Google Earth and CAP Grids

Started by Ranger75, February 22, 2009, 05:11:42 PM

Ranger75

In a number of entries, I found reference to the Google Earth's ability to reflect search grids.  I admit to having only a basic working knowledge of the program.  In the past, I have used it to pre-fly the route to and general terrain associated with a designated search area.  I accomplished this using terrain association, rather than being able to call up a specific SAR grid reference.  Can anyone suggest an on-line tutorial, or provide an executive summary of what is required to display Google Earth overlayed with the grid system?  Thanks

RiverAux

I don't have the link available, but have used that capability before.  I do wish they would make the gridlines a whole lot more noticable. 

Overall, I think this capability is of more use to your base personnel than the mission pilot.  I could see using the information on forest cover, etc. from google earth while deciding on grid search patterns and perhaps on which grids to search.  If I had time, it couldn't hurt to print off the image of the grid for the crew to take with them for find target locations, air-ground coordination, etc. 

If we're talking about photo assessment flights in urban areas, google earth is an invaluable tool in providing info to the aircrew on what they're target might look like. 

es_g0d

The best and most complete conventional grids for Google Earth that I have found are available here:
http://msocs.org/google_earth/
Credit goes to Major Hector Perez of FL Wing on that one.

If you're doing grids, you'll probably want them on a sectional chart (at least someday).  Here's information on how to do that in Google Earth:
http://www.wikihow.com/Overlay-Sectional-Aeronautical-Charts-in-Google-Earth

Of course, I'm also partial to the GridFinder application:
http://www.cap-es.net/Gridfinder/gridfind.html and the associated Sectional charts printed with grid lines in .pdf format.  (Shameless self promotion should be noted on this one)

I'm sorry it took so long to find the Google Earth Grids url; its great stuff and could/should be promoted better.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Tubacap

bump...

Does anyone have up to date (or available) CAP grid overlays for Google Earth?  The one above does not come up anymore.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Robborsari

IMU can export KML files to overlay cap grids in google earth.  That is a menu item in the grid assist module.
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

JC004

Quote from: Tubacap on April 03, 2010, 02:25:12 PM
bump...

Does anyone have up to date (or available) CAP grid overlays for Google Earth?  The one above does not come up anymore.

You suck.  You ask this now?  I think that I deleted those when I deleted the PAWG web site files from my computer.  They were part of a project that wing found unnecessary.  Like they do with technology as a whole. 

Go back to paper.  And make sure it's outdated.  It's the PAWG way.

CAP277

I'm also looking for Google Earth CAP Grid Overlays if anyone has any. Thanks

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fubar

Heh, Google brings you right back to this thread :)

a2capt

I swear, thats just sooooo useful. What a smug attitude. Dave, I'm sorry, but it is. Really helpful. At least you didn't 'hide' it behind bit.ly/tinyurl.com

That type of reply that a few folks on here, participate in, is about as good as a typical GoB unit.

SarDragon

Yup, The first hit is a circular reference. The next three aren't, nor are any of the hits on the first three pages that have both CAP and Google Earth on the same page.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret