National Blue Beret 2019

Started by Capmonkey, November 28, 2018, 12:01:08 AM

Capmonkey

Hey, guys!
    So as we all know, winter NCSA registrations open on 1 Dec, a few days from now. I'll be applying to NBB, and am hoping to be accepted, as this will be my first NCSA, even though I've been in for 5 years. I was wondering if anyone else on here is planning on applying, as well as any advice y'all may have! Thanks for all the feedback!

Sincerely,
C/Lt Col Capmonkey

Pace

1. Wear your beret with pride because no one will ever be as good as a CAP Blue Beret!
2. Demand that you be allowed to wear your Beret at all CAP functions and with any uniform because you've risen above non-Berets to earn it.
3. Make sure people respect your Beret authoritah!!! You are more qualified than them in every respect, whether they realize it or not. I mean two weeks owning that flightline and tracking down overdue aircraft is highly enviable!

Seriously, though:
1. Take what's on the packing list.
2. Don't take more than is on the packing list.
3. Seize every opportunity presented to you to explore the airshow. Don't be a bum who stays in the barracks all the time.
4. Stay professional and don't forget to have fun.

-Four time NBB attendee (3 as SM staff)
Lt Col, CAP

Capmonkey

Thank you so much for the advice, sir. I can get homesick quite easily, so I am definitely hoping the packed schedule will forbid me from doing that. Thanks again!

Eclipse

Pretty sure applications for 2018 are closed at this point.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capmonkey

I meant to say 2019. Simple slip-up

jeders

Quote from: Capmonkey on November 28, 2018, 12:01:08 AM
as well as any advice y'all may have!

#1: Get your quals done ASAP. If you don't know what you need to get done, visit http://nbb.cap.gov/step-3-quals.html. This goes whether you are slotted as a primary or an alternate; so many cadets have lost out on this excellent opportunity because they didn't get their quals or paperwork completed on time.

#2: Be humble. You may be a C/Lt Col, but your flight commander may be a C/2d Lt. If you can't accept that and work as part of a team under the direction of a lower ranking cadet, then you will fail. (Not saying that you are like that, but I've seen it happen).
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Capmonkey

Quote from: jeders on November 28, 2018, 04:13:12 AM
Quote from: Capmonkey on November 28, 2018, 12:01:08 AM
as well as any advice y'all may have!

#1: Get your quals done ASAP. If you don't know what you need to get done, visit http://nbb.cap.gov/step-3-quals.html. This goes whether you are slotted as a primary or an alternate; so many cadets have lost out on this excellent opportunity because they didn't get their quals or paperwork completed on time.

#2: Be humble. You may be a C/Lt Col, but your flight commander may be a C/2d Lt. If you can't accept that and work as part of a team under the direction of a lower ranking cadet, then you will fail. (Not saying that you are like that, but I've seen it happen).

Thank you so much for the advice, sir. As for the quals, looking at the website, I have all of them, and will make sure to stay on top of the paperwork. As for the second point, I always teach my cadets that what you wear on your collar doesn't make you, it's the person inside. I love to learn from everyone, regardless of grade, and would be so thankful for the opportunity to go to NBB. Thank you!

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Capmonkey on November 28, 2018, 01:36:44 AM
I can get homesick quite easily, so I am definitely hoping the packed schedule will forbid me from doing that.

Cowboy up.

Don't go to an NCSA worrying about what's back home. Go in with the mindset of what you're there to accomplish; look forward to the experience and opportunities; and be the person who can hold the group together and motivate for success. That's what officers do.

Capmonkey

Thanks, sir. I appreciate the advice.

vesryn

You're going to have a great time. It's a ton of extremely hard work, but honestly they're two of the best weeks I've ever had in my cadet career so far.

As has been mentioned before: You don't need anything that's not on the list, with one exception: Bring a couple extra pairs of socks. You never know when it's going to rain, if your laundry bag might disappear in to the void (that hurt) or anything else.

Good luck!
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Capmonkey

Quote from: Trenzalorian on November 28, 2018, 06:52:57 PM
You're going to have a great time. It's a ton of extremely hard work, but honestly they're two of the best weeks I've ever had in my cadet career so far.

As has been mentioned before: You don't need anything that's not on the list, with one exception: Bring a couple extra pairs of socks. You never know when it's going to rain, if your laundry bag might disappear in to the void (that hurt) or anything else.

Good luck!

Thanks!

FNelson

I am hoping on attending NBB this summer aswell.
C/2d Lt. Forest Nelson
Santa Fe Composite Squadron "Flying Tigers"
"A legacy of Honor"

bd5av8r

My advice (NBB 2010) is this

"Semper Gumby" that is "always flexible" and never be afraid to do tasks that you'd never do as a "leadership cadet."

NBB is a team sport. A team is only as strong as its weakest link. Do that which is asked of you and you'll be rewarded with the finest NCSA you can think of.

Listen to everyone (regardless of grade) you'll be a much better NBB cadet for it. Take all in you can, NBB is like drinking from a fire hose. :D

As for homesickness, you'll be to busy to worry about that. :)

Finally, on your time, study "St. Alban." know who that is and what they stood for.

Remember the Beret is just cloth. Its the person who makes the Beret what it is. :)

Greetings from SC!

Capmonkey

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: bd5av8r on December 04, 2018, 03:27:22 AM
My advice (NBB 2010) is this

"Semper Gumby" that is "always flexible" and never be afraid to do tasks that you'd never do as a "leadership cadet."

NBB is a team sport. A team is only as strong as its weakest link. Do that which is asked of you and you'll be rewarded with the finest NCSA you can think of.

Listen to everyone (regardless of grade) you'll be a much better NBB cadet for it. Take all in you can, NBB is like drinking from a fire hose. :D

As for homesickness, you'll be to busy to worry about that. :)

Finally, on your time, study "St. Alban." know who that is and what they stood for.

Remember the Beret is just cloth. Its the person who makes the Beret what it is. :)

An entire sub-culture for a fly-in? Sorry, but it still sounds cult-like to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

bd5av8r

No more "Cult-like" than Hawk Mountain. :) lol
Greetings from SC!

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: bd5av8r on December 05, 2018, 05:43:37 AM
No more "Cult-like" than Hawk Mountain. :) lol

No argument from me about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Jester

I know a guy with a NBB tattoo. I have yet to see a HMRS one.

Eclipse

That one activity is "less cult-like" then another isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Jester on December 05, 2018, 05:42:56 PM
I know a guy with a NBB tattoo. I have yet to see a HMRS one.

TMI, way too much TMI. :o