FEMA Online Training??

Started by ISNJH, June 06, 2008, 08:06:03 PM

ISNJH

I was looking in E-Services for what other online training and tests I can take to expand my emergency training and saw they have linked to the FEMA training but when I follow the link and am at the FEMA training site I cant find the option on the site for taking the test as a CAP member.

Anyone else taken these tests and know how I am supposed to register and take the tests as a CAP member?

smitjud

You just work though the course you wish to take and at the end of the exam when you are filling out your personal information, select the appropriate type of agency.  You will be e-mailed a certificate if you pass.

JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

ISNJH

ok that clears it up a little one thing more I was not sure about is the course free or is there a cost?

They're free.

I've already taken 3 of their classes myself and working on my 4th right now.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Hawk200

I've done the basic four required for some ES quals, and will probably do a large number of the related (and semi-related) courses over the next year. There's a few other I'm considering for the Health Care/Medical side of the house. Planning on starting college for Nursing when I get back. Wouldn't hurt to have that knowledge before hand.

wacapgh

When I took them, there was a drop-down box for "Agency" or something similar in the final exam. One of the Options was Civil Air Patrol.

There's no link between systems, you have to enter completion dates manually into e-services. I'm guessing FEMA is using the data for tracking who/what is using the materials.

ISNJH

There is no longer any option for entering CAP

there are only these options

Fema
Local government
Military  (branch)
Other
Private Sector
Tribal

What one should I select?? can someone please let me know ASAP

DADx11

^
Just check "private sector" and make sure you keep a copy of your certificate in your records.
2d Lt, ESO
Grand Canyon Composite Squandron
Wellsboro, Tioga County, PA

Father to 2 cadets and 9 potential (future) ones

ISNJH

Well I have completed and passed the Emergency Manager: An Orientation to the Position course and Radiological Emergency Management, and got my certificates for those two courses by email.

Now seeing what else I should take next, any suggestions on what would be the next course to take to improve my skills for CAP?

Also how to I go about entering into e-services that I have completed these two courses?

isuhawkeye

if you complete the professional development series you will have a certification that is recognized industry wide, and you will have a good understanding of leadership within emergency management

Quote from: DADx11 on June 11, 2008, 09:49:58 PM
^
Just check "private sector" and make sure you keep a copy of your certificate in your records.

I've been told to select "other" because of our unique status.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

ThorntonOL

I took IS-3 Radiological Emergency Managment and IS-200.
For the IS-200, do i have to take another additional course with this from the IS 200 series or is the one label IS 200 fine?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Short Field

IS-200 is fine.  Depending on the Ops Quals you are looking for, you will also need IS-100, 700, & 800.  If you get the chance to take IS-300 and 400, take it.  They are in-residence courses.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

ThorntonOL

Have IS-100 just need to do 700 and 800 then online.
If we can get the 300 and 400 classes locally I'll probably take them.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

mikeylikey

I just want to warn everyone on an integrity issue.

There are answerers to these FEMA courses floating on line.  Google will find them for you.  However, if you choose to cheat and put them in, FEMA may notice your integrity violation because half the test answerers out there are for older versions of the same test. 

The computer will kick back an automated response, and warn you that you are using an outdated test, and your attempt has been logged.  FEMA knows what is being attempted.   

This comes from one of my Cadets, who thought he would be cool and tell me what he did.  Needless to say, he will not be advancing in the Cadet program for some time, and his father (the CAPRAP NCO) and I had a very lengthy conversation with him on integrity. 

Don't try to take the easy way out.  Take the time to take these courses, they really are simple, and do not take very much time. 

Not sure how other SQD's are doing things, but I decided that we will do the courses in a classroom environment, then let everyone take the test on line during meeting hours.  It has worked out, and most everyone in the SQD has 100, 200, 700 and 800 done.  Overall I would say we spent 8 hours total.  Not much time investment for important classes.  Now I just need to get a few members to 300 and 400 and we should be compliant.   
What's up monkeys?

isuhawkeye

So your selling answers to FEMA tests?

I know what I think about this, how about everyone else?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 19, 2008, 01:23:26 AM
I just want to warn everyone on an integrity issue.

Not sure how other SQD's are doing things, but I decided that we will do the courses in a classroom environment, then let everyone take the test on line during meeting hours.  It has worked out, and most everyone in the SQD has 100, 200, 700 and 800 done.  Overall I would say we spent 8 hours total.  Not much time investment for important classes.  Now I just need to get a few members to 300 and 400 and we should be compliant.   

It's painful enough to take these courses on line without inflicting even more pain on the membership by having them sit in a death by power point classes >:D.   Much of what is covere in these "repetitive" courses are of little use to the typical CAP member involved in ES.  Frankly do you really think these courses are that valuable to waste a lot of your meeting time on ???

BTW it isn't your job to be policing what someone does/doesn't do on taking an on line course with another agency doing the testing & certification.    If the member brings in a certificate it is only required that it be looked at and entered into the system.
RM

isuhawkeye

Quoteo you really think these courses are that valuable

Yes I do

heliodoc

I agree with isuhawkeye

From my days as a CD Planning Spec and having to over see training and exercise plans

It's the typical attitude...."FEMA's test area waste of time, they take up too much of MY time or the Squadrons time.....blah blah blah"

Here's on e for ya.......GO ahead don't do 'em, sit at Mission Base with your thumb up your fourth point of contact

CAP like others, want the BIG missions, but YET are there are stragglers who just can not get it through there head JUST TO SPEND THE 30 to 45 minutes and GET THEM DONE

When CAP goes to get a grant from DHS and or FEMA and we get turned down if there is ever a big compliance check on CAP to"SEE" if they are doing the minimum requirements.  Might come a day when Uncle FEMA and DHS come and checks the books ..... and we are STILL lagging behind..get the picture

I had to the compliance checks ahead of FEMA and DHS....Do Not think they are NOT going to check training records...

Once again ....CAP ...an island of their own..stalling and delaying

It really is NOT a project...got my ICS series DONE IN 2004 and ICC300/400 in 2007

real hard to do ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) especially if they are online

CadetProgramGuy

In todays world, unless you have ICS 100, 200, 700, 800 you really can't play in the HLSEM arena.

What I have been coaching my members on lately is this:

1.  We will help you attain 100, 200, 700, 800.  This is the basics of what you need to function as a GTM 1-3 or UDF.  We will do this in squadron time, on a meeting night, w/ computers to take the test.

2. Once you become eligible for GTL or mission management, i will help you enroll in 300 and 400, but not until then.