Tracking Ground Teams

Started by RiverAux, March 30, 2008, 04:25:52 PM

RiverAux

I have a question for you Ground Branch Directors out there ---  How do you track (in a permanent fashion -- not whiteboards) your ground teams while they are in the field.  For aircrews we use the CAPF-107 for this purpose, but there is no ground team equivalent that I am aware of.  Obviously one option is to just use the 107 to track your ground teams and scratch out some of the aircrew stuff.

Of course, with ground teams you usually only have a few out at any one time rather than the dozens of sorties typical of even a medium-sized SAREX or exercise, but I do think it would be nice to have a form where you would have all the info for all your teams immediately visible rather than scattered among the 109s and whatever sort of log you keep. 

You would think that after over 60 years we would have something like this. 

JohnKachenmeister

Another former CAP officer

isuhawkeye

The 109 is the CAP form. 

However if you are interested in learning more.  check out these forms

Some of the best resources in the industry

http://basarc.org/site/?q=node/10

RiverAux

Well, actually the 109 isn't intended for tracking GTs while in the field.  It is just the GT equivalent of the CAPF104 that aircrews complete that says who is there, what equipment they've got, and what they're going to do.

The 107 puts all the basic information about the air sorties on one sheet of paper that you can use to keep track of who is out, where they're going, when they're expected back, when they got back, etc. 

JohnKachenmeister

Historically, we have put up more airplanes than GT's.  In the pre-ELT days 30-50 aircraft on a mission was not uncommon.

I've never had a problem tracking 3-4 GT's even on big exercises.

As a company commander I would put out multiple patrols, and I didn't have a form to track them.
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

I wouldn't disagree with that, but we're operating in a little bit different environment in CAP lately.  The safety above all mindset hasn't quite penetrated the real military like it has CAP.

AF mission evaluations in recent years have concentrated pretty hard on resource tracking in regards to knowing exactly where everything is and when they last checked in.  Having a single form with this information on it would seem to be helpful in avoiding dings in this area and would actually be somewhat efficient. 

jeders

I can't speak from experience, having just started GBD training, but some OPS PLANS that I've seen say to use a 107 modified for GT use. Haven't seen the actual form, but that's a way to track things.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Status boards indicate near-time generalized locations and operations.

Role-call check-ins have ground teams relaying location in general terms or long/lat depending on mission requirments, terrain, etc.

I use Garmin Mapsource waypoints to create a printable map of location, movement, and use route markers in conjuction with waypoints to indicate ELT bearings (to assist with global coordination of multiple teams.

The graphics generated are included in the mission packets, and any status updates the PSC/OSC or IC may want to see. 

Click: http://group22.net/files/other/Ground_Sorties.jpg

Any more micro-location than a 30-minute check-in would be dictated by safety issues, and could then be done with an aircraft tailing the team as "eyes-on".

Google Earth can be used in a simliar way, and can be pre-configured for local, no-internet use, however I found the interface less easy to use, but that could be my own learning curve.

I will also, generally, indicate aircraft and other search assets on the same maps, if I have that info, to give myself a better overall SA.  I don't consider this optional if the mission includes A/G ops, and in that case I request position info from the AOBD.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

We just use a white board version of the 107 there.

We don't need a permanent record of the on going mission status of the ground team....so we just use the white board.

I track the location of my teams as they check in on a hard map at this time...because I just got a mapping program and do not know all the neat tricks of it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

cap235629

Funny thing you should ask.  I just completed my GBD and asked this very question.  There IS NOT a CAP form for this.  As such the Wing King decreed that we will use ICS Form 214-1 from FEMA until a form can be produced either at a wing or national level.  All documents become a legal record of the mission and there is a definite need for an accurate description of all movements and instructions given to the ground teams.  Everything needs to be put in the mission file
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

How are you going to track ground teams on a unit log form?

Info is going to be very sparse, to say the least.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

None of the current ICS forms on the page linked from the NHQ OPS page are appropriate, either for tracking aircrews or ground teams.  At least for the aircrews, our form is far superior. 

cap235629

you log everything chronologically

2201z GT1 moved to staging base at Pomona Fire station

think like a comm log
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RiverAux

Yes, you do need a unit log such as that to document chronological information.  But, what I was asking about was a document that would show you all that info at a glance. 

isuhawkeye

RickFranz

Seeing where a ground team has been when it get back is a good tool to see if they have covered the right area.  But is there some way of seeing where they are in real time?  I know a while back there was a radio and gps together they would send back that info, but with all the changes in radio gear I have not heard any thing about it for awhile.

I know some of the Wings that I have been in have been dinged at a SAR Eval for not know where all their assets are at any given time.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

RickFranz

Yes that is what I'm talking about.  Is there a way we can do that with CAP equipment?
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

isuhawkeye

aprs doesn't care who uses it.  you simply need a compliant radio and the appropriate frequency.

SARMedTech

Another good idea might be the PASSPORT system or a variation of it used in the fire service. Basically, you get several velcro and plastic tags that are affixed to your uniform or gear. When you are assigned at the staging area, the IC takes one of your tags, puts it on the appropriate place on the assignment designation board and when you return, you are either done and given back your tag or your tag is moved on to your next assignment. This is a very ICS based system and though I got knocked out of the fire academy by the rehab team due to a knee injury, I saw it work very well, even in drills where we were doing nothing but throwing water.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."