Any way to make running more effective?

Started by AngelWings, August 25, 2012, 01:08:56 AM

Stonewall

Quote from: AngelWings on August 25, 2012, 04:15:19 PM
One problem: I cannot swim.

Learn!  Beyond being a great way to stay fit, it's an important life skill!  No, it's a necessary life skill!!!
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

Quote from: AngelWings on August 25, 2012, 04:15:19 PM
One problem: I cannot swim  :-[. I've tried before, and I've given it a real effort, but I just sink like a log after a few short meters. I do Kayak though, with a life vest on and a few people who can swim.

20 pounds isn't too hard to lose. How about we run you back through the 12 week weight loss and hearing loss course known as USMC Recruit Training  >:D

HAAAAA  Some mistakes your only dumb enough to make once my brutha! ;D  Whats funny is I had a dream a few months back that I worked out a deal with the recruiter to go back through so I could get back into shape but with no commitment.... crazy the things your brain comes up with when something bothers you!

Hmmmm....Id be curious to know about your swimming?  I know people of all shapes and sizes who swim for fitness.  There is even a guy at the pool who I would describe as morbidly obese (not being funny)  but he gets in the pool and paddles back and forth no problem.  Have you actually had someone actually teach you how to fitness swim?  Because its not the same as jumping in and splashing around for fun.  If its something you dont have access to then its a moot point.  If you are overweight significantly, or just getting into shape, swimming would be a great way to start dropping weight and minimizing injury.  I cringe when I see overweight people out running.  Your body wasnt designed to take that kind of abuse.   Swimming is the best way to trim down.  Once the weight is under control, then put the running into the schedule.  But I look back to when I was in HS (I think your in HS right?) and think of all the services I had access to.  Free gym, free pool, free coaching staff........  If you cant get into shape in HS, or leave HS in decent shape, good luck trying to do it in "real life" when you have a job, kids, bills to pay......  Man.... do it now, do it now, do it now!

Stonewall

A few things I've written in the last year.

Fixed the Nutritional Article.  Should work now. It's in Word and has hyperlink's for reference.
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

When I try and open the "nutrition article" a box pops up that says I need a password. 

Stonewall

I'm out at the Chinese Buffet, I'll get home & fix it. I may have set security settings or something.

Kidding about buffet ;-)
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Private Investigator

When I was in the Marines we had the P.F.T. every quarter and the run was 3 miles. To prepare us our Platoon Sergeant on every Monday, ran us 7 miles, next day 1, next day 3, then 1 1/2, then 3 and Saturday 1 1/2 miles. We had Sunday off. When I became the Platoon Sergeant I followed the same plan. I also got a plan to get you to 80+ situps in less than two minutes.   :clap:

AngelWings

Quote from: Private Investigator on August 25, 2012, 07:39:18 PM
When I was in the Marines we had the P.F.T. every quarter and the run was 3 miles. To prepare us our Platoon Sergeant on every Monday, ran us 7 miles, next day 1, next day 3, then 1 1/2, then 3 and Saturday 1 1/2 miles. We had Sunday off. When I became the Platoon Sergeant I followed the same plan. I also got a plan to get you to 80+ situps in less than two minutes.   :clap:
80+ sit-ups? Could you explain?  ;)

Shawn W.

Quote20 pounds isn't too hard to lose. How about we run you back through the 12 week weight loss and hearing loss course known as USMC Recruit Training 

I've been tryin to lose 20 lbs for three years..  :(   Still no luck..

AngelWings

Quote from: Shawn Warneke on August 25, 2012, 10:31:28 PM
Quote20 pounds isn't too hard to lose. How about we run you back through the 12 week weight loss and hearing loss course known as USMC Recruit Training 

Do what I did. While somewhat extreme and expensive, the Atkins Diet really helped me lose a lot of weight. 50 out of 60 pounds.

SarDragon

You don't need any special diet to lose weight.

There are just two factors involved - how much you eat, and how much you exercise. Reduce the first, and increase the second, and you'll lose weight.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on August 25, 2012, 11:51:41 PM
You don't need any special diet to lose weight.

There are just two factors involved - how much you eat, and how much you exercise. Reduce the first, and increase the second, and you'll lose weight.
Don't need it, but trust me, it is a diet I recommend for anyone really looking to drop weight relatively fast. It worked. My 1st day I called my doctor because I lost a 3 pounds. That week was like biggest loser. While maybe not healthiest thing on could do to lose weight, it does work real fast.

Stonewall

Quote from: Shawn Warneke on August 25, 2012, 10:31:28 PM

Download one of the articles I wrote on the subject above.  Trust me, I speak (write) from personal experience.  It's 80% diet, 20% fitness.
Serving since 1987.

starshippe

in my case, i needed more exercise, and modifications to my diet, because my blood sugar was getting to levels that concerned my doctor. he got my attention by mentioning that diabetics can lose limbs and/or eyesight.

then this article from the bbc dropped into my inbox:   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17177251 . its a most interesting article no matter what ur health is.

my doctor arranged for me to get a small machine that measured my blood sugar, so i could  monitor my activities and see the results. it seemed that all i needed was a little exercise. my wife had found a used stair stepper for $15, so that i could get in better shape for the trip to peru. i found that, if i grabbed the handles and pushed as fast as i could, it would certainly qualify for high intensity exercise. generally, if i could keep going for 45 seconds, i could hardly walk when i got off of it. at work, i am walking up the four flights of stairs to my office, instead of taking the elevator, at least once a day. 

one big benefit for me is being able to watch a braves baseball game while i exercise.

in addition, i have greatly reduced the processed sugar that i am taking in. i am getting natural sugar now from the grocery store. and, processed sugar substitutes or artificial sweeteners, especially aspartame, are not used at all.

this is working very well for me.

good luck,

bill

Майор Хаткевич

Broke down and ordered P90X. Need some structure to my exercise (and maybe wear Blues/BDUs once I get to Capt). Along with the caveman diet I should be good.

rugger1869

[lmgtfy]How can I improve my running?[/lmgtfy]

Stonewall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 26, 2012, 07:00:46 AM
Broke down and ordered P90X. Need some structure to my exercise (and maybe wear Blues/BDUs once I get to Capt). Along with the caveman diet I should be good.

I will say this time and time again.  And yes, this is based on personal experience - weight loss is 80% diet/nutrition and 20% fitness/exercise.  I have always worked out on a regular basis (4 to 5 days) a week, but at one point in my life, when I had managed to put on 30+ lbs "overnight", I had to take a close look at my diet (food intake, nutrition, portion size, carbs, calories, etc).  When I got that under control (and it wasn't difficult), that extra 30+ lbs came off nicely.  I did increase my workouts to include more time spent on cardio exercises, but my issue (like most peoples') was DIET.  Not dieting, but your diet.

One of my best friends is a US Marshal and serves with me in the Guard.  He has done P90X several times and is active in Krav Maga.  He still failed his USAF PT test because of his waist.  His diet is what kills him.  He is strong, without a doubt.  But it's his diet that kills him.

By the way....

Quote from: Stonewall on August 25, 2012, 03:51:13 PMIn fact, today at 1900, I'm running the 48th annual Beach Race (5 miles).  The first time I ran it I was 10 in 5th grade.

I sucked at yesterday's beach run.  4 minutes slower than last year and 2:45 slower than my goal of 40 minutes or faster.  Conditions were pretty harsh with softer than usual sand, a high water line (even at low tide) due to the TS out in the Atlantic, and some serious wind in the face for the 2 1/2 mile return north.  I didn't expect to beat my time last year, but I did expect to meet my goal of 40 minutes.  Overall I placed 164 out of 937 runners.  5 miles in 42:45 is a 8:33 pace.
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 26, 2012, 07:00:46 AM

With P90X, if youve never researched it you need to get the program, watch it, go through the books and the diet and understand it.  Dont just get it on Monday and pop it in and think your going to keep up with it.  It will require you to (more than likely) significantly alter your life for 90 days.  And a HUGE part of P90X is the diet plan.  And it can be a little pricey.  If you dont do the plan as it is designed, its not going to work.  If you do, which I have, within a month youll look in the mirror and notice significant changes in your appearance.  I only got about 6 weeks into it, got the flu, life got in the way and 100 other excuses, but I lost about 15lbs and I really wasnt following the diet, I just cut out a lot of garbage and drank gallons of water a day! 

When I got it, I actually put it off for about 3 weeks because my wife had just come home from the grocery store when it came in, and I realized that I couldnt eat most of what she brought home!  So I made a start date about 3 weeks later.  Also what it showed was that were were just buying junk at the store.  Not junk food, but a lot of pastas, breads, things loaded with carbs......

Stonewall

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 26, 2012, 03:24:48 PMAnd a HUGE part of P90X is the diet plan.

As I always say, weight loss and/or maintenance is 80% diet.

I don't expect anyone to have read my papers above, but in one of them (lower carb meal plan) discusses "name brand diets".  Whether it be Atkins or Jenny Craig, ALL diets have one thing in common, they're temporary.  No one, and I mean NO ONE, can live their life on Atkins (extreme low carb).  Sure you'll get results really fast, but I guarantee you'll not only fall off the wagon, but you'll end up worse than when you started.

A guy at work spent a ton of money at some diet place where he got shots of something (B12?) and was drowning himself in water all day.  This, like so many other diets, are too extreme to last.  Not only has he gained all the weight back (45 lbs) and more, he's out a lot of money.  People roll their eyes at my preaching about diet & exercise because they think I'M extreme, but it's so friggin easy, you just have to educate yourself.  It took me all of 2 weeks to get everything under control and really grasp the concept.

I don't preach low carbs, I preach LOWER CARBS.  As in, less than the average American takes in daily.   

Edit:  I had to make some corrections because I was typing fast and had a 4 & 6 year old begging me for some trigger time on my son's new BB gun.
Serving since 1987.