Take care of your people

Started by Seabee219, September 07, 2009, 05:00:30 PM

Seabee219

Time and time again, I have seen and heard stories of cadets and senior members in there units being shoved aside for one reason or another.  IMO, the heart of CAP is the cadets. I have been DCC for over 2 years now and I take care of my cadets. If they qual for an award, they get it. I motivate them to do better, give them what they earn, as far as milestones and so forth. 

When I took over I had several cadets that earned their Wright Brothers award and never got it.  After they recieved it, I was told that they were going to quit but instead they stayed another 2 years, and one became cadet Commander.   :clap:

Sometimes we, as leaders have to make a choice that we do not want to make, but you must think what impact will it have on your squadron.  I have 3 rules that I use among other things, but my rules are as follows

1.  Lead by example
2.  Take care of your people
3.  Do not ask anyone to do anything you would not do yourself

I know most of you know that, but I wanted to get this off my chest.

Thanks
CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

Airrace

Eclipse

Quote from: Seabee219 on September 07, 2009, 05:00:30 PM
  Time and time again, I have seen and heard stories of cadets and senior members in there units being shoved aside for one reason or another.  IMO, the heart of CAP is the cadets.

I agree with your sentiment, but the heart of CAP is the member, not specific to cadets or seniors.
There are plenty of units in this country without any cadets, and further there is no cadet program without the seniors running it.

Most CAP units are composite squadrons and should be run in a cooperative fashion giving precedence to neither class of membership.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Eclipse on September 07, 2009, 05:24:03 PM
I agree with your sentiment, but the heart of CAP is the member, not specific to cadets or seniors.
There are plenty of units in this country without any cadets, and further there is no cadet program without the seniors running it.

Most CAP units are composite squadrons and should be run in a cooperative fashion giving precedence to neither class of membership.

I agree with Eclipse on this one.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Fifinella

Good rules.  I would also add "master the fundamentals": you and the rest of your squadron should have that as a primary goal.  And I assume integrity is part of "lead by example".

I believe a true leader is there for what s/he can do for others, and that the sign of a leader is that s/he produces other leaders.

Keep taking care of your folks, and thank you for your service.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Strick

We should come up with the commanders ten commandments of command :) :)
[darn]atio memoriae

Strick

1. I shall not wear my uniform improperly

2. I shall promote all missions of CAP 
[darn]atio memoriae

Seabee219

Yes it is up to the member on how there time in goes. I have heard of senior member units only that are outstanding, all good points. thank you for your input.

CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

notaNCO forever

One other bit of advice plan for the future, and have a replacement.

Spike

Quote from: notaNCO forever on September 15, 2009, 07:14:20 PM
One other bit of advice plan for the future, and have a replacement.

Good advice...to add on to that, Always be training your replacement. 

We all see how quick some Commanders drop CAP like a bad pot roast.  Some actually run away from it. 

Also, take care of yourself.  Don't get too overworked or stressed out about CAP.  We all make bad decisions (some worse than others) and there are times when we all need to step back and ponder.  Don't make rash decisions, put anything in writing or say things you don't want to say.  It will always come back to bite you in the bum.

ol'fido

Quote from: Strick on September 08, 2009, 02:28:51 AM
We should come up with the commanders ten commandments of command :) :)
There already is a ten commandments. Look at the very back of "The War Diary of Richard Winters" by Richard Winters(Band of Brothers). That's all any leader needs.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Gunner C

Strick

1. Strive to be a leader of flawless character, technical competence and moral courage.

Flawless character—start with honesty. Character provides a leader with a moral compass that focuses his efforts on the values we cherish: courage, honesty, selflessness, and respect for our fellow man. Character also allows you to make decisions quickly and correctly.

Technical competency—Those entrusted to lead must study their profession to become totally proficient in tactics and technology. Read and be prepared. You should study to develop your own personality; your own personal perspective on command.

Moral courage—means doing what you know to be right even when commanded to do different.

2. Lead from the front. Say, "Follow me!" and then lead the way.
Never ask your team to do something you wouldn't do yourself...You cannot make sound decisions unless you are at the point of attack. Leaders should always position themselves where the critical decisions must be made. Precisely where that location should be is a judgment call, but in my experience leader should be as far forward as possible. Successful leaders must be highly visible, if for no other reason than to share the hardships of their men.

3. Stay in top physical shape—physical stamina is the root of mental toughness. Physical exhaustion leads to mental fatigue.

4. Develop your team. If you know your people, are fair in setting realistic goals and expectations, and lead by example, you will develop teamwork.

