Submitting Photos/Stories to USAF

Started by Tubacap, July 18, 2008, 02:59:27 PM

Tubacap

Every now and then I hit af.mil to read some of the stories.  They always have an awesome "This Week in Photos" section.  Has anyone ever tried to submit a story/photo to this venue? 

Is this something that we can do, or should it go through NHQ?  It seems we could at least publicize to our parent org showing something cool every now in then in photos.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

mikeylikey

I strongly believe it is something the paid staffers at NHQ should be doing.  OR maybe one of the 50+ Wing Administrators assigned to each wing can do. 
What's up monkeys?

CAP Producer

Hi,

It's a good idea to generate more publicity by getting stories and pictures on www.af.mil

I think that this is something on NHQ/PA's radar. But I want to let you know what the process is.

If you want to submit a story/pic for the AF.mil website your PAO should be sending the item to NHQ/PA (with copies to Wing and Region.)

NHQ must submit these items thru Air University/PA up to AETC/PA and then to Air Force News Service before it would be considered for publication on www.af.mil

As far as using a Wing Administrator for that job it is not appropriate. They are clerical/fiscal staff and nothing more.

Once submitted, will they get published? Doubtful.

The AF has hundreds of paid PA Troops and civilian PA staff to create Air Force Oriented content for that site. If we do something that is truly newsworthy (major national/regional mission) then I could see us getting a mention, a picture or a story published.

They have done so with major news items like Hurricanes Katrina/Rita and Wreath's Across America.

Please remember that the AF News mission is to "gather, package and disseminate printed and electronic news and information products during wartime and peacetime." that reflects well on the Air Force and it's components.

Yes,  CAP is a component but a small one and frankly we don't get on their news radar much. Sorry but it's the truth. We are a nation at war and that war related news takes priority.

But we can deal with that. We don't need to sulk or complain because the AF won't or can't tell our story.

Remember that we have our own website and it is getting better about telling our stories. CAP Online News is a great news service and the Volunteer is a wonderful magazine.

Can they be improved. Absolutely.  And we (NHQ/PA the Region PAO's and Senior Field PAO's) are working on making them better every day.

If you have any constructive ideas to make them better please post away.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

mikeylikey

^ Perhaps we can get the Air Force to move the CAP link up the page, instead of the bottom of the page at www.af.mil   "CAP" starts with a "C", the list is in alphabetical order.......we know what the AF really thinks of CAP, by placing it on the bottom of the list. 
What's up monkeys?