Achievement 14 - Operations Officer, ES Qualification Requirement

Started by jimmydeanno, September 30, 2009, 02:17:20 PM

jimmydeanno

For cadets that are completing Achievement 14 - Operations Officer there is a requirement to either:

a) Plan and conduct and ES exercise or Bivouac for cadets in their unit.
b) Become and MSA or GTM-3.

If they've already done "b" beforehand, then they must do "a."

I understand the reasoning behind the requirements, and in many ways support them.  However, I think that option "b" is a bit odd, simply because earning those qualifications could take months or even a year to complete, certainly not convenient to accomplish in the two month time frame for advancement.

Even more odd is that it would penalize those cadets who had earned the qualifications before reaching achievement 14.  By virtue of those cadets already having the qualifications, do they not have more significant ES/Operations experience than those who are earning the rating at the Achievement 14 time frame?

It seems to me that most cadets would opt to complete item "a" because of the shorter time period to complete it and the ease of being able to set a completion date.

I'm not complaining that there is an option to earn a qual, but I think that there is a disconnect between the two options.  In all reality, the bivouac could just be a squadron camping trip with some classes like shelter building, etc.  Worthwhile training, yes - difficult to accomplish? No.

Thoughts?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

MSA isn't exactly a Ph.d in ES, either - other than the missions its a few nights work, tops.

It doesn't make sense, though that if they already have it, it wouldn't count towards ops.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on September 30, 2009, 02:22:19 PM
MSA isn't exactly a Ph.d in ES, either - other than the missions its a few nights work, tops.

I agree there, but the trouble comes in with the Exercise Participation.  If there isn't a SAREX or training with a mission number associated in that period, they're a bit out of luck.  I've seen some wings that only have SAREX's quarterly and don't advocate local units getting mission numbers.

I suppose they could conduct both options "a" and "b" get their own mission number for their own training exercise for their own qualification - which would be great experience, but is it practical for their progression?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

I'd agree, and then make sure that is discussed with the cadet(s) in that regard.

My wing has plenty of missions and training, so not as much of an issue here, but as you say, plenty of wings don't do as much ES.

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

I didn't know about that.

Is there anything that says that that requirement has to be completed while you are working on that particular achievement? If you are required to get a GTM or MSA rating, why wouldn't it count if you were already qualified? I'm guessing that is there to get the cadet involved in ES, if they already are, than what's the problem?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: DC on September 30, 2009, 06:01:37 PM
Is there anything that says that that requirement has to be completed while you are working on that particular achievement?

It says that you must complete one of the two options above, and if you've already completed "b" previously, then you must do "a."  So, yes, they must complete one of those two items during that achievement, if they choose to do that option.  If they don't want to earn a rating, then they just do option "a."

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

addo1

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 30, 2009, 02:17:20 PM
For cadets that are completing Achievement 14 - Operations Officer there is a requirement to either:

a) Plan and conduct and ES exercise or Bivouac for cadets in their unit.
b) Become and MSA or GTM-3.

Uhh.... What if you have already done (b) and (a) several times?
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Pingree1492

Quick clarification, this is for the Operations Officer Staff Service, which does not need to be completed to complete Achievement 14.

To complete the SDA requirement for Achievement 14, the cadet needs to complete the following:
Quote from: CAPP 52-14SDA Report
1) Outline the requirements and procedures for obtaining a ground team member rating.
2) Conduct an operational risk management analysis of safety hazards for a real or simulated cadet activity in the field or on a flight line. For information about ORM, see the safety web page at www.cap.gov.

Now, if the cadet in question chooses Operations Officer as his/her Staff Service for Phase IV, THEN he/she would need to do the following:
Quote from: CAPP 52-14Staff Service (one staff service required per Phase)
1) Research an emergency services agency (other than CAP) and report on its mission, capabilities, and how it interacts with CAP.
2) Write a staff study report that addresses cadets' potential to contribute to CAP emergency services or homeland security efforts. Discuss what limitations cadets may have (ie: experience, age, maturity) and how, if at all, they may be overcome. Identify the benefits that may result from increased cadet participation in CAP missions.
Additionally, complete one of the following:
3a) Plan and conduct an emergency services training exercise or bivouac for cadets in your unit.
3b) Become qualified as a mission staff assistant or ground team member. If already qualified, complete item 3a above.

Which includes the discussed items.  Now, since this is completed over the course of Phase IV, the cadet in question has 10 months to complete the requirement, if he/she is promoting at the minimum 2 month rate.  And, the cadet can complete the MSA or GTM3 qualification anytime from after earning the Earhart Award, and before earning the Eaker Award.

Again, this only matters if the cadet is completing the Operations Officer Staff Service, and has no bearing on completing the Operations Officer Achievement.  Which appears to be where the confusion has sprung from.  And, just so you don't have to take my word for it, here is the reg cite:

Quote from: CAPR 52-16(3) Staff Duty Analysis. Cadets continue in the SDA program. To complete achievements 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16, cadets must complete a SDA report for the staff position that corresponds with their achievement (see Figure 2-1; for example, during Achievement 12, cadets report on the duties of the Leadership Officer). Additionally, to earn the Eaker Award, cadets must participate in SDA staff service, acting as an apprentice to a senior member in one of the five staff positions they studied during Phase IV. For details on how to prepare SDA reports and complete SDA staff service, see CAPP 52-14.
(Emphasis mine)

So, here's my question.  The reg says to complete become qualified as a Ground Team Member.  I'm assuming this means that the cadet goes from GES to GTM-3.  Now, let's assume that the cadet was already qualified as a GTM-3, and goes from GTM-3 to GTM-2 as a part of their staff service, can this still count?  Opinions?
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

ZigZag911

GTM3 to 2 sounds reasonable.

Why limit the ES quals available? Why can't it be any ES area open to cadets?

lordmonar

I would have to say no.

It says get MSA or Ground Team Qualified or to plan and conduct an ES training activity if already qualified.

So.....it seems the idea behind the requirment is for the cadet to do something new.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP