Look for help

Started by cap_diamond, May 04, 2008, 09:18:26 PM

cap_diamond

Hello, I am c/ Lt Col Diamond Gee from the Puerto Rico Wing. The reason I am posting a messages is to see if one of you would be so kind and help me. I need help getting my Spaatz Award, well not all of it just part of it, I already passed the essay and the PT. But Leadership and Aerospace are hard, and I don't know any other way to study, since I have tried all the possible ways I know hoe. Please if you think you can give me any advice no matter how little it may be I will be very grateful!
thanks,
c/Lt Col Gee

Duke Dillio

I never earned the Spaatz but I did take the test twice.  I passes the leadership and aerospace tests but missed the essay for some reason.

When I studied, I used the same method as I did for the Mitchell.  Study one chapter each night.  When through the book, I started over and did the same.  I did this for about a month before I took the test.

For the leadership, I used the same style of study but mixed it with the aerospace portion.  I also didn't pay all that much attention to about the first three chapters which, at that time, dealt with mostly drill and ceremonies and basic stuff that I thought I had already mastered.

Good luck to you on the exam.  The biggest thing about the test is the desire to get there.  If you have time before you turn 21, take some of it to make sure you don't go three and out.  Again good luck and post on here when you earn your three diamonds.

BlackKnight

The Spaatz Cadets I have talked to suggest going through the leadership and AE chapters and formally "outlining" each chapter or module.  The process of organizing the information in outline form and writing each important fact or topic down helps your brain organize and absorb the information so it will be easier to recall during the test.

I never was a CAP cadet, but I did use this "outlining" technique to get all the way through a masters degree in mechanical engineering.  It works great if you have the time available to prepare the outline.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

sarflyer

C/Lt Col Gee,

Try this link:

http://mdln.hws.edu/cap/modules/index.asp

Tons of review tests and flashcards stuff.

Good luck! ;D
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

LtCol Hooligan

C/Lt Col Lee,
I recommend flash cards/ index cards.  It is going to be very similar to the idea of making an outline, but the flash cards will help you to easily go through the information.  At first, keep the flash cards bundled by chapter.  Once you feel comfortable, shuffle those bad dogs like a deck of cards.  Then start studying again.  Bring those cards where ever you go.  Focus on 30 minutes to an hour a day dedicated to just going through them.  Any free minute you get- break them out.  Sitting on the couch, watching tv, break them out.  Just laid down for bed and can't sleep- break them out.  Focus like you are taking a final for college.

Good luck and way to go already!!
Lt Col Ludlow
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Pingree1492

C/Lt Col Lee-

The method that will work for you really depends upon how you learn best, but since I can't decipher that from your post, I'll give you what worked for me. 

I'm not a flash cards person, but the outline method really helped me out.  Basically what I did was make an outline for all of the chapters of Leadership and Aerospace that I took going through the ranks to study.  I would then add or highlight test questions to that outline after I took each achievement test, and milestone test.  This made for some really good study material.  I'm guessing you didn't have a system like that in mind as you were going through the ranks, but the simple act of making flash cards, or making an outline for each chapter will be a tremendous help to your studying now, as it forces you to review and think about the material.

I used my outlines for about a week of study, then the last half week before the exam I would write out test questions (10 from each chapter, 2 from each "special readings"), and test myself on them the next night.  I also had my testing officer re-test me on the leadership tests and corrected each test from C/2d Lt on up to 100% after taking it.  This helped tremendously.

Remember, the amount of time spent studying doesn't matter so much as how you study.  Ultimately, you have to pick the method that works best for you.  If outlines aren't working, try flash cards.  If flash cards don't work, try writing test questions.

Also, remember that the leadership test isn't just over leadership.  You have to also know your Drill and Ceremonies Manual, CAPR 52-16, and CAPP 52-18.  Don't forget to study those as well (though you should be extremely well versed in them by now).

If you'd like more advice on what and how to study for these tests, I'd suggest checking out the CadetStuff (www.cadetstuff.org) Leadership Forums, there is some excellent material there.  You can also PM me with specific questions if you'd like, I'd be happy to answer what I can.

Good luck with your re-test!

Spaatz #1492
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)