Working with Universities and ROTC

Started by Tubacap, August 14, 2007, 03:09:34 PM

Tubacap

To the masses:
I'm starting down a relationship with our local university, and am wondering if you have any experience in the following.
1.  Working with Army ROTC
2.  Working providing the squadron as a practical experience for majors

The university is very excited about forming a bond with the local squadron and we even went so far as to discuss scholarships for students from the University to participate in the program.

I am particularly interested about ROTC program.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Tubacap on August 14, 2007, 03:09:34 PM

Do you mean having the CAP Officers that are around Maj or so working with the ROTC Detachment Commanders for an OJT type of thing?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

floridacyclist

Or inviting the students to work with the squadron like an internship?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

jimmydeanno

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 14, 2007, 03:16:50 PM
Or inviting the students to work with the squadron like an internship?

HA, I get it now...majors, not Majors :)

I guess that makes more sense - those students that are majoring in Leadership or Volunteer Organizational Management or something becoming members and using the experience as their internship requirement...

Good Call Gene :)

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Walkman

Our Squadron meets in the Military Science building at USU, also home to Army and AIR FORCE ROTC. So far the few meetings I've been to there doesn't seem to be anything going on between the us & them, since we have to have campus security open the building for us. Maybe now that school's about to start again, there will be more interaction.

I'll find out what stuff we do (if any) and let you know.

Tubacap

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 14, 2007, 03:14:38 PM
Quote from: Tubacap on August 14, 2007, 03:09:34 PM

Do you mean having the CAP Officers that are around Maj or so working with the ROTC Detachment Commanders for an OJT type of thing?

Both.  I would like to see the ROTC cadets doing training for/with our cadets and officers.  Likewise I think that there is a fair amount of OJT that could be used for college credit.  I.e. using PAO for your Public Affairs degree or Squadron Finance Officer for the Accounting degree.
NER-PA-001

mikeylikey

Not a bad idea.....However, Army ROTC training is geared toward combat skills and leading soldiers.  Totally different from what CAP does.  Freshman and Sophomore classes are geared toward educating the student on the Army.  They also dive into simplistic leadership topics.  Those classes are mostly taught by enlisted instructors.  The Junior year class is focused very heavily on combat operations and preparing the student for the summer "camp".  Those classes are usually taught by an Officer. The Senior year is usually focused on preparing the student for life on Active Duty.  That class moves away from the combat focus and concentrates on how to do enlisted evaluation reports, figure out financial matters (pay....travel card) and preparation for the Officer Basic Course and Basic Officer Leader Training. 

There are activities that may be beneficial such as Water survival or CPR and First Aid.  They may also be in search of volunteers to play Opposing Forces on one of their FTX's. 

When I went through ROTC, we had the business school and a bunch of CAP cadets from Philadelphia join us at Fort Indiantown Gap (a dirty dust hole that doesn't deserve to be a fort) for time on the leaders reaction course and some weapons familiarization.  It was fun. That was like 10 years ago, so I don't know if they still do that. 

What school are you looking to get together with?
What's up monkeys?

Tubacap

Mansfield University, which the ROTC program is actually through Lock Haven currently.

You mean you didn't enjoy chasing ground hogs around FTIG?  What fun would the summer be without a little lead paint and groundhogs?

What are some skills that we use that are  similar?  Ground Nav and First aid are naturals, but do we do anything else?
NER-PA-001

JC004

Quote from: Tubacap on August 14, 2007, 05:15:44 PM
Mansfield University, which the ROTC program is actually through Lock Haven currently.

You mean you didn't enjoy chasing ground hogs around FTIG?  What fun would the summer be without a little lead paint and groundhogs?

You have nooo idea how much of that lead paint I have consumed in the past 8 years (very tasty, though)...

As for the groundhogs...RUN AWAY!

Tubacap

Slept with your mouth open in the top bunk a lot did you?
NER-PA-001

JC004

Quote from: Tubacap on August 14, 2007, 06:39:02 PM
Slept with your mouth open in the top bunk a lot did you?

No, I eat the chips when I am bored.  They are pretty good.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Tubacap on August 14, 2007, 05:15:44 PM

What are some skills that we use that are  similar?  Ground Nav and First aid are naturals, but do we do anything else?

I suppose Communications may be there.  However, the CAP communications practices seem to mirror AF standards.  The Army practices may not be the same.  The ROTC battalions are supposed to do some type of land nav training, but there are alot that just stay inside a classroom and powerpoint the material.  There is very little leadership presented at the leadership labs each week.  It is mostly for the benefit of upperclassman to demonstrate and practice troop leading procedures in preparation for "Camp".  Some battalions have a colorguard and most have a ranger challenge team.  They do the land nav, and high speed PT training like 3 times a week and on weekends.  They would be the ones you may want to get involved with.  However they are pretty heavy on the combat side also. 

It all depends on what you want to get from teaming up with the unit.  You may be more successful at getting members out of the ROTC than joining them for activities and training.  I would set up a meeting with the Professor of Military Science and see if you can actively recruit from his unit.  Offer something, that would get him involved as well.  I am sure he or she may not even know what CAP is.  Nothing like getting an O-5 to join.  He would more than likely bring some of his cadets with him.  He is also the primary waiver authority for all of the cadets in his unit.  My PMS was a CAP member and he let all of the Sophomore cadets out of half the Leadership Labs if they join and were active with CAP.  Once again that was 10 years ago, so I don't know how it work out.

Speaking of Indiantown Gap, in October I am due out that way with ROTC cadets.......it would not be bad to get some CAP cadets out there as well for some LRC action.  I will be sending a letter to Lt Col Lee next month.  I will copy all the SQD Commanders out there in groups 2,3 and 4 as well.  Would like to have you.  Seriously, how could anyone pass up a weekend eating paint chips and getting all dusty at the Gap.
What's up monkeys?

Tubacap

Unfortunately, I am way up in Five... now if we can count just a little higher I might be able to come down!

Thanks for the advice, I never thought about going about it like recruiting the PMS.
NER-PA-001

mikeylikey

^ Not a problem.  Sorry to hear you are up there in 5.  Just kidding.  PM me if you need help with contacts or specifics about something
What's up monkeys?

SKYKING607

The local Army ROTC detachment here is eager to work with the local Cadet Squadrons.  One Major has attempted to contact the local squadrons.  Jury is still out but I regret that the units are not very eager to maintain communications.

*sigh
CAWG Career Captain

Major Carrales

I have yet to approach them about it.  I think I will make contact with the Javalina Battalion at Texas A& M University-Kingsville once school starts next week.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454