Validating special appointment promotions?

Started by AlphaSigOU, January 13, 2006, 04:42:17 PM

AlphaSigOU

Just got back into CAP after a 17-year break in membership. According to the regs, being a former Earhart cadet and senior member 1st Lt, I should be able to have my former grade reinstated, so long as current training requirements are met. Already took Level I and CPPT to comply, as well as supplying a copy of my Earhart award certificate. Generally, once the paperwork (Form 2) is approved, how long does it take before National HQ validates the promotion?
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Pace

1st Lt also requires a specialty track technician rating.  Check the CAP Pamphlet 200-225 series for specific specialty tracks.
Lt Col, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: dcpacemaker on January 13, 2006, 04:58:40 PM
1st Lt also requires a specialty track technician rating.  Check the CAP Pamphlet 200-225 series for specific specialty tracks.

Am already enrolled in Historian and Cadet Programs, but don't yet have the minimum time to get the tech rating in either. Though the reg (CAPR 35-5) only mentions this for former member grade reinstatements.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Once it gets to NHQ, it is generally done in a few days, I have never seen proper paperwork take more than a week...

But, a special appointment must be approved by the wing commander, did you go that route?  In IL that would add a considerable amount of lead time, assuming it didn't fall into the "event horizon".

Second, NHQ will not call and tell you if anything is wrong, they will sit on it and return it via USPS with a rejection letter. I have seen that take three weeks or more, and many times for a simple type which could have been fixed over the phone.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

If you are using your Earhart to get 1st Lt... You shouldn't need anything but CPPT and Level 1... You'll just need to complete the other stuff to promote to Capt.

Mike Johnston

BillB

Actually, getting your previous 1Lt rank back is not a spacial appoinment. The Squadron Commander is the approval authority for 1Lt, so all that is required is his signature on the form 2 and show date CPPT was completed and Earhart #. As a form,er cadet you were exempt from level 1. Earhart promotions to 1Lt are automatic provided the Squadron Commander approves. Group and Wing are not approval authority, so it need not be sent to them, but direct to National.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

MIKE

Since there was a break in service greater than two years... Gotta take level 1.

The exemption only applies if you have a break in service less than two years.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

The reinstatement probably needs to go through wing. That has been my experience in the past with my own reinstatement, but it may vary by wing. Just make sure any substantiating documentation is attached.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Unit CC's and Group Commanders are only the approving authority for "clean"
promotions (i.e. TIG, specialty done, etc).

Special appointments (i.e. this case, CFI's, chaplains, former military grade, etc.) as well as reinstatement of former grade, require Wng approval.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Update...

My paperwork for promotion to 1st Lt was approved and went up to NHQ via e-mail today... now let's see how long it takes for them to validate.  :D

ETA: It's in the system now! :)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BlueLakes1

Quote from: Eclipse on January 13, 2006, 07:52:15 PM
Unit CC's and Group Commanders are only the approving authority for "clean"
promotions (i.e. TIG, specialty done, etc).

Special appointments (i.e. this case, CFI's, chaplains, former military grade, etc.) as well as reinstatement of former grade, require Wng approval.

Not so. Reference CAPR 35-5, Section A, 5 g. It provides that Unit commanders are the promoting authority for all 2nd and 1st Lt. promotions, except for professional appointments. Wing has the approval for professional appointments, which are covered under section E and include Chaplain/MLOs, Financial Professionals, Legal and Medical/Health Service Officers, and Aerospace Ed officers.

Special appointments are covered in section C, that includes commander appointments, former cadets, military grade appointments, and a few other things. Grade appointments for pilots and other mission related skills are covered in Section D. 2d and 1st Lts. appointed under these 2 sections do not require further approval from Wing.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret