Movement of CAP-USAF and State Directors to 1st AF and state National Guard

Started by RiverAux, January 19, 2009, 04:45:30 AM

RiverAux

As far as general policy and "strategic" considerations, you're probably right about that.  However, I am thinking of more (for lack of a better word) "tactical" considerations regarding current operations within the US.   

ELTHunter

Quote from: PHall on January 20, 2009, 02:05:06 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on January 20, 2009, 12:53:55 AM
Quote from: ELTHunter on January 20, 2009, 12:38:24 AM
What about the Air Force Reserve Command?  I would think that would be a nice fit.  Still a direct command of the USAF (not under state authority), but they are familiar with a citizen/airman type of role.
A bit better fit than a STATE DEFENSE FORCE model. 

AFRC only has a FEDERAL mission while the ANG has both a FEDERAL and a STATE mission.

The ANG model is a much better fit to CAP especially since 2000 when the Aux On/Aux Off came about.

I'm all for getting some "adult" supervision for CAP, Lord knows we could use it.

However, doesn't the Guard only have a Federal mission when they are activated?  Full timers are state employees?  My concern with being under a Fed/State duel organization would be that non Federal activities of CAP would not be supported.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

ELTHunter

Quote from: RiverAux on January 22, 2009, 07:37:16 PM
As far as general policy and "strategic" considerations, you're probably right about that.  However, I am thinking of more (for lack of a better word) "tactical" considerations regarding current operations within the US.   

Tactically, why not put us under the same command as AFRCC since that's who we usually work for any way?
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

RiverAux

smj58501

Quote from: ELTHunter on January 23, 2009, 04:20:18 PM
Quote from: PHall on January 20, 2009, 02:05:06 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on January 20, 2009, 12:53:55 AM
Quote from: ELTHunter on January 20, 2009, 12:38:24 AM
What about the Air Force Reserve Command?  I would think that would be a nice fit.  Still a direct command of the USAF (not under state authority), but they are familiar with a citizen/airman type of role.
A bit better fit than a STATE DEFENSE FORCE model. 

AFRC only has a FEDERAL mission while the ANG has both a FEDERAL and a STATE mission.

The ANG model is a much better fit to CAP especially since 2000 when the Aux On/Aux Off came about.

I'm all for getting some "adult" supervision for CAP, Lord knows we could use it.

However, doesn't the Guard only have a Federal mission when they are activated?  Full timers are state employees?  My concern with being under a Fed/State duel organization would be that non Federal activities of CAP would not be supported.

The Guard has a federal mission when they go on title 10, most often for deployment overseas. The rest of the time they are in title 32 status, or under the control of their respective Governor. For state emergencies they are often activated under state active duty, and become basically temporary employees of their state.

A dual status identity would work just fine for CAP. Those activities under a "Federal" status (for AFRCC, for eg) would remain unchanged. Those activites of CAP under the direction of the Governor would simply have to be supported by a state, just like any other state agency, and just like the NG when they are on State Active Duty. If their response is part of a disaster that ends up with a Presidential Declaration under the Stafford Act, a large percentage of the states response costs (incl CAP) could be picked up by FEMA.

Bottom line is a dual status identity can only increase the ways we can support our community, and increase our relevance as an organization. Will there be challenges... of course. But there always are when you are trying to evolve and improve
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP