Change of Command rank issue

Started by PWK-GT, December 29, 2005, 05:32:54 AM

PWK-GT

I have read (I forget where--I think the Knowledgebase) that if a 2LT becomes Squadron CC, Wing can promote them to 1LT.........and after 1 year in Command, can promote to Captain.
My question is this:
1) What is the benefit of doing this?
2) Why use the word CAN.........and not make this an automatic, if this actually serves some benefit?
Seems to me it would be more beneficial to the officer AND the unit if they had to go the normal route and requirements for said officer's promotion. Or does Command automatically induce an epiphany of intelligence and skill...... ::)
"Is it Friday yet"

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPR 35-3d. Squadron Commander. Wing commanders may advance a senior member to the grade of first lieutenant concurrent with the member's appointment as squadron commander. He or she becomes eligible for promotion to captain at the end of 1 year's service as squadron commander.
It is generally presumed that appointees to Squadron Commander have skills and knowledge commensurate to the position, exceeeding those of a second lieutenant. The rules have changed slightly over the years. It used to be that appointment as squadron commander brought a one grade promotion, not to go beyond major.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

dwb

What you read is true.  A Wing Commander can make special appointment promotions to 1st Lt initially, and Capt after one year.

It's an incentive.  Being a squadron commander doesn't come with a lot of perks, and being able to hold the same (or higher) rank as the majority of senior members in your unit is good.  I figure most senior members that spend their time in a squadron (as opposed to higher-echelon activities) are probably 2d Lt or 1st Lt.  That's been the experience in the squadrons I've been in.  Bumping a Commander to 1st Lt helps to make sure not every single senior outranks him.

I think there's also an amount of automatic respect from strangers when a s'member is wearing a higher rank.

But the main reason is as a reward for assuming command.

Besides, it's not like the duty performance requirements for Captain are so stringent that only the best of the best get through...

Eclipse

With respect to the word "can" - all promotions are discretionary, regardless of having met the service and training requirements.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2005, 06:25:01 PM
With respect to the word "can" - all promotions are discretionary, regardless of having met the service and training requirements.

Tell me about it.  :)   I've already completed Level II and my 18 months as a 1st Luey... and well, if you notice my signature, you'll know that promotions are not mandatory. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Bumer - by the same token, a CC shouldn't sit on the request.  Make sure he even realizes you are due.

Beyond that, I guess yo have to wait, though wait too long and I'd start complaining.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2005, 07:05:55 PM
Bumer - by the same token, a CC shouldn't sit on the request.  Make sure he even realizes you are due.

Beyond that, I guess yo have to wait, though wait too long and I'd start complaining.

IIRC... Nobody is sitting on a CAPF 2 in this case.  Mike just doesn't want to be a captain just yet.
Mike Johnston

dwb

Someone in Mike's chain of command (no, not me!) decided he's not ready for Captain yet, so he sits at 1st Lt until the day comes that he is deemed ready.

Pylon

Ah yes, sorry to confuse.   It's not an issue with the CAPF 2 disappearing or anything like that. 

It's a little bit of what Dan & Mike said.  In any case, I am not requesting the promotion to Captain and have not yet requested it.  It's a personal choice.

Regardless, the point was that promotions are neither automatic, nor are they mandatory.    8)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MustangCadet

C/CMSgt Anthony Gallozzi
Mustang Cadet Squadron
RMR-CO-148
HGA White Hat '07

NDCS

Dean Reiter Col CAP
ND/CC ND001