Main Menu

flight line

Started by capcadet101, November 04, 2006, 10:04:09 PM

capcadet101

how many squadrons are out there that are flight line quilified.
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
Lake St. Louis Missouri 63367
ges,set, certified

JC004

???  Huh?  Do you mean the Flight Line Marshaller ES qualification?

DeputyDog

Quote from: JC004 on November 04, 2006, 10:47:48 PM
That is what he means. His squadron specializes as Flight Line Marshallers.

JC004

Quote from: DeputyDog on November 04, 2006, 10:50:14 PM

We don't have a lot of FLM-qualified people.  They are mostly spread out, a couple per unit, most of them being in the units with aircraft, obviously. 

ande.boyer

I don't think I've ever heard ofa  squadron "specializing" in flight line.. :-|

DeputyDog

Quote from: ande.boyer on November 05, 2006, 03:44:30 AM

I don't think I've ever heard ofa  squadron "specializing" in flight line.. :-|

That is why his squadron calls themselves the "Ramp Rats". Interesting squadron patch they have by the way.

CLB

I'm a certified NATA line tech, but I don't want to do it for CAP.  I once started a SQTR for it, but let it slide.   

However, usually end up doing it to some capacity anyways at a SAREX. 

45+ hours a week of pulling pins, checking rudder locks and making sure 5 noobs don't fark something up on a F-18, HH-60 or $45m Gulfstream is enough for me. 
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

capcadet101

deputy dog its capcadet101 i got your message about the squadron patch and i am glad that you like it if you would send me a e-mail it would be apperacited i would like to find out who you you are. P.S. and that is what i mean't w/ the flight line.
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
ges,set, certified

Chris Jacobs

here in Oregon we are kinda doing the same thing.  Each squadron with a good amount of pilots is specializing in a certain mission.  One squadron is specializing in ELT's, another is SDIS, another is going to mainly be for tow pilots.  But they all will be able to do all of the missions.  I kinda like the idea of having squadrons specialize.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

capcadet101

See you might only specilize in one thing like our main specialty is flight line but we also do ground team, in mo wing we like the only squadron in mo that is all flight line able.
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
ges,set, certified

DNall

how critical is flight line anyway?

capcadet101

being a on the flight line is great but you have a great deal of responsibility you have to know what you are doing and how to do it correctly. you have a lot of stress out there. you are in-controle of the civil air patrols planes and also civilian aircraft. but it is a blast to be out on the flight line. we make sure that the aircrafts wings dont hit each other
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
ges,set, certified

Chris Jacobs

I think he was asking how important is it to have flight line any ways.  I think in big operations it might be necessary, but in general it is not really that important.  Most pilots can pull up to a parking spot on the GA ramp by them selves.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

capcadet101

YOUR RIGHT BUT THEY LIKE US BEING OUT THERE THEY DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT HITTING ANYTHING. I THINK THEY ARE MORE RELAXED ON THE FLIGHT LINE THEY DONT WORRIE
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
ges,set, certified

MIKE

Mind the Caps Lock there Cadet DiGiuseppi.
Mike Johnston

capcadet101

Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
ges,set, certified

RiverAux

I think this is a dying specialty.  At most larger airports you aren't allowed on the ramp to do it while on the smaller airports it isn't really necessary.  I am continually suprised that the AF lawyers haven't put the kaibosh on this activity, at least for cadets, as being a safety hazard. 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on November 06, 2006, 04:33:03 AM
I think this is a dying specialty.  At most larger airports you aren't allowed on the ramp to do it while on the smaller airports it isn't really necessary.  I am continually suprised that the AF lawyers haven't put the kaibosh on this activity, at least for cadets, as being a safety hazard. 

And how many cadets have you seen get injured while working flight line, outside of sunburn?

That was the very first ES job I learned as a cadet, and the skill carried over into my time in the Navy.

When properly supervised, properly trained cadets can do the job just as well as adult members. In fact, most of the cadets I have worked with and trained over the years have done very well, and have been much less inclined to be complacent, unlike some adult members.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

The problem with CAP running a flight line is most pilots (in my experience) are not used to have someone standing in front of the people slicer giving them directions. Also, the use of CAP members as flight line personnel has been hit or miss (no pun intended) - they're not present at all missions, training or real.

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on November 06, 2006, 05:25:41 AM
The problem with CAP running a flight line is most pilots (in my experience) are not used to have someone standing in front of the people slicer giving them directions. Also, the use of CAP members as flight line personnel has been hit or miss (no pun intended) - they're not present at all missions, training or real.

With that I agree 100%. It's part of the prerequisite Scanner training, but it seem to get glossed over. We have  this, and this (draft) available on the National site.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret