Turtle1

Marybeth Williams
Major, CAP

resq1192

Congrats, 73s and welcome on the air!

KB1PFB
"LOAD UP!"

fokkerfrenzy

I had the thought that it would be neat if we had a meeting place for CAP hams, but I wouldn't even know how to start putting something like that together.

blackbrandt

I want to get a HAM certification, solely for the purpose of using certain radio trackers in rocketry.

Oh well, someday...  :)
C/MSgt Matt Fletcher

RALEIGH WAKE!!

SarDragon

I had experience in electronics through the Navy, but I went to a cram class to fill in the gaps in my knowledge, and got my license in one day.  Any prior study is helpful, but here were several people in the class who were clearly novices in the field when they got there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SarDragon on March 25, 2014, 07:51:56 PM
I had experience in electronics through the Navy, but I went to a cram class to fill in the gaps in my knowledge, and got my license in one day.  Any prior study is helpful, but here were several people in the class who were clearly novices in the field when they got there.

For my tech I just did one of the online study things and passed. They asked if I wanted to do the next step up while I was there but I declined.

SarDragon

You took an online test for your license? I know that there are practice exams available, but was not aware that a real licensing exam could be done online. All I'm aware of are the VLE proctored tests.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

FOKKERFENZY: I had the thought that it would be neat if we had a meeting place for CAP hams, but I wouldn't even know how to start putting something like that together.

--> As I mentioned in my post: We could setup an echolink conference room and meet there. I know a lot of hams use echolink as a link or repeater station. If they don't, they can easily download the software on their computer and go from there.

I think this would be a possibility to get all the hams in CAP together independent their location.

73's  LX1MG 

Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SarDragon on March 25, 2014, 11:46:28 PM
You took an online test for your license? I know that there are practice exams available, but was not aware that a real licensing exam could be done online. All I'm aware of are the VLE proctored tests.

I did online study, then passed the proctored test without any trouble. Point being that its not hard to pass without formal training.

fokkerfrenzy

Agreed, I did pretty much all of my studying online.  Passed tech and general in one sitting with 92% on each, and never used a book.

fokkerfrenzy

I'll have to look into echolink, never really heard much about it.  In other news, I'll be bouncing around 10,20,40 meters tonight if anyone wants to qso.

Simplex

Congrats 73's KC8DZJ.  There are at least 10 other hams in my squadron of about 60 seniors.

Brad

Quote from: NHQ-OS-126 Frank on March 26, 2014, 08:15:41 AM
FOKKERFENZY: I had the thought that it would be neat if we had a meeting place for CAP hams, but I wouldn't even know how to start putting something like that together.

--> As I mentioned in my post: We could setup an echolink conference room and meet there. I know a lot of hams use echolink as a link or repeater station. If they don't, they can easily download the software on their computer and go from there.

I think this would be a possibility to get all the hams in CAP together independent their location.

73's  LX1MG

I do similar with some Freemasonry brothers of mine, we have an Echolink conference once a week and discuss current and upcoming events in our lodges and whatnot. We're from all over but it's like we're right there, it's a great way to meet people from all over!
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

KF6YVD

Congrats on your license!

73s de KF6YVD

Steven A. Lindquist
CAP SWR-NM-811 Communications Officer
CAP SWR-NM-811 Information Technologies Officer
CAP SWR-NM-811 Asst. Leadership Officer
Amateur Radio Callsign - KF6YVD
Steven A. Lindquist
SWR-NM-811 Communications Officer
SWR-NM-811 Information Technologies Officer
SWR-NM-811 Asst. Cadet Programs Officer
SWR-NM-811 Asst. Leadership Officer
Amateur Radio Callsign - KF6YVD

JeffDG

Quote from: Brad on March 27, 2014, 02:06:41 AM
I do similar with some Freemasonry brothers of mine, we have an Echolink conference once a week and discuss current and upcoming events in our lodges and whatnot. We're from all over but it's like we're right there, it's a great way to meet people from all over!

So, that's how the Freemasons plot world domination... :D

Garibaldi

There is an Echolink app for the iphone and android. My dad has been trying to get me on it for sometime now. You can even take a picture of your license and send it in as opposed to mailing a copy.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Jaison009

It is super easy to use once approved.
Quote from: Garibaldi on March 30, 2014, 11:03:21 PM
There is an Echolink app for the iphone and android. My dad has been trying to get me on it for sometime now. You can even take a picture of your license and send it in as opposed to mailing a copy.

Stringflyer

Guess the keyboard is more popular, but being a Ham, to me means getting on the radio and communicating. Using the Internet is not a bit like Ham radio. Although there is a great online CW group that uses Mumble interface for running live CW. If you ever get a net/group on the air, let me know......SSB or CW, I'm good!
73....Walter - K5EST - MO110

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Stringflyer on March 31, 2014, 08:42:41 PM
Guess the keyboard is more popular, but being a Ham, to me means getting on the radio and communicating. Using the Internet is not a bit like Ham radio. Although there is a great online CW group that uses Mumble interface for running live CW. If you ever get a net/group on the air, let me know......SSB or CW, I'm good!
73....Walter - K5EST - MO110

Echolink, IRLP, D*Star, etc, can and do involve getting on the air - just with perhaps an alternative method of getting there, and no requirement that you are limited thusly.

I use Echolink occasionally from my PC to get on repeaters when I travel, or to get on repeaters "back home" in NY.

I have this fantasy sometimes where CAP does something that acts as a force-multiplier sometimes..  Of course, the thing about dreams is...  Eventually, you have to wake up.

BorgCommander