Main Menu

Training Library

Started by davedove, October 30, 2006, 04:49:14 PM

davedove

I have recently been appointed as the Professional Development Officer for my squadron (that will teach me to express an interest ::)).  One of the requirements for the Technician rating is to "Develop and maintain a unit senior training material library."

Right now our training material library is basically copies of the specialty Track Pamphlets.  Can any of you give me any ideas of what else should be included in this library?
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ncc1912

• More than the pamphlets, it would behoove you to have a complete set of regs (especially 50-17) or immediate access to the electronic versions for reference.  Most if not all of the pamphlets reference other regs and it is helpful to have them on-hand.
  • You need to have a copy of the Level I Orientation training materials
  • Copy of Cadet Protection Program Training materials.
  • It is good to keep historical copies of your STRs (senior training reports).  At least a year, if possible.
  • Have a very firm understanding of the AFIADL enrollment process.  If you don't, none of your seniors will make it past first lieutenant.  Inquire with your wing PD officer and find out how he/she would like you to do this.  A lot of people don't realize that the enrollment and test requisition can be completed online now.
  • Get onto AFIADL website and snoop around.  There are a number of Professional Military Education (PME) and Career Development Courses (CDC) that CAP members can take free of charge or a substantially low cost.
  • CAP Specialty Track courses can be found at: AFIADL > Go to "Catalogs" > Click "Specialized Courses (SC)" > "CAP Courses"
  • For CAP Senior Officer Course (a.k.a. AFIADL [formerly ECI] Course 00013) :  AFIADL > Go to "Catalogs" > Click "Professional Military Education (PME)" > "CAP & Reserve Forces Officer Extension Program"
  • Also, know that majors can opt-out of Region Staff College in favor of the Air Force's Squadron Officer's School (SOS).  Keep current on enrollment procedures.
  • ... The same goes for lieutenant colonels and National Staff College.  Air Command and Staff College (ACSC) and Air War College (AWC) can substitute.  Keep current on enrollment procedures.
NOTE: Know that IMT is a military acronym for Information Management Tool:  basically, and electronic form.
//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea

arajca

If you have the space, I recommend getting one set of AFIADL materials that your members have finished with. Also, the guides for SLS, CLC, UCC, TLC. These materials can be used to hold classes on a particular subject.

If you have the space and money, books from the CSAF reading list area good idea as well.

I also recommend visiting the US Fire Administration website and checking out what publications they have that you find useful - the cost is right (free).

Overall, it's up to you and your commander as to what you have in there.

Level I and CPPT are now available as on-line courses. You shuoldn't need to keep hardcopies, but it is not a bad idea. just make sure you have the current courses. You should have a copy of the discussion guide for the new Level I that is NOT available to the members for yourself and with your test inventory.

davedove

Quote from: arajca on October 30, 2006, 05:43:30 PM
If you have the space and money, books from the CSAF reading list area good idea as well.

I had thought of that.  I love to read anyway, so I figured I would read these books myself, then donate them to the library as I finished them.  I will also invite other members to do the same.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

DNall

1) a shelf where people can check out & exchange books as they read them sounds like a nice idea. Never tried it myself.

2) an electronic library might be more realistic. You can link to lots of stuff w/o worry of copyright issues, and if you watch it you can host a good bit on your Sq website.

3) per above, I STRONGLY recommend, actually insist, you include the ATG: http://www.valpo.edu/afrotc/T-700_ATG.pdf

Pylon

A cool idea I've always wanted to do if I were to become a PDO or Senior Programs Officer would be a continuity book system for the training library.  Each job or functional area gets a binder and those who are serving, or have served, in that position, are invited to create a repository of their most useful materials, ideas, and tips.

At first, the materials will be sparse, but over the course of several years you will build a great resource for new personnel coming into the squadron.  If you've got a new member coming in that's getting involved in, for example, Logistics, you can loan them out the Logistics Continuity Binder to look over.  This way, they not only gain the knowledge of the current Logistics Officer, but all the past ones as well.

Just a thought.  The earlier you start such a system, the earlier it starts accumulating knowledge.  :)  Good luck with that training library!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

davedove

Quote from: davedove on October 30, 2006, 08:57:39 PM
Quote from: arajca on October 30, 2006, 05:43:30 PM

I had thought of that.  I love to read anyway, so I figured I would read these books myself, then donate them to the library as I finished them.  I will also invite other members to do the same.

I just looked at this post again.  CAP has a "Read to Lead" program, which is basically CAP's reading list.  Some of the books are also on the CSAF list, but many are different.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

Pylon

Quote from: davedove on October 31, 2006, 06:27:24 PM
I just looked at this post again.  CAP has a "Read to Lead" program, which is basically CAP's reading list.  Some of the books are also on the CSAF list, but many are different.

And just for those interested, the CAP "Read to Lead" list is available here: http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/programs/read_to_lead/
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

davedove

Quote from: DNall on October 31, 2006, 06:07:30 AM
an electronic library might be more realistic. You can link to lots of stuff w/o worry of copyright issues, and if you watch it you can host a good bit on your Sq website.

We don't durrently have internet acces at the squadron, but I will certainly make up a notebook with the various links, so members can access them at home.

Quote from: DNall on October 31, 2006, 06:07:30 AMper above, I STRONGLY recommend, actually insist, you include the ATG: http://www.valpo.edu/afrotc/T-700_ATG.pdf

That's a real good suggestion, thanks.  I will also see about getting copies of both the Air Force Officer's Guide and the Airman's Guide for the library.

David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

DNall

Quote from: davedove on November 02, 2006, 01:43:34 PM
Quote from: DNall on October 31, 2006, 06:07:30 AM
an electronic library might be more realistic. You can link to lots of stuff w/o worry of copyright issues, and if you watch it you can host a good bit on your Sq website.

We don't durrently have internet acces at the squadron, but I will certainly make up a notebook with the various links, so members can access them at home.

Quote from: DNall on October 31, 2006, 06:07:30 AMper above, I STRONGLY recommend, actually insist, you include the ATG: http://www.valpo.edu/afrotc/T-700_ATG.pdf

That's a real good suggestion, thanks.  I will also see about getting copies of bothe the Air Force Officer's Guide and the Airman's Guide for the library.

You got a Sq website? I was thinking more along the lines of a virtual library of links up there. Sort of your own little "read to lead" list with the sources you've tracked down. Give that link a read. It's outstanding material.

davedove

Quote from: DNall on November 03, 2006, 03:49:24 AM
You got a Sq website? I was thinking more along the lines of a virtual library of links up there. Sort of your own little "read to lead" list with the sources you've tracked down. Give that link a read. It's outstanding material.

That's an incredible idea.  I'm going to do that.  After I track down enough links, I will get with our website folks to put up my "Virtual Training Library".  Of course, I may have to learn to do it myself, since the website hasn't been updated for almost a year. :(  Once the library is in place, I will submit it to "Best Practices."

If anyone has any other links, it would be most appreciated.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

davedove

Another thing I have decided to do is to create notebooks for each specialty track, pairing that track's study guide with the most relevant regulations/pamphlets associated with that specialty.

For instance, it would group CAPP CAPP 204 Specialty Track Study Guide-Senior Program Officer with CAPR 50-17 CAP Senior Member Professional Development Program (and probably others).

That way, a member could just pull one book that would have the relevant information for a particular specialty and not have to pull several different regs.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

arajca

The only problem with having a notebook for each specialty is keeping them updated. An electronic library can have sections for each track with links to the appropriate regs on the National website.