Main Menu

CAP pensions

Started by RiverAux, November 29, 2008, 03:01:32 PM

RiverAux

QuoteNow, as to CAP-RAP and points.  Yes however, the CAP-RAP members work for the USAF; not CAP.  Their job is to provide CAP-USAF support (I know this is a technicality but, it's true).
Yep, its true that the AF is giving them pension benefits based on volunteer service to CAP-USAF and the AF.  CAP members provide volunteer service to the AF.  Just pointing out that the volunteer-barrier has already been busted here. 

It is true that benefits (if any) can vary widely among volunteer fire departments and other volunteer agencies.  Some don't get squat and others get quite a bit.

As to death benefits, I think the AF should pony up the same death benefits to CAP members that they provide to any civilian employee killed while on duty.  I've got no clue as to what they might be though, but it is probably higher than CAP.

As to providing specifically benefits to CAP members through the states, that is going to be a tough sell.  Better to frame it as benefits available to all emergency service volunteers as the obvioius and legitimate question they would have is why is it their duty to provide benefits to the auxiliary of a federal military service. 

SarDragon

The CAP-RAP may accrue his retirement points earlier, but he still doesn't get paid retirement until he turns 60.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cecil DP

Quote from: SarDragon on February 03, 2009, 04:01:57 AM
The CAP-RAP may accrue his retirement points earlier, but he still doesn't get paid retirement until he turns 60.

And he still has to have a minimum of 20 years of service.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

wingnut55

Excellent Point, I totally forgot about the Hundreds of USAF officers getting retirement points, they do what??

Now what is it they exactly do??
not the full time people, I fail to see what they do either??

O-Rex

Quote from: wingnut55 on February 03, 2009, 10:55:32 AM

Excellent Point, I totally forgot about the Hundreds of USAF officers getting retirement points, they do what??

They put their names in the raffle to get called into the sandbox, I know of a few that did....

I don't need a CAP pension, just discount my membership at regular intervals: 10% after 10 years, 25% after 20 years, etc.

RiverAux

Quote from: SarDragon on February 03, 2009, 04:01:57 AM
Doesn't negate the fact that he/she is getting credit for time served as a volunteer.  In fact what it does is take their name out of the hat for the sandbox years earlier than it would otherwise while they get credit as if they were in that lottery.

By the way, I'm all for the CAP-RAP program and these benefits for those participating in it. 

Ned

Quote from: RiverAux on February 03, 2009, 02:53:11 PMDoesn't negate the fact that he/she is getting credit for time served as a volunteer.  In fact what it does is take their name out of the hat for the sandbox years earlier than it would otherwise while they get credit as if they were in that lottery.

Hmmm.  As a member of the retired reserve, I am still eligible for recall to the sandbox until I actually retire at age 60.  So I'm not sure why you think the CAP RAP folks are somehow "getting over" on their mobilization status.

Many, if not most, of the CAP RAP folks I have met would probably just be sitting in their "IRR" pool doing nothing except correspondence courses to earn points if they were not helping out CAP.

Also, I'm not sure I would call would they do "volunteering."  I agree that they don't get paid for some of their work, but their are a significant number of paid mandays distributed through CAP RAP channels for things like SAR EVALs, SAVs, etc.  From what I've seen, these days typically go toward the more active CAP RAPS, so a lot of unpaid time leads to some paid time. 

And even if all they get are "points" for a given CAP duty, that is fairly valuable.  All those points add up and turn into cash when the officer hits 60 and draws her/his reserve retirement.

What they do is invaluable for CAP.  There are some things we couldn't do without them.  But they are professional military officers, not volunteers, their pay status notwithstanding.

gistek

Rather than pension benefits, I'd like to see CAP offer group discounts wherever possible. The medical insurance is a start. Perhaps CAP could negotiate reductions for life, auto, homeowners, and renter's with some insurance companies.

An unmatched, tax-deferred fund (Roth, 401K) for retirement or education would be nice. I know investment is a dirty word these days, but I'd rather have rolled my 401K into a CAP fund for small transfer fee than the $500 I paid to set up my personal fund after I was laid off.

It's even possible for the fund to pay its own costs by offering lower interest/dividends for the first few years, permitting loans, and charging a maintenance fee (reduce % earned) on accounts held by people who let their membership lapse.

RiverAux

QuoteHmmm.  As a member of the retired reserve, I am still eligible for recall to the sandbox until I actually retire at age 60
True, but you've got to admit that the chances of you getting recalled from retirement are much less than that of somebody who would have continued to be a drilling Reservist if they hadn't gotten to retire early because of their CAPRAP service. 

QuoteBut they are professional military officers, not volunteers, their pay status notwithstanding.
Mostly true (some CAP-RAPs are NCOs), but many CAP members are professionals in their own right and also happen to volunteer some of their time to the Air Force through CAP. 

QuoteAnd even if all they get are "points" for a given CAP duty, that is fairly valuable.  All those points add up and turn into cash when the officer hits 60 and draws her/his reserve retirement.
That is exactly what I've been saying -- they are getting a valuable benefit for time spent as a volunteer.  I bring this up because one of the primary reasons people have said that they don't like this idea is that they believe volunteer service should not come without any financial incentives.  Thanks to my late-to-the-ballgame CAP-RAP example, I have successfully pointed out that the AF is already giving financial benefits for volunteering your time to work with CAP so there is no logical reason that they couldn't do the same for CAP members.

Now, the only remaining problem would be paying for it -- and I by no means believe that this would be a small hurdle. 

QuoteRather than pension benefits, I'd like to see CAP offer group discounts wherever possible. The medical insurance is a start. Perhaps CAP could negotiate reductions for life, auto, homeowners, and renter's with some insurance companies.
CAP has been doing this sort of thing for a while, but for the most part I've been unimpressed with what they've come up with.