Main Menu

Col. Edward C. Burns

Started by ironputts, February 07, 2024, 01:52:19 PM

ironputts

February 5, 2024

Col. Edward C. Burns
National Commanders Squadron
National Headquarters

Edward Charles Burns of Stockton Springs, beloved husband, brother, father, grandfather and friend; passed away on January 2, 2024. Ed was born in New Jersey on September 22, 1942 the son of Edward and Anna (Grim) Burns and grew up in Jersey City and then North Arlington, NJ.

As an adolescent Ed combined his love of the water with service by becoming a member of the Navy Sea Cadets. He attended Queen of Peace H.S. In North Arlington, NJ, and in 1964 graduated with a bachelor's degree from Saint Peter's College in Jersey City, NJ, where he was a member of the rifle team and in the ROTC program. Joining the US Army, Ed proudly served in Vietnam achieving the rank of Captain. Following his military career, Ed earned an MBA from Fairleigh Dickenson University and entered the world of computer science working in various IT capacities at IBM, Beneficial Finance, International Paper, retiring from CIT as the VP of Global Data Centers. He loved teaching and for several decades was an adjunct professor at County College of Morris and a professor at Thomas Edison State University in NJ.

Ed maintained a four decades long involvement with the Civil Air Patrol that began in the 1980's, when his daughter's squadron needed a senior member. He rose through the leadership ranks achieving the rank of Colonel and was attached to the National Headquarters at Maxwell AFB in the position of Deputy Inspector General for Training as well as sitting on the CAP National Review Panel for Complaint Resolution.

Ed's love of Maine began 37 years ago on his first visit here. He and his wife Pat entered a new life phase after purchasing a vacation cottage in Stockton Springs in 1997. This was ultimately replaced by a new home and permanent residence in 2006. Once here Ed participated fully in community life. As an active member of the Gerry Dobbins American Legion Post 157, Ed held multiple positions, including a term as Commander. He was an avid supporter of Wreaths Across America. His affinity for working with veteran's groups, particularly the Bangor Troop Greeters, stemmed from his memories of the scorn and indifference directed toward returning veterans of the Vietnam era. He sat on the Stockton Springs complaint resolution panel believing everyone should have an opportunity to voice their truth. Love of family and history fostered a passionate interest in genealogy and ancestry. As a member of the local genealogy group, he spent numerous hours on research attaining great success in tracing his family tree.

SPECIAL NOTE FROM ME:

I worked under Ed for 6 years at the CIT Group. He gave me advice both in computer support and joining CAP in 1991. When I left CIT he told me to follow my dreams and do the best I can. Thanks Ed for being such a great leader and mentor!
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP