Any online writing courses recommended?

Started by AngelWings, July 25, 2012, 04:48:51 AM

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: SarDragon on August 01, 2012, 08:18:40 PM
Classic example:

Last night, I had dinner with my parents, the Pope, and Mother Teresa.

or

Last night, I had dinner with my parents, the Pope and Mother Teresa.

That comma, also known as the Fowler Comma, makes a huge difference.

That extra comma makes your parents the Pope, versus one of a series of people or objects:
"I had dinner with my parents, Mr. and Mrs. Bill Board, and Mother Teresa."

However, here's where it can work to clarify things:
"I had dinner with my parents, Bill and Cuppy Board, and Mother Teresa."

Otherwise, Mother Teresa may become a third wheel in your family:
"I had dinner with my parents, Bill and Cuppy Board and Mother Teresa."

I'm only a fan of that comma when it's required to eliminate confusion. It's superfluous.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

SarDragon

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 02, 2012, 08:42:33 PM
Classic example:

or

That extra comma makes your parents the Pope, versus one of a series of people or objects:

I'm only a fan of that comma when it's required to eliminate confusion. It's superfluous.

In this case, it is NOT superfluous. It defines the specific people eating dinner, and their relationship (or lack thereof). The comma is used as a pause when reading the sentence.

I got this from this guy. He is a retired English professor, who makes his living these days writing books and talking about language.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2012, 02:21:44 AM
Classic example:

or

In this case, it is NOT superfluous. It defines the specific people eating dinner, and their relationship (or lack thereof). The comma is used as a pause when reading the sentence.

I got this from this guy. He is a retired English professor, who makes his living these days writing books and talking about language.

Retired professor. Figures. Well, outside the college environment, it's not used a whole lot.  >:D

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Woodsy

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 04, 2012, 08:47:50 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2012, 02:21:44 AM
Classic example:

or

Retired professor. Figures. Well, outside the college environment, it's not used a whole lot.  >:D

I did a "summer camp for college kids" type of thing my junior year of college at The Florida Times Union (big paper in Jacksonville.)  It wasn't an internship; more of a week-long hands-on experience builder.  It's funny what you say about college professors, because within the first 5 minutes of day one at "newspaper camp" the editor leading the class said "Forget everything you learned in college."

Critical AOA

Quote from: Woodsy on August 04, 2012, 10:02:53 PM
I did a "summer camp for college kids" type of thing my junior year of college at The Florida Times Union (big paper in Jacksonville.)  It wasn't an internship; more of a week-long hands-on experience builder.  It's funny what you say about college professors, because within the first 5 minutes of day one at "newspaper camp" the editor leading the class said "Forget everything you learned in college."

Heck, I know people who seemed to have forgotten everything from K through 12 as well.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Garibaldi

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 04, 2012, 10:46:27 PM

Heck, I know people who seemed to have forgotten everything from K through 12 as well.

just wut the heck ar u incineratin?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Critical AOA

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 04, 2012, 10:58:07 PM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 04, 2012, 10:46:27 PM

just wut the heck ar u incineratin?

nutin'... just sayin' dat sum folks 'round dees here parts seem like dey aint got no edumacation.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

BuckeyeDEJ

People in Jacksonville know how to read?

I keed. I keed. Jacksonville really isn't in Florida, though. Just in name only. The real Florida starts south of I-4, culturally. Jacksonville's the biggest city in south Georgia.

Critical AOA

People say a similar thing about Memphis in that it is a lot more like Mississippi than Tennessee.

SarDragon

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 05, 2012, 01:00:16 AM

I keed. I keed. Jacksonville really isn't in Florida, though. Just in name only. The real Florida starts south of I-4, culturally. Jacksonville's the biggest city in south Georgia.

Jax is almost big enough to be its own state. It's 75% of the size of Rhode Island, and has a higher population density.

Having lived there for three years, I'd still consider it more Florida than Georgia, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Woodsy

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 05, 2012, 01:00:16 AM

Sadly, I can't argue with that.