011, 08:09:36 PM
You have to check not just your state law regarding certification but check the local volunterr agencies.....

For Example,  in Pensylvania:  State certification as First Responder requires you to be 16.  ARC and ECSI's first responder requirements have no age stipulation.  The state also says you can be an EMT at age 16, in many programs you can actually take the class under 16, but must wait until your 16th birthday to take the writtne test.

State Labor laws say you can be a member of a volunteer fire department or rescue/ambulance squad at 14.  There are different job/tasks and hour limitations between 14-15 and 16-17 yeaqr olds.  One Department near by will not take junior members under 16, our department will take them at 14.  My ambualnce company though 99% paid is still technically a volunteer non profit and has a youth program for 14-17 year olds....

mk

Do you know the statute for this?  I was JUST looking for this info for someone.

Which parts:
The EMS certification parts should be in PA Act 37; thats the new EMS Act  (its still in phase in.... the previous act as Act 45)
The restrictions and allowable work parts is in the child labor law section 7.3

mk

JC004

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 25, 2011, 04:17:38 AM
Quote from: JC004 on September 24, 2011, 08:09:36 PM

mk

Which parts:
The EMS certification parts should be in PA Act 37; thats the new EMS Act  (its still in phase in.... the previous act as Act 45)
The restrictions and allowable work parts is in the child labor law section 7.3

mk

PA CLL on EMS is what I'm looking for. 

In the process, I just found this in a circular.  Apparently caddying is the only occupation worthy of an exemption here.  Very interesting.  I guess it's so members of the legislature have caddies.  I guess all the kids making websites or doing other computer work are criminals.  That's a shame.

QuoteUnder Pennsylvania law, no child under the age of 16 may be employed. There is an exception for a child between the ages of 12 and 14, who may serve as a golf caddy, but may only carry one golf bag and not for any longer than 18 holes in one day. A child between 14 and 16 may also caddy with the restriction that it cannot interfere with school attendance.

Nathan

Quote from: Bluchip on September 22, 2011, 01:50:31 AM
Hey guys how are you, I just recently joined CAP and so far I'm loving every minute of it, I can see now what amazing leadership skills and life skills you can gain from being in CAP. In the future I plan on either being a civilian medical doctor, or possibly a doctor through the Air Force. My question is, are there any programs that will expose me to helping other cadets with safety or injuries that I can possible put on my transcripts? Volunteer service and helping others has always been a passion of mine and I would really love to know if I could persue that passion through CAP. Then possibly take my experiences to help get into a a medical program in college. Thank you.

So as a guy who's currently in the process of interviewing at medical schools, here's my advice.

Don't concern yourself too much with the medical stuff that's offered through CAP, because there's nothing medically-related that's likely to do much for an application to medical school. Even if we accept that the medical programs offered through CAP are totally legitimate and useful, they're still nothing like the usual kind of medical situations that you'd be encountering as a physician. Before you apply to medical school, you're going to be looking for medical experiences like shadowing doctors, volunteering at hospitals, and so forth. I have not experienced ANYTHING medically-related in CAP that would make for a relevant medical experience to put on a medical school application.

Here's what you should be doing with your time in CAP that WILL matter for medical school:

1) Promote. The higher up you go, the better, because it shows that you have motivation and drive to complete difficult objectives. When you think about it, working to get the Spaatz is a lot like working to get into medical school. Both programs are four years (at least) of taking tests, having cool experiences, and working hard to reach an objective relatively few achieve.

2) Have leadership experiences. Proving you can be a leader is a big part of the medical school application, and there are very few people who are able to show quality leadership experiences. While most pre-meds I'm competing with are going to reference being a secratary in a science club, I can reference years of working in squadron leadership positions, giving speeches on the topic, commanding encampments, and so forth. Having strong leadership experiences will definitely make you stand out, and CAP is an excellent sources of these experiences.

3) Do community service projects. If your squadron doesn't regularly do community service, then seek out projects and present them to your commander. Most medical schools want to see you doing community service and volunteering, so use CAP's considerable reputation in this area to your advantage. This doesn't need to be medically-related community service. You can shadow doctors to prove you want to be in medicine, but you can build houses for Habitat for Humanity to show that you have a passion for helping people. Don't forget to record your hours so you can reference them later.

4) Make strong contacts. This doesn't mean that you should just meet high-ranking people; this means meeting people that can serve as mentors in various areas of your life. My CAP experience allowed me to meet some amazing members, as well as Congressman, military leaders, and so forth. These are people who can write you letters of recommendation, and the better they know you, the better the letters will be. I made some very good contacts at places like IACE, Cadet Officer School, and so forth.

