Any online writing courses recommended?

Started by AngelWings, July 25, 2012, 04:48:51 AM

AngelWings

I've noticed that some of my posts come off or are interpretted in ways so bent from what I was trying to say. I don't know if I have some writing impediment or if I simply speak in something that requires heard tone for it to be understood. I don't like offending people when I am trying to say something completely different than what they think I said. Any help or recommendations on internet tone, internet writing help, or anything that will help me convey my message to be clear and effective?

abdsp51

A good place for you to start with would be the Tongue and Quill.  It is AFH33-337 and can give you ideas, and a good general rule of thumb is read what is written and reread it.  If it sounds hostile or may be interpreted as such then you need to rethink it. If you are writing it when in a heightened emotional state, look at it later and rewrite. Practice makes perfect to be honest but never write something when you are angry. 

AngelWings

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 25, 2012, 05:03:27 AM
A good place for you to start with would be the Tongue and Quill.  It is AFH33-337 and can give you ideas, and a good general rule of thumb is read what is written and reread it.  If it sounds hostile or may be interpreted as such then you need to rethink it. If you are writing it when in a heightened emotional state, look at it later and rewrite. Practice makes perfect to be honest but never write something when you are angry.
Thank you. Looking over it now.

bosshawk

I had a minor in English Composition in my BA program.  One point to consider: you don't write in the same manner that you speak.  If you do, the result is as hard to understand as your speaking.  Go find a good English teacher, one who specializes in composition, and follow his/her instruction.  You might find something online, but I am not attuned to that way of doing things: too old and onery.  Computers were brought into common use after I retired from the Army in 1987.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

AirDX

FEMA has a couple of courses that may help:

IS-242.a - Effective Communication
IS-613 - Technical Writing

I've done 242.a, it's pretty good, and it's not overly long.  I haven't done 613, so I can't speak specifically to it.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Critical AOA

It is almost impossible to always convey the tone you intend in writing without taking extra care.  That is why emoticons exist and why people will use (and overuse) bold, caps and various forms of punctuation as well as adding qualifiers such as "sarcasm", "just kidding", etc.  We have all been misunderstood at one time or another... even me.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

SarDragon

Being misunderstood by being unable to express yourself, and plain olde crappy writing (bad spelling, punctuation, grammar, and word choice) are very different.

Not being able to string together the right words to get a message across is something a writing course can help.

The crappy writing simply adds to the understanding problem, and it usually based on a similarly crappy attitude, and an unwillingness to address the problem and fix it.

Here are some word choice problems I see every day on here:

prescribed/proscribed
where/were/we're/wear
it's/its (most common current language mistake)
there/their/they're
whose, who's
would of (should be would have)

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 30, 2012, 02:38:46 AM
Being misunderstood by being unable to express yourself, and plain olde crappy writing (bad spelling, punctuation, grammar, and word choice) are very different.

I am especially fond of people who write in very clear sentences, with good structure, good grammar, and coherent ideas,
then raise the "you misunderstood me" flag when people call them on their opinions.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

It's important to understand that words have specific meanings.  All of those vocabulary tests we took in grade school were for a reason.  Some words imply certain tones just because of their very definition. 

However, a lot of the time, the person on the other end of the conversation is just looking for an argument and will interpret things how they want to because they don't have an understanding of language.  Many people here like to argue for the sake of arguing, or for the sake of proving that they are more orthodox than you are in their regulation knowledge and interpretation. 

There are also cases where certain discussions are just not going to translate well to a forum like this.  For example, there are frequently posts that ask for help about problems people are facing in their units.  We try not to be so specific that it becomes obvious who the problem is with (to avoid repercussions), which makes the problem misunderstood in the first place.

With that said, if you are looking for some online writing courses, there are several online schools that you can take courses with.  American Military University (amu.apus.edu), American Public University (apus.edu), Penn State (psu.edu), University of Maryland University College (umuc.edu), Southern New Hampshire University (snhu.edu), and others, offer online courses in writing, composition, rhetoric, and a wide variety of other English courses to help develop your writing skills.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on July 30, 2012, 02:38:46 AM

Not being able to string together the right words to get a message across is something a writing course can help.

The crappy writing simply adds to the understanding problem, and it usually based on a similarly crappy attitude, and an unwillingness to address the problem and fix it.

Here are some word choice problems I see every day on here:

prescribed/proscribed
where/were/we're/wear
it's/its (most common current language mistake)
there/their/they're
whose, who's
would of (should be would have)

YMMV.

Please don't forget the run-on sentence, dangling participles, and the lack of capitalization. I am so tempted to go into teacher mode and return all posts that don't achieve at least a 90% passing grade! >:D
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Garibaldi

Oh, and shouldn't there be a thread somewhere that noobs like me can go to so we can figure out what YMMV and all the other ones mean?  ???

Wow, talk about a run-on sentence...

SarDragon

YMMV = your mileage may vary

This can be interpreted a couple of different ways, depending on context.

My usage was - your opinion may be different, but I'm not going to argue about it.

The other common usage - your knowledge and experience may be different, and maybe we can discuss it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Here's a link to an article about writing, and another link to a useful book. Both compliments of Harvard Business Review.

Article

Book
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

I ain'ts gotsta lern no durn English. I speek wel enuf to bee under....onder...peepil kin figger owt wut Im talkin bout. Ritin is fer dem sissified upity folk who gotsta show off.

BuckeyeDEJ

And then there's that [darn]ed Harvard comma, which I've seen a few times in this thread.

"I'm sick, tired and sick again of the Harvard comma" becomes "I'm sick, tired, and sick again." Since the comma denotes "and" in a series, it's like saying "and and." Leave it to the Ivy Leaguers (sigh). If I use it, it's in a situation where it helps to clarify; otherwise, I ain't-a gonna use it.

Anyway, I'd suggest, if you're working in public affairs and want to learn news writing, finding a book like The Associated Press Guide To News Writing. It's possible you'd find a writing course at Poynter.org, online home of The Poynter Institute for Media Studies in St. Petersburg, Fla., or at Poynter's News U.

(Full disclosure: My newspaper is owned by Poynter.)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

SarDragon

Classic example:

Last night, I had dinner with my parents, the Pope, and Mother Teresa.

or

Last night, I had dinner with my parents, the Pope and Mother Teresa.

That comma, also known as the Fowler Comma, makes a huge difference.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

I've read all of the things here and they've been very helpful. Thank you all!

RRLE

Hypergrammar Writing Centre at the University of Ottawa

Guide to Grammar and Writing includes Principles of Composition and Diagramming Sentences Capital Community College Foundation

English Grammar and Usage and 500 Sentence Diagrams by Eugene R. Moutoux

Rachel Simon The Writer's Writing Guide

and just for fun (I have a strange idea of fun)

Reed-Kellogg Sentence Diagrammer on-line

SenDraw UCF Department of English software program used for creating Reed-Kellogg sentence diagrams

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: SarDragon on August 01, 2012, 08:18:40 PM
Classic example:

or

That extra comma makes your parents the Pope, versus one of a series of people or objects:
"I had dinner with my parents, Mr. and Mrs. Bill Board, and Mother Teresa."

However, here's where it can work to clarify things:
"I had dinner with my parents, Bill and Cuppy Board, and Mother Teresa."

Otherwise, Mother Teresa may become a third wheel in your family:
"I had dinner with my parents, Bill and Cuppy Board and Mother Teresa."

I'm only a fan of that comma when it's required to eliminate confusion. It's superfluous.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

SarDragon

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 02, 2012, 08:42:33 PM
Classic example:

or

That extra comma makes your parents the Pope, versus one of a series of people or objects:

I'm only a fan of that comma when it's required to eliminate confusion. It's superfluous.

In this case, it is NOT superfluous. It defines the specific people eating dinner, and their relationship (or lack thereof). The comma is used as a pause when reading the sentence.

I got this from this guy. He is a retired English professor, who makes his living these days writing books and talking about language.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2012, 02:21:44 AM
Classic example:

or

In this case, it is NOT superfluous. It defines the specific people eating dinner, and their relationship (or lack thereof). The comma is used as a pause when reading the sentence.

I got this from this guy. He is a retired English professor, who makes his living these days writing books and talking about language.

Retired professor. Figures. Well, outside the college environment, it's not used a whole lot.  >:D

Woodsy

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 04, 2012, 08:47:50 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2012, 02:21:44 AM
Classic example:

or

Retired professor. Figures. Well, outside the college environment, it's not used a whole lot.  >:D

I did a "summer camp for college kids" type of thing my junior year of college at The Florida Times Union (big paper in Jacksonville.)  It wasn't an internship; more of a week-long hands-on experience builder.  It's funny what you say about college professors, because within the first 5 minutes of day one at "newspaper camp" the editor leading the class said "Forget everything you learned in college."

Critical AOA

Quote from: Woodsy on August 04, 2012, 10:02:53 PM
I did a "summer camp for college kids" type of thing my junior year of college at The Florida Times Union (big paper in Jacksonville.)  It wasn't an internship; more of a week-long hands-on experience builder.  It's funny what you say about college professors, because within the first 5 minutes of day one at "newspaper camp" the editor leading the class said "Forget everything you learned in college."

Heck, I know people who seemed to have forgotten everything from K through 12 as well.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Garibaldi

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 04, 2012, 10:46:27 PM

Heck, I know people who seemed to have forgotten everything from K through 12 as well.

just wut the heck ar u incineratin?

Critical AOA

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 04, 2012, 10:58:07 PM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 04, 2012, 10:46:27 PM

just wut the heck ar u incineratin?

nutin'... just sayin' dat sum folks 'round dees here parts seem like dey aint got no edumacation.

BuckeyeDEJ

People in Jacksonville know how to read?

I keed. I keed. Jacksonville really isn't in Florida, though. Just in name only. The real Florida starts south of I-4, culturally. Jacksonville's the biggest city in south Georgia.

Critical AOA

People say a similar thing about Memphis in that it is a lot more like Mississippi than Tennessee.

SarDragon

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 05, 2012, 01:00:16 AM

I keed. I keed. Jacksonville really isn't in Florida, though. Just in name only. The real Florida starts south of I-4, culturally. Jacksonville's the biggest city in south Georgia.

Jax is almost big enough to be its own state. It's 75% of the size of Rhode Island, and has a higher population density.

Having lived there for three years, I'd still consider it more Florida than Georgia, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Woodsy

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 05, 2012, 01:00:16 AM

Sadly, I can't argue with that.