Main Menu

Cadet to Senior Member

Started by Westphal, Charles, December 02, 2019, 10:24:34 PM

Westphal, Charles

Greetings, CAPTalk members. This topic is my first post here, and I need your help.

So, I'm currently a 1st Chief, and I'm taking my 2nd Chief drill test. I've also recently undergone knee surgery to rebuild the kneecap in my left leg. Additionally, I'm turning 17 on the 5th of December.

What I need help with is deciding whether or not I should transfer to the Senior side at 18 since I won't be able to pass any more PT tests, logically.

Any help is appreciated.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Westphal, Charles on December 02, 2019, 10:24:34 PM
Greetings, CAPTalk members. This topic is my first post here, and I need your help.

So, I'm currently a 1st Chief, and I'm taking my 2nd Chief drill test. I've also recently undergone knee surgery to rebuild the kneecap in my left leg. Additionally, I'm turning 17 on the 5th of December.

What I need help with is deciding whether or not I should transfer to the Senior side at 18 since I won't be able to pass any more PT tests, logically.

Any help is appreciated.

You should be able to get a PT waiver based on the surgery.

I would strongly suggest that you stay as a cadet long enough to get your Mitchell award if possible.

MSG Mac

If the CPFT is the only reason for turning SM at the earliest moment don't. Check out CAPP 60-50 for waivers on the test. Your Commander and Deputy for Cadets should be aware that there are waivers for temporary or permeates disabilities.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Westphal, Charles

I do have a PT waiver active right now, and I should be able to get my Mitchell in a few months.

Holding Pattern

CAPP 60-50, page 37 is the form you need.

Westphal, Charles

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 02, 2019, 10:39:20 PM
If the CPFT is the only reason for turning SM at the earliest moment don't. Check out CAPP 60-50 for waivers on the test. Your Commander and Deputy for Cadets should be aware that there are waivers for temporary or permeates disabilities.

It's not the only reason, but it's the big one for me.

Holding Pattern

One other item: If you can stay in long enough to get your Earhart award, you'll be granted the Cadet Programs technician rating automatically, which is one of the ratings with the most tasks to otherwise achieve.

Westphal, Charles

Holding Pattern

I'd also suggest that you read the New Horizons pamphlet (CAPP 50-10) front to back a few times before making a decision.

Westphal, Charles

baronet68

Welcome to the Community!!!

So, I'm currently a 1st Chief, and I'm taking my 2nd Chief drill test...

Please don't say that...  It's a pet peeve of mine.

I hear cadets saying they're a "Chief Sustained" or working on their "Second Major Sustained".

You are not a "1st Chief" or a "2nd Chief".

All of the cadet achievements numbers or names and members should use those.  Which means you are a Chief Master Sergeant who has completed Achievement 7 (or Goddard) and you are working on Achievement 8 (or Armstrong).
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

Actually the proper term is "Chief 2.0".

You have you entire life to be a Senior Member and only a short
time to partake of the opportunities of being a cadet.

Don't expire early unless you've considered that and your options.

"That Others May Zoom"

baronet68

Westphal, Charles

Quote from: Eclipse on December 03, 2019, 12:29:41 AM
Actually the proper term is "Chief 2.0".

You have you entire life to be a Senior Member and only a short
time to partake of the opportunities of being a cadet.

Don't expire early unless you've considered that and your options.

So, are you saying that I shouldn't?

NIN

Quote from: baronet68 on December 03, 2019, 12:17:26 AM
Please don't say that...  It's a pet peeve of mine.

I hear cadets saying they're a "Chief Sustained" or working on their "Second Major Sustained".

You are not a "1st Chief" or a "2nd Chief".

All of the cadet achievements numbers or names and members should use those.  Which means you are a Chief Master Sergeant who has completed Achievement 7 (or Goddard) and you are working on Achievement 8 (or Armstrong).

"Ghost Chief" or "Ghost Lieutenant" I've heard, too.

What did I read on reddit? Deadrank?  Yeah, no.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Westphal, Charles

Westphal, Charles

Quote from: NIN on December 03, 2019, 01:14:48 AM
Quote from: Westphal, Charles on December 03, 2019, 01:13:24 AM
So, are you saying that I shouldn't?

That is precisely what he's saying.

Okay, so you're an admin. Can you give me your advice?

baronet68

Quote from: Westphal, Charles on December 03, 2019, 01:22:55 AM
Can you give me your advice?

My advice...

Stay a cadet until they drag you (kicking and screaming) out of the cadet formation on the day before your 21st birthday. 

You only get to be a cadet for a few short years.  You'll have the rest of your life to be a senior member.

Westphal, Charles