Main Menu

Civil Air Patrol Rangers

Started by N Harmon, March 23, 2009, 10:15:39 PM

N Harmon

:o :o :o :o :o     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Air_Patrol_Ranger      :o :o :o :o :o

QuoteThe National Search and Rescue Manual states that DoD personnel may be available to assist in search operations. First to be considered are Air Force Pararescue personnel, followed by Explosive Ordnance Disposal teams of the US Army, Navy, or Air Force, then US Navy Seal Teams or CAP Rangers.

This page needs....

• A wakeup to reality
  • Massive editing

Anybody want to help?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

JohnKachenmeister

As of a few years ago, the Air Force, it its AFI detailing the relationship between them and CAP refered to our ground team units as "Rangers."

That term was dropped about two years ago, IIRC.
Another former CAP officer

Smokey

Now that's going to go to some people's heads!!!!

I can see it now....shades of Rambo ;D
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

FW

Well, if it says it in Wikipedia, it must be an absolute fact  ;D >:D
Seriously, the program has become a wonderful training ground for basic and advanced SAR technique and those that go through the program and, STAY CURRENT, are more than competent as ground team members, leaders and trainers.  And, as they did quite well in an international SAR comp last year in Canada, I wouldn't put the program down.

Major Carrales

I've been saving this for just such an occasion as this...

I recall, not too many months back, some here that were hoping to have CAP Cadets join the Sea Cadet's "SEAL" program and other activities.

Now, if there are people pushing for CAP SEAL qualified members, then there can be CAP Rangers (which seem to have a "history" in CAP).

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BillB

Of cpourse there is also the U.S. Ranger Corp.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DBlair

Putting CAP "Rangers" in the same sentence as Navy SEALS and AF PJs, Oh my...

Why do I get the idea that this was at least partly written by some overzealous high speed wannabe-special ops Cadet?

Perhaps this wikipedia entry could be re-written to more accurately portray the CAP Ranger program. Are CAP "Rangers" well trained? Sure. Do they warrant being considered in the same light as the SEALS and PJs? No way.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Al Sayre

If it's a quote from the DOD National Search and Rescue Manual as claimed, correcting Wikipedia isn't going to help much...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Major Carrales

Quote from: DBlair on March 24, 2009, 12:51:43 AM

Why do I get the idea that this was at least partly written by some overzealous high speed wannabe-special ops Cadet?

Perhaps this wikipedia entry could be re-written to more accurately portray the CAP Ranger program. Are CAP "Rangers" well trained? Sure. Do they warrant being considered in the same light as the SEALS and PJs? No way.

If the term "ranger" is to be used in CAP, it will not (and should not) be some sort of "poser-pretenderist" idea ripping off the Army's Ranger program.  I would say, a better model would be "Forest Service" rangers that are those that can preform in raw terrain (thus, the RANGE) based on doing ES in that envrionment.

Any other use (including ranger "tabs," painted CAMO faces and the like) invites ridicule.

Now, an extrememly well trained CAP Officer or Cadet skilled enough to traverse and survive in woodlands, deserts and the like in support of the mission (and I mean for "real," not just a qual, weekend campout and without the need for trinkets and special garb), I could support the use of the term Ranger.  

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DBlair

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 24, 2009, 12:57:09 AM
If it's a quote from the DOD National Search and Rescue Manual as claimed, correcting Wikipedia isn't going to help much...

I wonder if the DOD manual actually says that or whether it is a false quote. I'd be surprised if the DOD would even consider allowing it to be phrased like that.

Al Sayre

I was wondering that myself, but it's 272 pages and not searchable, so I'm not really that curious...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DBlair

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 24, 2009, 01:09:03 AM
I was wondering that myself, but it's 272 pages and not searchable, so I'm not really that curious...

LOL Likewise.

lordmonar

Quote from: DBlair on March 24, 2009, 12:51:43 AM

That sentance was writted by the USAF in a manual that drove all USAF rescue operations for over a decade.

No where in that wiki page is anyone putting them in the same light as PJ, Seals or othe special foces.  Only here on this board is anyone equating CAP Rangers with them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

I downloaded the U.S. Supplement to the IAMSARMAN http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg534/manuals/Natl_SAR_Supp.pdf dated May 2000....and I did a word search....and I found

Quote2.12.3 DOD resources that may be available to assist include Air Force pararescue personnel, and specialized teams such as Army, Navy, and Air Force explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) teams, Navy sea-air-land (SEAL) teams, or CAP ranger teams.
emphasis mine.

It's official folks....live with it.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: lordmonar on March 24, 2009, 01:32:40 AM
I downloaded the U.S. Supplement to the IAMSARMAN http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg534/manuals/Natl_SAR_Supp.pdf dated May 2000....and I did a word search....and I found

Quote2.12.3 DOD resources that may be available to assist include Air Force pararescue personnel, and specialized teams such as Army, Navy, and Air Force explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) teams, Navy sea-air-land (SEAL) teams, or CAP ranger teams.
emphasis mine.

It's official folks....live with it.

Hummmm...seems like maybe we need to "beef up" CAP ground forces.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RedFox24

This may be considered off topic, if it is please excuse the post, it is not intended to hijack it.

Back in the mid to late 1970's, when I joined as a cadet, there was a Ranger program and CAP ground teams were called Ranger Teams, or at least they were here in Illinois.  I never heard the phrase "Ground Team" until early to mid 1980's. 

I have, in box in my storage shed, a copy of the Ranger Manual and also a copy of the draft manual with all the editing marks in it given to me by one of the authors in the late 1980's.  Somewhere in those boxes I also have some slides of "Ranger Training" conducted here in Illinois Wing, complete with the old military jeeps, rappelling, and I forget what all else.  Circa 1975-1979 ?? I think. 

A lot of these people had been to Hawk Mountian or a similar program I believe. 

I do not know if this was a nation wide program or just a wing/region program.  I remember that shortly after I joined CAP that the program was winding down as Illinois moved from Sector to Group commands.  At about the same time NCSA offered the first US Air Force Academy Survival Course and PJOC the same year.  I went to PJOC and another cadet in our unit went to the Survival School.  By the time I was ready to go to the Survival School, it wasn't offered anymore.  Hawk Mountian was pushed and so was Blue Beret for Ground Teams............. 

Again I think I remember correctly, that was a long time ago.   Olefido can shed some light on this as well, he joined before I did. 

I am not saying that this is what the original post refers to.  It is just one of those funny things I remember from 30+ years ago when I joined CAP and have kept in my collection of CAP keepsakes that I treasure for some odd reason. 

Maybe the CAP historians can shed some light on this.............
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

sardak

And an earlier version,
National Search and Rescue Manual, Vol I: National Search and Rescue System

CHAIRMAN, JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF, Washington, D.C. 20318-0200

Joint Pub 3-50, COMDTINST M16120.5A, 1 February 1991

page 2-10, section 233

C. Air Force pararescuemen are highly trained land SAR personnel and the first considered for supervision of ground search teams. Specialized teams such as Army, Navy, and Air Force explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) teams, Navy sea-air-land (SEAL) teams, or CAP ranger teams should be considered next.

D. Nonmilitary governmental SAR teams, such as those of county sheriffs, and United States Forest and National Park Services are normally also well qualified. Privately organized, amateur rescue teams active in land SAR exist nationwide. Volunteers may be used for land search missions if appropriate equipment and supervision are provided. Chapter 8 provides guidance for land SRU use.
--------------

Mike

CAP_truth

The Pennsylvania Wing's Hawk Mountain was originally named Pennsylvania Ranger School back in the late 60s and early 70s.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

alamrcn

It's used all over Civil Air Patrol in many ways...

A certain image or mystique implied or not, for us - it's just another name. Just like "tactical", "special", "counter", "operations" and many others that we tack onto our groups, programs or training schools.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: alamrcn on March 24, 2009, 02:29:36 AMA certain image or mystique implied or not, for us - it's just another name. Just like "tactical", "special", "counter", "operations" and many others that we tack onto our groups, programs or training schools.

Doesn't NAPA have "counter operations"? And can you get parts on "special orders"?

Yip, the words don't always mean the same thing....  >:D

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.