I can probably think of more, but you get the idea. Even at its best, CAP medical training is comparable to EMT training, not physician experiences, and the medical school guys are going to know that. They'll ask you why you wouldn't rather be an EMT or someone who would be working out in the field. There are plenty of experiences outside of CAP to get clinical experiences, so use CAP for what it's good for. CAP is rich in leadership experiences, volunteering experiences, and for making important friends. Focus on that, and you'll be in fine shape when you're ready to apply.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Eclipse

Quote from: Nathan on September 27, 2011, 11:19:39 PM
1) Promote.

2) Have leadership experiences.

3) Do community service projects.

4) Make strong contacts.

This should be on a T-Shirt as a mantra for life.

Quote from: Nathan on September 27, 2011, 11:19:39 PMI have not experienced ANYTHING medically-related in CAP that would make for a relevant medical experience to put on a medical school application.

I think there are some encampment HSO's who would argue the point, though they weren't supposed to be treating people.  Nothing like
seizure disorders to really round out a weekend!  (Mom: "Yeah, that happens a lot, just let him lie quietly in a dark area for a little while and he'll probably be fine...")

"That Others May Zoom"

sarmed1

I'd like to think that HMRS's Doc (Navy MD on his time, not CAP BTW) gives interested cadets (and seniors) a pretty good exposure to  the medical word..... I've seen a number of routine, urgent and emergent treatments taking care of by him and cadets that have been there have been fairly Wow'd; he even does a good disection of pig or cow heart/lungs and usually an eye ball that even I am pretty impressed with.  However even if you were to be attached to his hip for a week there I dont think the experience would carry much weight in consideration for a medical school or other related application; I am not sure even a "Military Medical Careers" NCSA would seem like a big deal in the consideration toward a medical school.  CAP's best contribution in this realm I think is still the character building and leadership training you are exposed to as a cadet that will show forth in actual interviews and interaction during the application process.  The networking and guidance/path direction from those that happen to be in the career field is a close second.

mk

Nathan

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 28, 2011, 03:00:49 AM
I'd like to think that HMRS's Doc (Navy MD on his time, not CAP BTW) gives interested cadets (and seniors) a pretty good exposure to  the medical word..... I've seen a number of routine, urgent and emergent treatments taking care of by him and cadets that have been there have been fairly Wow'd; he even does a good disection of pig or cow heart/lungs and usually an eye ball that even I am pretty impressed with.  However even if you were to be attached to his hip for a week there I dont think the experience would carry much weight in consideration for a medical school or other related application; I am not sure even a "Military Medical Careers" NCSA would seem like a big deal in the consideration toward a medical school.  CAP's best contribution in this realm I think is still the character building and leadership training you are exposed to as a cadet that will show forth in actual interviews and interaction during the application process.  The networking and guidance/path direction from those that happen to be in the career field is a close second.

mk

Actually, an activity specifically designed to introduce someone to military medicine probably wouldn't be bad thing to put down. But nothing like that exists in CAP.

The idea is to get realistic exposure to what a physician does; a cadet should be able to leave the experience with a better understanding of what he/she can expect upon becoming a physician, and convince the medical admissions board of that fact. If the cadet can't pull of telling a few doctors that he/she knows what being a doctor is going to be like because of Hawk Mountain, then it's not going to be a useful experience as far as medical school admissions goes.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

sarmed1

Quote from: Nathan on September 28, 2011, 03:36:58 AM
Actually, an activity specifically designed to introduce someone to military medicine probably wouldn't be bad thing to put down. But nothing like that exists in CAP.
CAP seems to be adding more and more "orientation" programs every year..... they seem to start as local level programs initially, but with interest and support seem to find their way to "official" NCSA status eventually... so why not this one?

mk

Eclipse

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 28, 2011, 07:48:46 PM
Quote from: Nathan on September 28, 2011, 03:36:58 AM
CAP seems to be adding more and more "orientation" programs every year..... they seem to start as local level programs initially, but with interest and support seem to find their way to "official" NCSA status eventually... so why not this one?

Because no one coming back from Aircraft Manufacturing & Maintenance Academy will call themselves an A&P, but you can bet cadets coming back
from the "Emergency & Field Medicine Academy" would be calling themselves "Medics".

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on September 28, 2011, 08:40:40 PMBecause no one coming back from Aircraft Manufacturing & Maintenance Academy will call themselves an A&P, but you can bet cadets coming back from the "Emergency & Field Medicine Academy" would be calling themselves "Medics".

Please put this on a t-shirt. I'll take two.