Main Menu

New national renewals?

Started by capchiro, January 24, 2006, 01:18:44 PM

capchiro

A senior member that walked out of a meeting and quit a year or so ago, and dropped off of national's rolls, received an invitation from the National Commander to renew his membership into his National Squadron, telling the ex-member that he wouldn't have to redo his finger prints, that he would retain his grade and that his lapse in membership would just be considered a "delayed renewal".  Any idea what this is all about?  How much are they charging for this service/dues?  This particular gentleman had a felony conviction in the past and I would not want him back in my squadron without another fingerprint check.  I understand the desire to increase the rolls, but, I am concerned about soliciting members back without some oversight.  Am I right to be concerned?  I have never heard of this program before (although I only have 33 years in CAP).
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Matt

Now I may be being a bit blissful on this, just to get it in the open.  I'm intrigued by this on the basis I know of a number of people who chose not to attempt to join on the basis of past felonies.

To my recollection, a felony without full pardon prior to joining would actually hold you from joining, and being convicted of a felony while a member would null your membership and you would be eligible for being released from CAP per CAPR 35-3.

So, even if the Nat'l CC would want him back, IAW CAPRs he actually could not be a member???
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

capchiro

Actually, the reg's state conviction of a felony may be the basis for rejection of membership.  In the present case, I know that the applicant listed taht he was charged with vehicular homicide on his application and he was accepted.  He may not have been convicted.  However, the question remains about the "new"?? policy of the National Commander inviting ex-members back on to the rolls with only a payment of dues and nothing else?  Due to other situations with this member, I would not process his re-application as squadron commander.   Now, he can renew through national and perhaps request to be re-assigned to me?  I am concerned about the perceived cavalier attitude of National regarding renewing members that have been off of the rolls for a while.
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

pixelwonk

This came out as a National Policy Letter  just a few days ago...
Quote from: The big cheeseMEMORANDUM FOR ALL CAP UNIT COMMANDERS
SUBJECT: Change to CAPR 39-2, Civil Air Patrol Membership
1. Paragraph 4-2b of CAPR 39-2 currently states that members renewing over 90 days
from their expiration date are subject to acceptance by the unit and higher
headquarters, payment of retroactive membership dues and are required to submit a
new fingerprint card. Effective immediately a new fingerprint card will only be required if
the indvidiual is late renewing more than 180 days from their expiration date.
2. A formal change to CAPR 39-2, "Civil Air Patrol Membership," will be forthcoming. If
additional information or assistance is required please call Membership Services

Seems to be a bit of incongruity at NHQ on this subject if it's actually been a year since the member has dropped off the rolls. ...or has it been sooner?

Pace

Quote from: capchiro on January 24, 2006, 07:14:47 PM
Now, he can renew through national and perhaps request to be re-assigned to me?
If you don't want him, you don't have to take him; regardless of what the CAP/CC does in his squadron.
Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

Correct - as the unit commander you have the authority to refuse new members or transferees.

All other things being equal, we >are< talking about the national commander of a paramilitary organization / private corporation of which he is both the General and CEO.

Regs are regs, but if there is anyone in CAP who can "do what he wants" it would be our 2-star.  In not, what is the point of all that hassle?

YMMV as to how much you want to fight this, but bear in mind with the stroke of a pen you would be out of a job.

I'm >not< suggesting you just roll over, but out of both respect and self-preservation I, personally, would think about it a bit before refusing an order from CAPFLT001.

It might also be easier in the long run to build a real case against the guy for a 2b, which is nearly impossible to reverse.  In fact I know of some cases where members dropped before they were kicked so they could come back later.

"That Others May Zoom"

Westernslope

capchiro

After having talked to National yesterday I was able to clarify this program.  Apparently, in an attempt to increase the rolls, National has sent out invitations to members that have not renewed in the past 3-5 years to join a National squadron.  To rejoin, they pay the current year and one past year national dues ($70.00 total).  They are reinstated for rank and time-in-grade purposes.  They are members of the National squadron and are in effect patron members.  If they chose to transfer to a local squadron and have been off of the rolls more than six months, they must submit a fingerprint card and a Form 2 or 2A ( I don't have one in front of me), requesting the transfer.  It would appear that the local squadron commander could refuse the transfer if he felt that he had a good reason.  Apparently the program is working as they have had over 300 responses so far.  With this information in mind, this might not be a bad program after all.  It's too bad that National doesn't bother letting the field commanders know what's going on in the organization so we don't end up out in left field with these things.  What's everyone's opinion on this program?   
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Eclipse

Opinion? Useless. Glad its not going to cause you the issues above, though.

Just more deadweight members on the roles for no reason.  The last thing this organization needs are more empty-uniforms on the roster. If the members went on the role of a unit in the home zip code, and the money went to that unit, there would be some obscure justification for it, but as described, this just turns the NHQ unit into a 30-page MML.

If the only reason they are re-upping is because NHQ nagged them, what's the point? To them or us? Retention / reinstatement of grade is meaningless to someone not participating, and all the other quals (except ROA) will drop off anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"