Gipps Type Designator for FAA Flight Plans?

Started by airdale, April 16, 2009, 04:03:46 PM

airdale

Does anyone know what it is?  The latest FAA 7110.65S Appendix B does not list Gippsland at all and I have no idea where else to look.

DG

You must mean GA8.  That is what we are using for FAA flight plans.  Did you take the transition training?

https://ntc.cap.af.mil/ops/dot/school/GA8cfm/index.cfm

airdale

I did the on-line thing two or three years ago out of curiosity, but have never had any interest in flying the airplane.  I didn't remember the GA8 as a type designation from the training, either, but apparently the FAA did not take the course:

On first look, http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/ATC/Appendices/atcapdb.html#atcapdb.html.1 does not list Gippsland at all, but I found it as "GAF (Australia)" with their Nomad airframe having designator "NOMA."  "GA-7" is a Grumman Cougar, so in the event anyone at ATC cared, GA8 would probably be misinterpreted.  "AIRV," anyone?

bosshawk

I would suggest contacting the FAA: after all, they do the designating.  GA-8 works for me.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SJFedor

GA8 designator, I think, is for some time of Grumman aircraft. Every time I've filed under a GA8, every time ATC does a traffic advisory for another aircraft about me, they always describe me as a Grumman.

When workload permits, I tell them it's a Gippsland GA-8, they ask what the heck it is, I tell them it's a high wing single that looks like a 208 had a piston powered baby.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

es_g0d

I tell 'em its a 207 that ate a baby, you know, like the dingo.

In any case, it would be nice to get a clarification: explaining every time is reserved to more important stuff, like the strange spelling of my last name.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

airdale

Quoteit would be nice to get a clarification ...
Yeah.  I just thought it was strange and that someone here would quickly provide the answer.  I know a couple of FAA ATC managers that I could call, but I just hate to send them off into the brush and brambles of the bureaucracy.  I figure I can only ask for so many favors and I don't want to waste my quota on stuff like this.

Seems like someone at national HQ would have become aware of this issue and long since solved it.

OTOH I guess the main time it becomes important is if the airplane goes down.  And CAP knows what a Gipps is, regardless of what's on the flight strip.

es_g0d

QuoteSeems like someone at national HQ would have become aware of this issue and long since solved it.

Leadership is NOT waiting for National HQ Staff to tell you what to do.  WE, the membership, are at the forefront of issues: we can inform THEM what we learn and what we've done!  No big deal, its just a mindset.  If we do those things, we can avoid over-regulation.
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

airdale

es_g0d

Yes, I will.  :D  Airdale, please let us all know when you've tracked down the answer. 

My apologies, I'm using turnabout as fair play.  In all seriousness, it appears that the combined wisdom of the forum (cough, cough) doesn't have the answer to your well-posed question.  In that case, I would suggest you continue the search and share with us what you learn.  Thanks!
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net