Any good leadership books?

Started by AngelWings, July 16, 2012, 11:41:07 PM

AngelWings

I've recently moved up in position to C/CD so I'd like to learn more about leadership. Does anyone know of any good reads that center around the ideas of leadership, especially ones that are military oriented. The cadet leadership books (in my honest opinion) do not cover everything I need or should know, and I'd like to expand my knowledge in an area that I need to master.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Critical AOA

Just watch the movie "Patton" once a year.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Struts

A reading list for the RCLS-N that contains a lot of good books.
http://rclsw.nhcapcadets.org/rcls-reading-list.html

Walkman

isuhawkeye

1. The Leadership Challenge. James Kouzes and Barry Posner, 4th ed.(paperback) John
Wiley, 2008.
2. The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable. Patrick Lencioni, Jossey-Bass, 1998.
3. The Leadership Moment. Michael Useem, Crown Publishing, 1999.
4. Lincoln on Leadership. D. Phillips, Warner Books, 1993.
5. First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Great Manager's Do Differently. Marcus
Buckingham, Simon and Schuster, 1999.
6. Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest. Peter Block, Berrett-Koehler
Publishers, 1993.
7. The Servant: A Simple Story About the True Essence of Leadership. James Hunter,
Crown Publishing, 1998.
8. Questions of Character. Joseph Badaracco, Harvard Business School, 2006.
9. Good to Great. Jim Collins, HarperCollins, 2001.
10. Credibility-How Leaders Gain and Lose It. James Kouzes, et. al., John Wiley, 2003.
11. Measure of a Leader. Aubrey Daniels and J. Daniels, McGraw-Hill, 2007.
12. The Leadership Pill. Kenneth Blanchard and Marc Muchnick, Free Press, 2003.
13. The Adversity Paradox. J. Barry Griswell and R. Jennings, St. Martins Press, 2009.
14. The Allure of Toxic Leaders: Why We Follow Destructive Bosses and Corrupt
Politicians--and How We Can Survive Them. Jean Lipman-Blumen, Oxford University Press,
15. Getting It Done, How to Lead When You Are Not In Charge. R. Fisher, et al., Harper
BusinessBooks, 1999.
16. Results-Based Leadership. Dave Ulrich, et. al., Harvard Business School Press, 1999.
17. Strength-Based Leadership. Tom Roth and B. Conchie, Gallup Press, 2009
18. Learning to Lead, A Workbook on Becoming a Leader. Warren Bennis and Joan
Goldsmith, 4th ed., Basic Books, 2010
19. The Radical Leap. Steve Farber, Dearborn Trade Publishing, 2009(paperback).
20. True North. Bill George, Jossey-Bass, 2007Dearborn Trade Publishing,
21. Bad Leadership: What It Is, How It Happens, Why It Matters. Barbara Kellerman, Harvard
Business School University Press, 2004
22. On Becoming A Leader. Warren Bennis, Perseus Books, 1994
23. The Story Factor. Annettee Simmons, Basic Books, 2nd ed., 2006.
24. The Extra-Ordinary Leader. John Zenger and J. Folkman, McGraw-Hill, 2002.
25. Authentic Leadership. Bill George, Jossey Bass, 2003.
26. 7 Lessons for Leading in a Crisis, Bill Georg Jossey-Bass, 2009 Name:
27. Values-Based Leadership. Kenneth Majer, Majer Books, 2004.
28. Why Smart Executives Fail. Sydney Finkelstein, Portfolio, 2004.
29. The Cycle of Leadership. Noel Tichy and N. Cardwell, HarperCollins, 2002.
30. Heroic Leadership. Chris Lowney, Loyola Press, 2005.
31. The Servant Leaders. James Autry, Three Rivers Press, 2005.
32. Building Leaders. Jay Conger and B. Benjamin, Jossey-Bass, 1999.
33. The Leadership Engine. Noel Tichy, HarperTrade, 1997.
34. Co-Leaders. David Heenan, Wiley, 2000.
35. Leading the Revolution. G. Hamel, Harvard Business School Press, 2000.
36. The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. Patrick Lencioni, Wiley, 2002.
37. Synchronicity: The Inner Path Of Leadership. Joseph Jankowski, et. al.,
Berrett Koehler, 1998.
38. The Flight of the Buffalo: Soaring to Excellence. James Belasco, et. al., Warner Books, 1993.
39. Perspectives on Leadership. Gilbert Fairholm, Greenwood Publishing, 2000.
40. Leading at the Speed of Growth. K. Catlin, Wiley, 2001.
41. Leadership. Rudolph Giuliani, Miramax, 2002.

Stonewall

If there was one book that I had to recommend without mentioning even a close second, this would be it.  Sure, a Delta Force guy wrote it, and it talks about Bin Laden, but it is about LEADERSHIP.

The Mission, the Men, and Me
By Pete Blaber

"Mission, the Men, and Me – Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander," refers to the three priorities and three questions that Blaber set for himself in making decisions in the heat of battle: "What is best for the Mission; what is best for my men; what is best for me?"  Any leader would be well served to adapt these priorities at decisive moments in responding to challenges and opportunities.

Let me share just a few of the nuggets that I found in reading with rapt attention Blaber's thoughts and conclusions.  For a more thorough understanding of the depth of his insights, I recommend that you read the book – even if you have no military background or proclivities.  This is – above all else – a book about leadership.

"The 3Ms is a guiding principle that I learned early in my career, which had provided direction and context for me ever since.  In 1985, when I was a brand-new second lieutenant reporting for duty in Korea, my battalion commander, a soft-spoken Vietnam veteran and Marlboro Man lookalike, called me into his office and asked me if I had ever heard of the 3Ms.

'No-sir,' I replied sheepishly (I was sure it was something I was supposed to have learned during basic officer training).  He sauntered over to the chalkboard and drew three capital Ms, one on top of the other in a column.  Then he turned to me and explained.

'The 3Ms are the keys to being successful in life.  They stand for the mission, the men, and me.'  He then drew a line from the top M through the middle M, down to the bottom M.  'They're all connected,' he continued.  'So if you neglect one, you'll screw up the others.  The first M stands for the mission; it's the purpose for which you're doing what you're doing.  Whether in your personal or professional life, make sure you understand it; and that it makes legal, moral, and ethical sense, then use it to guide all your decisions.  The second M stands for the men.  Joshua Chamberlain, a Medal of Honor-receiving school teacher in the Civil War, once said that "there are two things an officer must do to lead men; he must be careful for his men's welfare, and he must show courage.   "Welfare of the troops and courage are inextricably linked.  When it comes to your men you can't be good at one without being good at the other.  Take care of your men's welfare by listening and leading them with sound tactics and techniques that accomplish your mission, and by always having the courage to do the right thing by them.  The final M stands for me.  Me comes last for a reason. You have to take care of yourself, but you should only do so after you have taken care of the mission, and the men.  Never put your own personal well-being, or advancement, ahead of the accomplishment of your mission and taking care of your men..."
Serving since 1987.

Walkman

Stonewall, thanks for that post. I'm going to look up that book.

AngelWings

Quote from: Stonewall on July 17, 2012, 05:19:20 PM
If there was one book that I had to recommend without mentioning even a close second, this would be it.  Sure, a Delta Force guy wrote it, and it talks about Bin Laden, but it is about LEADERSHIP.

The Mission, the Men, and Me
By Pete Blaber

"Mission, the Men, and Me – Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander," refers to the three priorities and three questions that Blaber set for himself in making decisions in the heat of battle: "What is best for the Mission; what is best for my men; what is best for me?"  Any leader would be well served to adapt these priorities at decisive moments in responding to challenges and opportunities.

Let me share just a few of the nuggets that I found in reading with rapt attention Blaber's thoughts and conclusions.  For a more thorough understanding of the depth of his insights, I recommend that you read the book – even if you have no military background or proclivities.  This is – above all else – a book about leadership.

"The 3Ms is a guiding principle that I learned early in my career, which had provided direction and context for me ever since.  In 1985, when I was a brand-new second lieutenant reporting for duty in Korea, my battalion commander, a soft-spoken Vietnam veteran and Marlboro Man lookalike, called me into his office and asked me if I had ever heard of the 3Ms.

'No-sir,' I replied sheepishly (I was sure it was something I was supposed to have learned during basic officer training).  He sauntered over to the chalkboard and drew three capital Ms, one on top of the other in a column.  Then he turned to me and explained.

'The 3Ms are the keys to being successful in life.  They stand for the mission, the men, and me.'  He then drew a line from the top M through the middle M, down to the bottom M.  'They're all connected,' he continued.  'So if you neglect one, you'll screw up the others.  The first M stands for the mission; it's the purpose for which you're doing what you're doing.  Whether in your personal or professional life, make sure you understand it; and that it makes legal, moral, and ethical sense, then use it to guide all your decisions.  The second M stands for the men.  Joshua Chamberlain, a Medal of Honor-receiving school teacher in the Civil War, once said that "there are two things an officer must do to lead men; he must be careful for his men's welfare, and he must show courage.   "Welfare of the troops and courage are inextricably linked.  When it comes to your men you can't be good at one without being good at the other.  Take care of your men's welfare by listening and leading them with sound tactics and techniques that accomplish your mission, and by always having the courage to do the right thing by them.  The final M stands for me.  Me comes last for a reason. You have to take care of yourself, but you should only do so after you have taken care of the mission, and the men.  Never put your own personal well-being, or advancement, ahead of the accomplishment of your mission and taking care of your men..."
Interesting. I am saving up to buy it!

Sleepwalker

I have read many excellent books on leadership (and most are linked in this current thread) but the absolute best I have ever read was "IT'S YOUR SHIP" by Mike Abrashoff.  I re-read this book at least once a year, to keep myself in that mind set.  If I could recommend only one book on leadership to read, this one would be it.  I find it to not only be helpful, but also personally inspirational.     
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

titanII

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 16, 2012, 11:50:36 PM
And do it right before Encampment  >:D (just kidding)

But in all seriousness, I would recommend that every cadet in a staff position read the book "Heirpower: 8 Basic Habits of Exceptionally Powerful Lieutenants" by Chief Bob Vasquez, USAF Ret.
It's written to newly commissioned officers, but the principles are useful in any sort of leadership position.
Here's the whole book, online: http://aupress.au.af.mil/digital/pdf/book/b_0100_vasquez_heirpower.pdfhttp://aupress.au.af.mil/digital/pdf/book/b_0100_vasquez_heirpower.pdf
No longer active on CAP talk

Flying Pig

I have read a lot of the John Maxwell books on leadership.  I know several military officers as well as senior law enforcement commanders who also read a lot of his books.  I like them because a lot of it is very applicable to dealing with volunteers, and people in general.  Not reading about Patton chasing down Rommel in the desert of North Africa and then trying to figure out how to morph that into leading a flight of cadets or trying to manage your business based on the ability to maneuver troops in combat.
At your level, being a cadet, the one I recommend the most and that I felt was the most applicable is the 360 Degree Leader   http://www.amazon.com/The-360-Degree-Leader-Organization/dp/0785260927  It is great for someone who isn't necessarily "in charge".  It talks about being a leader whether or not your in the mail room, mid-level or the guy at the top.   

Also, http://www.amazon.com/The-21-Irrefutable-Laws-Leadership/dp/0785288376.  These are the two I would recommend for anyone entering the leadership arena for the first time.  As a cadet you are in a neat position in that you have the ability to try these lessons on people, see what works for you, what doesnt, in a relatively controlled "safe" environment.  Chances are, if you mess up, your not going to get someone killed or topple a corporation ;D

Whatever you do, (my opinion only) don't get caught up in Sun Tzu's Art of War crowd!  If your ever in the hospital in traction for months and are just trying to pass the time, sure.....but there is much more relevant and applicable material on the market.  I chose to read that book when I was in the Marines....... Holy cow....it was all I could do to force myself through each page.  The development of the A-10 Warthog, the .50 cal machine gun and the B-52 bomber made most of that book irrelevant. Unless your really into philosophy and great one liners, I didn't find it very relevant.  I know business have entire conferences based on the book where the take the combat references and relate them to business, but that wasnt what I was looking for. 

Critical AOA

Quote from: titanII on July 21, 2012, 11:55:28 AM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 16, 2012, 11:50:36 PM
And do it right before Encampment  >:D (just kidding)

But in all seriousness, I would recommend that every cadet in a staff position read the book "Heirpower: 8 Basic Habits of Exceptionally Powerful Lieutenants" by Chief Bob Vasquez, USAF Ret.
It's written to newly commissioned officers, but the principles are useful in any sort of leadership position.
Here's the whole book, online: http://aupress.au.af.mil/digital/pdf/book/b_0100_vasquez_heirpower.pdfhttp://aupress.au.af.mil/digital/pdf/book/b_0100_vasquez_heirpower.pdf

Absolutely, that way you will know what to do when a young cadet starts to cry.   >:D
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

unmlobo

I highly recommend Hope Unseen, the story of the First Active Duty Blind Officer.  Very inspiring for any budding leader!  Also The Unforgiving Minute; it's about a West Pointer who received an Oxford Scholarship.  Ranger School Afghanistan deployment, it is one of the best coming of age books I have read.  You can see the change from a young man to a combat seasoned man.

http://www.amazon.com/Hope-Unseen-Story-Active-Duty-Officer/dp/B004L2KMS8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343149233&sr=1-1&keywords=hope+unseen

http://www.amazon.com/Unforgiving-Minute-Soldiers-Education/dp/B003VWC4B2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343149279&sr=1-1&keywords=unforgiving+minute
Major, CAP
HI WG