5. Delegate responsibility to your subordinates and let them do their jobs. You can't do a good job if you don't have a chance to use your imagination and your creativity. Know the strengths and weaknesses of your team in order to assign the right men to the proper jobs. There is no need to tell someone how to do his job if you have properly trained your team.

6. Anticipate problems and prepare to overcome obstacles. Don't wait until you get to the top of the ridge and then make up your mind. Careful preparation and anticipation of potential problems eliminates many of the obstacles that one encounters on the battlefield. Good preparation is always vital to the success of any operation, but leader must remain flexible on the action commences.

7. Remain humble. Don't worry about who receives the credit. Never let power or authority go to your head. Leaders should assume responsibility when the operation fails; when it succeeds, credit the men and women in your team. They do the lion's share of the work. Dwight D. Eisenhower said, "Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends.

8. Take a moment of self-reflection. Look at yourself in the mirror every night and ask yourself if you did your best. Take a moment of self-reflection before rushing into an important decision. Many leaders don't take the time to consider carefully their decisions or the implications of their actions. The opportunity for self-analysis allows you to find your own self-consciousness, which in turn tells you if you are getting off track. Nobody will have to tell you that the course of action that you are contemplating is incorrect or ineffective. If you take advantage of opportunities for personal reflection, and if you honestly examine yourself, you will be a more effective leader.

9. True satisfaction comes from getting the job done. The key to a successful leader is to earn respect—not because of rank or position, but because you are a leader of character.

10. Hang Tough!—Never, ever give up. If you are a leader, a fellow who other fellows look to, you have got to keep going.
[darn]atio memoriae

Ricochet13

Quote from: Seabee219 on September 07, 2009, 05:00:30 PM
  Time and time again, I have seen and heard stories of cadets and senior members in there units being shoved aside for one reason or another.  IMO, the heart of CAP is the cadets. I have been DCC for over 2 years now and I take care of my cadets. If they qual for an award, they get it. I motivate them to do better, give them what they earn, as far as milestones and so forth. 

When I took over I had several cadets that earned their Wright Brothers award and never got it.  After they recieved it, I was told that they were going to quit but instead they stayed another 2 years, and one became cadet Commander.   :clap:

Sometimes we, as leaders have to make a choice that we do not want to make, but you must think what impact will it have on your squadron.  I have 3 rules that I use among other things, but my rules are as follows

1.  Lead by example
2.  Take care of your people
3.  Do not ask anyone to do anything you would not do yourself

I know most of you know that, but I wanted to get this off my chest.

Thanks

BIG ditto!!   :clap:

Chappie

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

ol'fido

Thanks, Strick. I had neither the time nor the typing skill  to type all that out.

Strick

Good stuff my the Major, I am going to print it out and put it on the wall at the squdron.  I had a cadet leave for the ARMY and is determined to become a AB RANGER.  I presented him with the book BAND OF BROTHERS. The commandments that Major Wnters came up with indicates that is a very humble man.
[darn]atio memoriae

Gunner C

In each of his interviews Meadows appeared to be extremely humble and willing, if not eager, to give everyone else the credit for his accomplishments.  A truly great man.

Spike

Quote from: Strick on September 17, 2009, 10:45:39 PM
Good stuff my the Major, I am going to print it out and put it on the wall at the squdron.  I had a cadet leave for the ARMY and is determined to become a AB RANGER.  I presented him with the book BAND OF BROTHERS. The commandments that Major Wnters came up with indicates that is a very humble man.

Before you do that, you need to find a copy of the Army Officers guide from 1940.  I thought I read those before somewhere.  Although general information and knowledge, it is the same as what is in the Officers guide.

It is called "The Officers Guide", and I suppose Major Winters read it back then. 

It is good info, but sources should really be cited in his book. 

ol'fido

Quote from: Gunner C on September 18, 2009, 05:30:15 AM
In each of his interviews Meadows appeared to be extremely humble and willing, if not eager, to give everyone else the credit for his accomplishments.  A truly great man.
Gunner,

Are you talking about Richard Winters or Richard Meadows of Son Tay fame?

Gunner C

Quote from: olefido on September 18, 2009, 10:02:56 PM
Quote from: Gunner C on September 18, 2009, 05:30:15 AM
Gunner,

Are you talking about Richard Winters or Richard Meadows of Son Tay fame?

Where the heck did that come from?  I was talking about Winters.  I knew Meadows, but he's another discussion, but from the same cut of cloth.

ol'fido

^^True warriors and leaders both.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RiveraJ on September 08, 2009, 01:04:10 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 07, 2009, 05:24:03 PM

I agree with Eclipse on this one.

So do I.  I am in a cadet squadron, but we never give the SM's short shrift, at least we try not to.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011