Is it the CAP or just CAP?

Started by AngelWings, November 19, 2011, 03:11:45 PM

Major Lord

Any combinations of letters can be pronounced, this is not probative of the words' status as an acronym.  Remember big bird singing the alphabet as a 26 letter word? Especially if you are willing to build hybrid acronyms like ROTC (rot-see) Rhymes with NAZI, also an anachronistic initialism converted to a lower- case word, i.e, "NAZI" became "Nazi". Capitalization makes it clear when a word is intended to be an initialism. Our dear leader, is "POTUS" spoken as a word, and always capitalized, but clearly an initialism. Words like "COMSUBFORATL" clearly are initialisms, but our squidly brothers find ways to pronounce them.

A separate question is whether the use changes when speaking of "The" Civil Air Patrol, versus "the" C.A.P. I know we have a publication that addresses the use of the definite article, but I can't find it. The CAP knowledge base "send inquiry" button was down last night, rats! ( Not to be confused with C-RATS, another disease bearing entity)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RiverAux

Quote from: Major Lord on November 20, 2011, 04:18:14 PM
Words like "COMSUBFORATL" clearly are initialisms, but our squidly brothers find ways to pronounce them.
Those crazy Navy "words" drive me nuts when I come across them in the history books.

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Lord on November 20, 2011, 04:18:14 PM
Capitalization makes it clear when a word is intended to be an initialism. Our dear leader, is "POTUS" spoken as a word, and always capitalized, but clearly an initialism.

Does it?

Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation -> LASER -> laser

Tactical Air Navigation -> TACAN

Radio Detection and Ranging -> RADAR -> radar

Quote from: WikipediaAcronyms and initialisms are abbreviations formed from the initial components in a phrase or name. These components may be individual letters (as in CEO) or parts of words (as in Benelux and Ameslan). There is no universal agreement on the precise definition of the various terms (see nomenclature), nor on written usage (see orthographic styling). While popular in recent English, such abbreviations have historical use in English as well as other languages. As a type of word formation process, acronyms and initialisms are viewed as a subtype of blending.

and

Quote from: WikipediaAlthough the term acronym is widely used to describe any abbreviation formed from initial letters, most dictionaries define acronym to mean "a word" in its original sense, while some include a secondary indication of usage, attributing to acronym the same meaning as that of initialism. According to the primary definition found in most dictionaries, examples of acronyms are NATO, scuba, and radar, while examples of initialisms are FBI and HTML.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2011, 04:11:22 PM
Quote from: Thrashed on November 19, 2011, 03:54:09 PM
If anyone really cares, "the" is more proper grammar.

That's where the confusion comes in, "the" sounds better, but isn't correct. The same thing happens when people refer to
a ship.

It's "Enterprise" not "The Enterprise".
I always thought "the starship Enterprise" was most appropriate.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2011, 04:11:22 PM
Quote from: Thrashed on November 19, 2011, 03:54:09 PM
If anyone really cares, "the" is more proper grammar.

That's where the confusion comes in, "the" sounds better, but isn't correct. The same thing happens when people refer to
a ship.

It's "Enterprise" not "The Enterprise".

That depends entirely which one you are discussing. If it's NCC-1701 [series], you can call it what you want.

In my exposure to USN vessels (a lifelong thing), I have more frequently heard ships called "the [ship's name]".  Another oft heard referential term is USS [ship's name], without 'the'.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

brenaud

Quote from: paladin82 on November 19, 2011, 07:26:18 PM
Captain Kirk used to say "THE Enterprise."

When I saw the title of the thread, the first thing that came to mind was we could take after the supporters of a certain university in Columbus, OH.  So we could be "THE CAP" instead of "the CAP".
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Littleguy on November 19, 2011, 03:11:45 PM
Hello. I've seen numerous people say something like "in the CAP", and numerous others just say "in CAP". Is there a correct way of saying it, or are both interchangable?

Quote from: CAPR 900-2 - Civil Air Patrol Seal, Emblem and Flag Etiquette2. Description:
  a.  Name. When used as a proper noun, the name Civil Air Patrol will be used as written without the definitive article "the" preceding it.

Case closed :)

vento

Major Lord

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on November 23, 2011, 05:25:31 AM
Hello. I've seen numerous people say something like "in the CAP", and numerous others just say "in CAP". Is there a correct way of saying it, or are both interchangable?

Quote from: CAPR 900-2 - Civil Air Patrol Seal, Emblem and Flag Etiquette2. Description:
  a.  Name. When used as a proper noun, the name Civil Air Patrol will be used as written without the definitive article "the" preceding it.

Than you SARKID, I knew there was a reason I liked you! My CAPR search-skills seem to have gone stale! Of course, the argument is never really over until it spins into a uniform question!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

AngelWings

My god, great find! Thank you!

a2capt

Kill Joy...
I knew it was in CAPR 900-2, but it was too funny to watch the debate  >:D  .. as the use of 'the' is a pet peeve at this end..

Major Lord

Thank you for letting us enjoy the pain, A2Capt! Reading the reg, it appears that the question does not just clarify the issue of the use of "The", but also when used as a proper noun, it is improper to use the initialism "CAP" to describe Civil Air Patrol, and subsequently, you may use "The CAP" in written form only when CAP is not used as a Proper Noun. This is especially true if we consider the use of the word "Will" as a regulatory mandate. Do you agree?

Major Lord
The CAP Syntax Police

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Lord on November 23, 2011, 07:46:08 PM
Thank you for letting us enjoy the pain, A2Capt! Reading the reg, it appears that the question does not just clarify the issue of the use of "The", but also when used as a proper noun, it is improper to use the initialism "CAP" to describe Civil Air Patrol, and subsequently, you may use "The CAP" in written form only when CAP is not used as a Proper Noun. This is especially true if we consider the use of the word "Will" as a regulatory mandate. Do you agree?

Major Lord
The CAP Syntax Police

Well done!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret