Is it the CAP or just CAP?

Started by AngelWings, November 19, 2011, 03:11:45 PM

AngelWings

Hello. I've seen numerous people say something like "in the CAP", and numerous others just say "in CAP". Is there a correct way of saying it, or are both interchangable?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Thrashed

If anyone really cares, "the" is more proper grammar.

Save the triangle thingy

Major Lord

The correct way to refer to CAP is as "CAP" not as "The CAP".

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrashed on November 19, 2011, 03:54:09 PM

That's where the confusion comes in, "the" sounds better, but isn't correct. The same thing happens when people refer to
a ship.

It's "Enterprise" not "The Enterprise".

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

I can't recall exactly which manual or pamphlet mentions this, but it was covered in my Level 1. (Maybe one of you people who have memorized all the forms and pamphlets can help out here) You will notice in all of our regulations, that "CAP" is always used without the definite article when referring to the organization. Its proper to say "The CAP Commander" because the subject of the sentence is different. As to whether "CAP" is pronounced as a word (like the hat) or spelled out,  it depends on whether it is an acronym or an initialism. I belong to the second school of thought, that it is an initialism, and should be pronounced in the same way we say "CIA" or "FBI" ( also generally used without the definite article) Unlike an acronym, which we pronounce as a word, like "NATO" , SCUBA, or LASER.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

Wait, it's not the Ceia and the Febee?

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Major Lord on November 19, 2011, 04:42:29 PM
I can't recall exactly which manual or pamphlet mentions this, but it was covered in my Level 1. (Maybe one of you people who have memorized all the forms and pamphlets can help out here) You will notice in all of our regulations, that "CAP" is always used without the definite article when referring to the organization. Its proper to say "The CAP Commander" because the subject of the sentence is different. As to whether "CAP" is pronounced as a word (like the hat) or spelled out,  it depends on whether it is an acronym or an initialism. I belong to the second school of thought, that it is an initialism, and should be pronounced in the same way we say "CIA" or "FBI" ( also generally used without the definite article) Unlike an acronym, which we pronounce as a word, like "NATO" , SCUBA, or LASER.

Major Lord

The difference between an intialism and an acronym is that one is pronounceable. CAP is pronounceable while CIA is not.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

wuzafuzz

When do SMWOG's start wearing collar devices displaying "The C.A.P."?   ;D

In conversation I usually use either "See Ay Pea" or Civil Air Patrol.  I never say the word CAP or use "the" in front of it.  Personal preference, right or wrong.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Major Lord

An Initialism or an Acronym may be pronounceable, so the limiting definition above is too subjective. An initialism can become an Acronym after the origin of the word becomes historically vague ( Acronym as in "Anachronism" ) like "RADAR" became Radar, but the capitalization of CAP suggests that the word is intended to be an initialism. I don't accept the idea that the name "Civil Air Patrol" is historically obsolete, so I am in the corner of pronouncing each letter individually, rather than as a piece of headgear, but this is just an opinion. You are free to pronounce the "word" as you please, but in my opinion, it is not intended to be a "word".  One only need look at unintentional acronyms, like the one arising from the phrase "The War Against Terror" to see that an initialism that is pronounceable is not necessarily an acronym.   The issue of the definite article is a matter of official policy, so there is little need for debate.

Major Lord

paladin82

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2011, 04:11:22 PM
Quote from: Thrashed on November 19, 2011, 03:54:09 PM

That's where the confusion comes in, "the" sounds better, but isn't correct. The same thing happens when people refer to
a ship.

It's "Enterprise" not "The Enterprise".

Captain Kirk used to say "THE Enterprise."

sardak

It make senses to use "the" before "CAP" when "CAP" is used an adjective, such as "the CAP commander" to distinguish it from "the commander." 

As far as the regs go, here are a few excerpts from AFI 10-2701, Organization and Function of the Civil Air Patrol.

1.8.1. Secretary of the Air Force. SAF/MR, on behalf of the Secretary of the Air Force, is responsible for strategic guidance, policy direction, and oversight of all matters that pertain to the formulation
and review of Air Force plans, policies, programs, and budgets affecting the CAP.

1.8.5 CAP-USAF personnel will be the primary functional interface between other Federal agencies and the CAP.

1.9.4. Review and coordination on all CAP regulations and instructions to ensure compliance with this Instruction, the CA, the SOW, and the responsibilities of the CAP to the Air Force.

Chapter 2 intro
Missions assigned by the Secretary of the Air Force, or the designee, to the CAP must be identified and referred to as AFAMs in advance of mission execution.

This usage of "the CAP" goes on and on.

I have no problem saying "cap"  or "you saf" or "cap you saf." But I don't think I've ever referred to us when writing or speaking as "the cap."

Mike

Major Lord

The AFI is a document with controlling authority over USAF. CAPR's and other CAP publications  are documents with controlling authority over CAP. To suggest that USAF's occasional misuse of "the" is controlling, and over CAP's published regulations and procedures ( And "CAP" is invariably used in CAP publications, as opposed to "the CAP") is just misleading. Captain Kirk is not a controlling authority either, I am afraid.

Major Lord

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

Quote from: Major Lord on November 19, 2011, 08:06:19 PM
The AFI is a document with controlling authority over USAF. CAPR's and other CAP publications  are documents with controlling authority over CAP. To suggest that USAF's occasional misuse of "the" is controlling, and over CAP's published regulations and procedures ( And "CAP" is invariably used in CAP publications, as opposed to "the CAP") is just misleading. Captain Kirk is not a controlling authority either, I am afraid.

Major Lord

So there is no "right' answer....because there is NO controlling authority who has offically stated it.

In proper english we should be using "the".   I am a member of theCivil Air Patrol.  Proper use of articles should continue even if you abbreviate the words.  On the other hand.....we drop the "the" all the time in both written and spoken communication.

CAP is going to do this. 
I am going to CAP today.
One of these days CAP is just going make me unhappy!

It's not proper english.....but abbreviations are not really proper to begin with.

On the issue of whether the abbreviation of Civil Air Patrol is an acronym or an initilisation......I guess it is just up to each individual.  I have heard and said it both ways.  And by using our parent organisation as a model......it does not really help.

USAF.......or You Saf?
USAFE.....or You Safe EEE?
AFRC......or Af Rick?
DSCS.....or Discus?

I don't think you will ever find and offical "this is how we say it" AFI or AFPD for any of these things.

So.....call it CAP or See Aye Pee.....and press on.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AngelWings

Another dilema: Which is the right spelling out of CAP? See A Pea, See Ay Pea, or See Aye Pea?  >:D

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Littleguy on November 19, 2011, 10:20:24 PM
Another dilema: Which is the right spelling out of CAP? See A Pea, See Ay Pea, or See Aye Pea?  >:D
Some folks might thinks its "See Eh Pea."  Donchaknow, ya.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Lord on November 19, 2011, 06:21:19 PM
An Initialism or an Acronym may be pronounceable, so the limiting definition above is too subjective. An initialism can become an Acronym after the origin of the word becomes historically vague ( Acronym as in "Anachronism" ) like "RADAR" became Radar, but the capitalization of CAP suggests that the word is intended to be an initialism. I don't accept the idea that the name "Civil Air Patrol" is historically obsolete, so I am in the corner of pronouncing each letter individually, rather than as a piece of headgear, but this is just an opinion. You are free to pronounce the "word" as you please, but in my opinion, it is not intended to be a "word".  One only need look at unintentional acronyms, like the one arising from the phrase "The War Against Terror" to see that an initialism that is pronounceable is not necessarily an acronym.   The issue of the definite article is a matter of official policy, so there is little need for debate.

Major Lord

Nope. No crossover. An initialism is not pronounceable as a word - FBI, GPS, etc. An acronym, by definition, is a pronounceable word - laser, radar, etc. Many acronyms still maintain an all caps format, but some, like radar and laser, have evolved to all lower case.

CAP, as I learned it, is an initialism, and I do share your philosophy in that respect.

The definite article 'the' seems to only be used in front of 'Civil Air Patrol', on a very limited basis.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on November 19, 2011, 09:29:15 PM
USAF.......or You Saf?

By itself, U-S-A-F. As a part of CAP-USAF, You-Saf.
QuoteUSAFE.....or You Safe EEE?

You-Safe.
QuoteAFRC......or Af Rick?

A-F-R-C
QuoteDSCS.....or Discus?

D-S-C-S

QuoteI don't think you will ever find and offical "this is how we say it" AFI or AFPD for any of these things.

So.....call it CAP or See Aye Pee.....and press on.

That is based primarily on my experiences over the last 40 or so years, listening to a great variety of folks, many of whom have been members of the various commands.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

titanII

This reminds me of the R-O-T-C vs "Rot-see" quasi-debate. Discuss!  >:D
No longer active on CAP talk