Online gun store gives Law Enforcment Discount to CAP members

Started by RNOfficer, May 07, 2016, 10:12:30 PM

RNOfficer

I found an online gun store that has low prices AND gives the LAW ENFORCEMENT discount to CAP members. Of course, the gun must be sent to your local FFL for paperwork and pickup. Takes credit cards and gives 3% discount for "cash" which includes money order and personal checks.

Price example Ruger LC9S 9MM 3.12 7RD BL $373 MINUS LEO discount. Ships free.

Message me for more info.

thebeggerpie

PHall

How big is this "Law Enforcement Discount"? ??? May not be worth the trouble.

Damron

Quote from: thebeggerpie on May 07, 2016, 10:43:47 PM
I have a real fishy feeling about this...

About as fishy as me handing you a coupon for a Big Mac.   Why do you say that?

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on May 07, 2016, 10:46:02 PM

Yup.  Honestly I see an ethical issue here too.  We are not first responders by any means and I'd be wary of any onlinediscounts when it comes to firearms. 

Plus your local FFL shop fees would probably chew up anything saved by a discount anyway.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 07, 2016, 11:12:52 PM

Yup.  Honestly I see an ethical issue here too.  We are not first responders by any means and I'd be wary of any onlinediscounts when it comes to firearms. 

Plus your local FFL shop fees would probably chew up anything saved by a discount anyway.

I don't see the ethical issue. CAP isn't going to be taking these firearms and wouldn't be buying them or holding title.

Damron

What's the ethical concern?  A retailer has chosen to extend a discount to CAP members. 

abdsp51

Quote from: Damron on May 07, 2016, 11:29:58 PM

Yup.  Honestly I see an ethical issue here too.  We are not first responders by any means and I'd be wary of any online discounts when it comes to firearms. 

What's the ethical concern?  A retailer has chosen to extend a discount to CAP members.

They can offer a different type of discount.  Sorry but we are not LE in any shape or fashion and taking advantage of it cheapens it to those who perform that function.  I can tell you that if I was still wearing a badge and was doing business with this company I would no longer shop with them and advise my friends and family to do the same. 

The point of most LE discounts is to show gratitude and to lessen the cost of equipment since there are agencies across the country who do not issue firearms for their officers. 

I'm willing to bet this came about because someone hyped up what we do....

RNOfficer

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 07, 2016, 11:38:23 PM

Yup.  Honestly I see an ethical issue here too.  We are not first responders by any means and I'd be wary of any online discounts when it comes to firearms. 

They can offer a different type of discount.  Sorry but we are not LE in any shape or fashion and taking advantage of it cheapens it to those who perform that function.  I can tell you that if I was still wearing a badge and was doing business with this company I would no longer shop with them and advise my friends and family to do the same. 

Sorry, I should have been clearer. This is a "professional discount" which is the same amount as a "law enforcement discount" Available to:

Active or Retired Military personnel - all branches
    National Guard personnel - all branches
    Military Reserve personnel - all branches
    CAP - Civil Air Patrol

Fire Fighters - including volunteers
    Paramedics and EMTs

TSA Employees
    Commercial Pilots
    Federal Flight Deck Officers

Court Judges
    District and Deputy District Attorneys

All sworn or retired Law Enforcement Officers - city, county, state, and federal
    All Corrections Officers
    State Licensed Security Companies

Damron

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 07, 2016, 11:38:23 PM

The point of most LE discounts is to show gratitude and to lessen the cost of equipment since there are agencies across the country who do not issue firearms for their officers. 

I'm willing to bet this came about because someone hyped up what we do....

It takes some mental gymnastics to find an ethical issue here.  Without any evidence, you are suggesting that a retailer must be ignorant of the nature of CAP because he might have tossed CAP in the LE or military category.

CAP has negotiated a number of discount for its members.  These discounts often show up as a "military discount".  Do you want to waste the time of the retail employee, explaining that the the discount should be placed in its own unique category?  They don't care, they are using the discount code they were told to use.

It's been 20 years since I've heard of a LE agency that requires an officer to purchase their primary firearm - and I know a bunch of cops and a bunch of gun retailers.

Do you chase down military personnel that saluted you by mistake in passing, explaining the nature and status of CAP, or do you just return the salute?   

By the way, the primary purpose of most discounts is to increase revenue through increased sales in a competitive environment.  Most companies that offer military discounts or LE discounts also offer discounts to senior citizens.  So, the respect towards LE and military isn't any greater than that directed towards old folks ... that might be horrible people.

kwe1009

Also, I highly doubt that CAP actually negotiated this.  The company simply chose to include CAP in a discount program they offer.  Many companies do this and I don't see any ethical issue or anything fishy about it.  I would have an issue if the company didn't specify CAP and a person was trying to convince them that CAP is part of the Air Force and should get their military discount.  This doesn't seem to be the case here.

Damron

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 08, 2016, 12:36:36 AM
Also, I highly doubt that CAP actually negotiated this.  The company simply chose to include CAP in a discount program they offer.  Many companies do this and I don't see any ethical issue or anything fishy about it.  I would have an issue if the company didn't specify CAP and a person was trying to convince them that CAP is part of the Air Force and should get their military discount.  This doesn't seem to be the case here.

I wasn't suggesting that CAP was involved.  I was pointing out that even when CAP is involved we end up in categories that are obviously inaccurate.

abdsp51

Quote from: Damron on May 08, 2016, 12:20:40 AM
It takes some mental gymnastics to find an ethical issue here.  Without any evidence, you are suggesting that a retailer must be ignorant of the nature of CAP because he might have tossed CAP in the LE or military category.

CAP has negotiated a number of discount for its members.  These discounts often show up as a "military discount".  Do you want to waste the time of the employee explaining that the the discount should be placed in its own unique category?  They don't care, they are using the discount code they were told to use.

It's been 20 years since I've heard of a LE agency that requires an officer to purchase their primary firearm - and I know a bunch of cops and a bunch of gun retailers.

Do you chase down military personnel that saluted you by mistake in passing, explaining the nature and status of CAP, or do you just return the salute?   

By the way, the primary purpose of most discounts is to increase revenue through increased sales in a competitive environment.  Most companies that offer military discounts or LE discounts also offer discounts to senior citizens.  So, the respect towards LE and military isn't any greater than that directed towards old folks ... that might be horrible people.

CAP is not nor ever will be part of the military and therefore should not be lumped into the same category as the military for discounts. 

Most places may not care and are just doing what they are told but having CAP receive a military discount when it is not the military helps to keep the cycle going of what members think we are entitled to.

In the past 10-15 years when I was looking at agencies to apply for there were few that would have required me to buy my own equipment to include firearm. 

One I don't chase down anyone who salutes because for one it just doesn't happen and two if it did I just carry on. 

Most gun shops don't have a lot of competition when it comes to sales and we can hoot and holler all day long about different discounts the purpose etc.  Bottom line CAP is not the military and should not be asking for or taking advantage of military discounts.

GroundHawg

Buds has been giving this discount for YEARS....

I own a gun store and sell gear to CAP member at cost and have yet to have anyone complain.

This might be the first time I have ever heard of people complaining about a store that values their service so much that they offer them a discount. I swear everyday that I have seen it all and that nothing can surprise me. Yet everyday, I am shocked. Today it is this post. I cant even...

Holding Pattern

Yup.  Honestly I see an ethical issue here too.  We are not first responders by any means

Please be sure to let the National First Responders Organization know: http://www.nfro.org/who.html

abdsp51

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 08, 2016, 12:53:41 AM

Yup.  Honestly I see an ethical issue here too.  We are not first responders by any means

Please be sure to let the National First Responders Organization know: http://www.nfro.org/who.html

Got something better????  We are not first responders...

Damron

I'm thinking I need to cancel  my AF Association and NFRO memberships.  I don't think these associations have categorized CAP correctly.   To not cancel my memberships would be disrespectful to first responders and those that have served in the AF.

Luis R. Ramos

Only one word I have after this message.

Silly.

Another word.

Childish.

I should stop now or I am going to be banned from this site.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 08, 2016, 01:39:52 AM

Silly.

Another word.

Childish.

Luis, they would never ban you.  Give you detention maybe, but no ban! >:D

Damron

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 08, 2016, 01:39:52 AM

Silly.

Another word.

Childish.

Words have meaning. Identify the items you think are silly or childish.  At what point did you lose your confidence?