Midwest Earthquake

Started by isuhawkeye, April 18, 2008, 11:49:08 AM

♠SARKID♠

I'm kind of surprised I didn't feel the quakes.  People in Milwaukee (10 minutes away) were woken from their sleep by tremors, while I was awake watching TV and didn't feel a thing.  But then, my village is littered with active quarries so I might be used to shakes/vibrations from all the blasting.

SarDragon

Sunnyvale, CA, 10/18/1989. BTDT, with t-shirt.  :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

So I take it that you guys liked your little "California Wake Up Call". :D

And 5.2 is nothing. It doesn't get interesting until you get a 6.0 or better! :o

SARMedTech

Quote from: nesagsar on April 18, 2008, 12:26:34 PM
I felt it in Peoria, about 170 miles from epicenter. The ground shook very noticeably for about 4 seconds then subsided. The epicenter was too far East to be the New Madrid Fault but still close enough to be alarming in that it could effect the Madrid line.

The USGS has stated that the quake was related to a "branch" of the New Madrid fault and that in fact the quake was a result of seismic action along that particular line.

I live in Northern Illinois, about a half hour south of the Wisconsin border and felt the shaking for about 5-10 seconds. Up here, the quake was originally reported at 4.2 magnitude, then 5.4, and finally it seems they have settled on 5.2
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SARMedTech

Quote from: Whocares on April 18, 2008, 08:25:01 PM
I am surprised at how many people are surprised.  I mean, yes I know it does not happen every day.  The largest earthquake recorded in the US was at the New Madrid Fault in 1812.  So it is only time when the new large earthquake will hit.

I'm not sure this post makes any sense...or at least I can understand it. I'm not sure how we can say definitively that the largest recorded US quake was the New Madrid in 1812 since quake "recording" involves the Richter scale, which I don't believe was around in 1812.

I went to college in Wisconsin. There was a church just around the corner from where my alma mater now stands that had its bell tossed out of the steeple by the 1812 quake. But as I say, I don't know how we can say that it was the largest US recorded quake. I would be interested if anyone else has "recorded" info on that event.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

♠SARKID♠

The Richter Scale didn't exist until 1935.  However, I'm willing to bet that they extrapolated the magnitude from 1812 data and reports.  There might not have been a Richter Scale, but seismometers have been around for over a millennium.

SarDragon

Quote from: SARMedTech on April 19, 2008, 06:43:39 AM
Quote from: Whocares on April 18, 2008, 08:25:01 PM
I am surprised at how many people are surprised.  I mean, yes I know it does not happen every day.  The largest earthquake recorded in the US was at the New Madrid Fault in 1812.  So it is only time when the new large earthquake will hit.

I'm not sure this post makes any sense...or at least I can understand it. I'm not sure how we can say definitively that the largest recorded US quake was the New Madrid in 1812 since quake "recording" involves the Richter scale, which I don't believe was around in 1812.

I went to college in Wisconsin. There was a church just around the corner from where my alma mater now stands that had its bell tossed out of the steeple by the 1812 quake. But as I say, I don't know how we can say that it was the largest US recorded quake. I would be interested if anyone else has "recorded" info on that event.

The Richter scale is based partly on the amount and type of damage caused. Comparisons have been made between more modern quakes, and the documentation of the damage from the 1812 New Madrid and 1906 SF quakes to assign an estimated Richter number to them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARMedTech

Yes it makes more sense now that I have been reading up more on the Richter scale and the New Madrid fault.

Thanks.
"Corpsman Up!"

Hoser

The Richter Scale is based on the magnitude of the seismograph deflection. The Modified Mercalli Scale is based on the type extent of damage

CadetProgramGuy

In Des Moines, we had reports of floor shaking at the local hospital on the upper levels.

SAR-EMT1

There was an aftershock last night. No damage. Most folks didnt even notice it.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

PHall

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 22, 2008, 08:51:36 PM

Get used to it, you'll have those for several weeks. Don't be surprised if you get a 3+ "tickler" just to keep you interested.

SARMedTech

Quote from: PHall on April 23, 2008, 02:23:30 AM

Get used to it, you'll have those for several weeks. Don't be surprised if you get a 3+ "tickler" just to keep you interested.

One of our most recent after-shocks, which I believe occurred over the weekend, was a 4.2...probably still not felt by much more than farm animals and house pets.
"Corpsman Up!"

davidsinn

Quote from: SARMedTech on April 23, 2008, 03:26:09 AM
Quote from: PHall on April 23, 2008, 02:23:30 AM

One of our most recent after-shocks, which I believe occurred over the weekend, was a 4.2...probably still not felt by much more than farm animals and house pets.

I felt the 10:15L 4.2 from 250 miles NNE of the epicenter.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

KyCAP

In Kentucky there is a very strong core group of CAP members that have worked for the past 5 years with the Ky Army and Air National Guard on week long exercises wrapped around the New Madrid Fault earthquake.   This allows the entire wing to be able to participate regularly in these exercises.   We are completely integrated into the response and the relationship building for CAP around this event is immeasureable for our working relationship at the State level, not to mention the reinforcement of our CD missions.

The level of planning that has been completed by the National Guard around this is astounding.

I have had very little interaction with other wings on this, but there is a CAP working group out there.

Here is a projection of the quake without geological "pushback".   This projection is used all over this place.   The New Madrid information can be found even in Wikipedia for a quick snap shot. 

I believe the diagram on the left is the Mira Loma quake in the 90's being represented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

SARMedTech

Quote from: kycap on April 27, 2008, 04:09:52 PM
In Kentucky there is a very strong core group of CAP members that have worked for the past 5 years with the Ky Army and Air National Guard on week long exercises wrapped around the New Madrid Fault earthquake.   This allows the entire wing to be able to participate regularly in these exercises.   We are completely integrated into the response and the relationship building for CAP around this event is immeasureable for our working relationship at the State level, not to mention the reinforcement of our CD missions.

The level of planning that has been completed by the National Guard around this is astounding.

I have had very little interaction with other wings on this, but there is a CAP working group out there.

Here is a projection of the quake without geological "pushback".   This projection is used all over this place.   The New Madrid information can be found even in Wikipedia for a quick snap shot. 

I believe the diagram on the left is the Mira Loma quake in the 90's being represented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

Capt. Hensley-

there has been a lot of talk on this forum about the recent Midwest quake and the New Madrid fault, but I was very happy to see what you have posted here and also the information you shared about how hard your Wing is working for interoperability with state and federal agencies. This is going to be the lifeline when the major New Madrid quake hits, which I learned at a Domestic Preparedness training weekend, is predicted by the USGS to occur in the next 7-10 years and be in excess of 8.0. This is going to be an all hands on deck, all hazard response, so Bravo Zulu to KYWG for working so hard.

I am anxiously awaiting the training schedule for the state disaster team with which I operate here in IL (IMERT) to be published for our summer and fall MCI response drills. I have a hunch, though details are kept close to the vest by the command team until drill details are ironed out, that since we have had a quake on the fault very recently, that we will be incorporating that into our work with the Nat'l Guard, ANG and at our last big training session there was talk about trying to establish interoperability with ILWG of CAP. I am also an EMT on my county's MRC, so I would anticipate that there will be some training and education involved with that organization as well.

Thanks for your information. Its good to know that Kentucky answered the fire bell in the night by way of starting what sound like some pretty intense preparations. While I hope that we do not have to work together, I feel very confident about our abilities to do so if it becomes necessary. Good luck with your future trainings, stay safe and lets all work very hard to keep our fellow citizens safe when this thing hits.
"Corpsman Up!"

KyCAP

Thank you for the positive comments.   Ky Wing has a hard working group of volunteers that spend one week of their work vacations on this event each year for our KY Command post and dozens of volunteers that plug into this week as they can.

For the last two years we have been integrated into JFACC and JFLCC by the Guards exercise.   It's a large exercise that even included a C-130 transport flight to forward bases. 

Some of our working group members in Ky are now looking and "synchronizing" our terminology even closer to the National Guards for "interoperability".   For example, in CAP we call it an OPS Plan.  In their terms it is an operations order.   The communcations section is referred to as (J6).  We are proposing the intergration of these terms into the OPS plan to reduce confusion and as a training effort expose our members to this in case they are in the environment.

Additionally, we are reviewing including pertinent "rapid" requirements information for this into the aircraft information manuals in section 13 (Local Information), vehicle binders, issue to Squadron CC and Incident Commanders.   

This also is related to the comments I have over in the GIS thread about Delorme products.

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing