Main Menu

An idea

Started by T8nker, October 15, 2017, 09:55:37 PM

T8nker

I've heard folks talk about how CAP shouldn't have ABUs/BDUs, because it's difficult for SAR operations. And I know lots of folks aren't happy about how you have to wear black boots with ABUs.

Here's my idea.

Why not give everyone the Navy blue BDUs? Those that senior members wear. They're a solid color,  so they'd be good for SAR and people would get too pissy about boots.

If CAP had a surplus of blue BDUs, do y'all think it would be a good idea to issue them to both senior members and cadets, and just use them as the primary working uniform?

LATORRECA

Quote from: T8nker on October 15, 2017, 09:55:37 PM
I've heard folks talk about how CAP shouldn't have ABUs/BDUs, because it's difficult for SAR operations. And I know lots of folks aren't happy about how you have to wear black boots with ABUs.

Here's my idea.

Why not give everyone the Navy blue BDUs? Those that senior members wear. They're a solid color,  so they'd be good for SAR and people would get too pissy about boots.

If CAP had a surplus of blue BDUs, do y'all think it would be a good idea to issue them to both senior members and cadets, and just use them as the primary working uniform?
Ooh boy! Here we go again. Wait for it.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Abby.L

Here's my idea.

Wow, you must be the first person to have ever thought of this! Someone get this man a commander's commendation!

In all seriousness, if you think this is a good idea and can write up a good plan for how to implement it, I would send it up your CoC. Until then, ma' blue and the NUC has made their decisions regarding ABU/BDU/BBDU wear. I, for one, do not wear the ABUs because of the black boots, and the fact that I am not allowed to wear my beret with it. You don't have to wear it.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

arajca

t8nker,
   you are making an incorrect assumption that CAP can provide field uniforms (the official name of the BBDU) to members. Members who wear the field uniform have purchased it themselves. The big influx of ABUs CAP received was from AAFES and were the previous generation, not the current issue. the AF directed AAFES to store the old ones until such time as CAP was authorized to wear them.

When my wing picked them up, the attitude of the AAFES personnel was "it's about time". Not because of any delay once we got the word, but because it took so long to get the word.

CAP9907

Here's my idea.

Yes, please do. I'll be first in line once you figure out how to pay for it and how to standardize the uniform... sign me up!!
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

NIN

I've heard folks talk about how CAP shouldn't have ABUs/BDUs, because it's difficult for SAR operations.

Blues are difficult for SAR operations too.

Not everybody in CAP does SAR.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Sapper168

I've heard folks talk about how CAP shouldn't have ABUs/BDUs, because it's difficult for SAR operations.

Did they say what was difficult about the uniform for SAR operations?  I don't see how the color of a garment makes SAR operations more difficult.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Holding Pattern

TBH on exercises the ABUs have proven to be nice because unlike with the BDU, we can see the cadets in the field without having to put orange vests on them.

That probably wasn't the intent of the ABU, but it is a nice benefit since we have it.

kwe1009

Quote from: Mordecai on October 16, 2017, 03:56:45 AM
TBH on exercises the ABUs have proven to be nice because unlike with the BDU, we can see the cadets in the field without having to put orange vests on them.

That probably wasn't the intent of the ABU, but it is a nice benefit since we have it.

It is always nice when you have a cammo pattern that doesn't work on anything.  :)

Honestly, that is the only plus to having the ABU, it stands out when you are in the woods.

Spam

Quote from: kwe1009 on October 16, 2017, 12:40:03 PM

It is always nice when you have a cammo pattern that doesn't work on anything.  :)

Honestly, that is the only plus to having the ABU, it stands out when you are in the woods.

Teammates,

As a reminder, when you put a team in the woods, in ANY UNIFORM, you are indeed required to have them (all) in approved safety vests, regardless of your subjective opinion as to their visibility in BDUs or ABUs or BBDUs (as there is no need for an ABU specific addendum since all uniforms are covered). See:

CAPM 39-1 26 JUNE 2014 (Includes Interim Change Letters 17 Nov 15 and 6 Mar 16) (ABU Wear Instructions)
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/M391_E6F33EAAEC28A.pdf
9.5. Wear of Items Required for Emergency Services or Safe Operations. Items required to be worn by
the various Task Guides as published by NHQ/DO are authorized to be worn with the USAF-style and
Corporate-style utility and flight uniforms.
9.5.1. Safety Vest. Worn in accordance with instructions found in CAPR 62-1, CAP Safety
Responsibilities and Procedures.

CAPR 62-1 19 DECEMBER 2012
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R062_001_85D0CB3FE48A5.pdf
7. Personal Protective Equipment
a. Every CAP member will wear appropriate safety vests or safety apparel as outlined below when participating in CAP ground functions during all times, day or night. Safety vests or safety apparel may be orange or lime green and may be worn with or without the CAP logo. Examples of applicable ground functions are, but not limited to:
(1) All outdoor ground functions of emergency services.
b. Safety vests are approved for wear over the outermost garment of AF-style uniform or corporate uniform and must be ANSI compliant as defined in paragraph 7d below.

V/r
Spam

Abby.L

Quote from: kwe1009 on October 16, 2017, 12:40:03 PM

Ugh, don't remind me. I think that was the worst part of my SERE training. My ABUs did nothing to hide me while the aggressors were looking for me.  :-\
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013