Communications specialty track

Started by NHQ-OS-126 Frank, August 24, 2008, 01:01:42 PM

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Hello everybody,

I want to take the Communications specialty track technician rating. As I am a ham radio operator I also want to  do radio communications with the cadets in our unit.

But I find nowhere information about which material, forms and publications I need to study before taking the test......

When I go to e-services and select online test then I only get to the questions and the test itself but I get no information about the study material........

Does anyone know  which regs I need to study ??

Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

fltopsguy

Start by reviewing CAPP 214, the Specialty Track Pamphlet for Communications Officer.

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Deputy commander
Germany
LX1MG

MIKE

Specific to your situation.

Quote from: CAPR 35-4e. Transmitting radio frequencies will not be authorized. However, there is no objection to simulator training if the equipment and an instructor are available.

Edit: See also:

Quote from: CAPR 100-111-2. Use of Amateur Radio Service by CAP. The use of frequencies in the amateur radio service to conduct CAP business including SAR/DR operations is prohibited by law. CAP members with amateur radio licenses may only use CAP frequencies for CAP operations.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Quote from: CAPR 35-4
e. Transmitting radio frequencies will not be authorized. However, there is no objection to simulator training if the equipment and an instructor are available.

I know that the frequencies are different over here but as I am a ham radio operator ( LX1MG) I can use my personal equipment and use the ham radio frequencies over here (144MHz-146MHz) to teach the cadets how to operate a radio............

Deputy commander
Germany
LX1MG

MIKE

I wouldn't even touch the HAM gear.  See above edit.
Mike Johnston

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

I just saw it now...........

But if I read that we can't use CAP frequencies over here and CAP is not allowed to use HAM radio stuff, that means for us here overseas that we can't do any type of communications at all.........
Deputy commander
Germany
LX1MG

arajca

That does appear to be correct, however, I would contact Lt Col Mik Marek (michael@themareks.com) for clarification and more information. He's the leader of the Communications Team at National.

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Thank you for that information.   I will send him an e-mail to ask about that and what type of activity we could do with the cadets over here.
Deputy commander
Germany
LX1MG

MIKE

Since you are on Spangdahlem, it might be possible to arrange something with the USAF through the appropriate channels... as CAPR 35-4 appears to allude to.
Mike Johnston

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

We could ask the communication Sq. commander.......His sons are cadets in our sq.
Deputy commander
Germany
LX1MG

JoeTomasone

I agree, best to check with the USAF Comm Squadron and the NTC for guidance. 

If they have anything akin to the Family Radio Service over in Germany, that may be an acceptable substitute for training purposes as it is here.

♠SARKID♠

After some quick research, it looks like you should be able to use the Citizens Band service (its not just an American venture).  Defenitely check with your USAF comm geeks, but that might be a good option for training.

caprr275

if you want to get a ton of info you might want to join the CAP COMM yahoo group. there is a ton of information on there along with alot  of discussion about communications

wuzafuzz

Bump....

Regarding the Communications specialty track: the technician rating requires the completion of a variety of tasks including "participation in one communications exercise sanctioned by the Wing Director of Communications."  What kind of exercise counts?  Does participation at a SAREX in a Comm only role qualify (MRO, CUL)?  Participation in a mission is also listed, so my guess is that SAREX's would count as missions, not "communications exercises."

I'm within spitting distance of qualifying for my Comm tech rating.  My only remaining task is the communications exercise.  Unfortunately my wing hasn't held any formal communications exercises for some time, at least not that I'm aware of.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

arajca

Contact your wing DC to request a waiver of the exercise requirement if the wing hasn't held any exercises. Comm participation at a Sarex or incident does not count toward the exercise requirement.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: arajca on February 06, 2009, 06:55:25 PM
Contact your wing DC to request a waiver of the exercise requirement if the wing hasn't held any exercises. Comm participation at a Sarex or incident does not count toward the exercise requirement.

So, you'd accept a "waiver" for not doing anything as opposed to someone participating in comm during a SAREX?  Weird.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

wuzafuzz

Thanks for the information!
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

arajca

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 06, 2009, 06:57:09 PM

So, you'd accept a "waiver" for not doing anything as opposed to someone participating in comm during a SAREX?  Weird.
Participation in a communications function at a mission is covered under another requirement. Some wings regularly hold communications exercises, other do not.