Hawk Mountain Ranger

Started by FL169ESO, September 27, 2005, 01:55:55 AM

Nathan

Wow.

You know, you guys always yelled at ME for getting into fights with Hawk grads... and now look...

Peh. Hypocrites. ;)
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Pace

What happens at CS stays at CS.  ;)
Lt Col, CAP

ThorntonOL

How far is Hawk Mountain from Eagle State Park?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

FW

Bald Eagle State Park is about 150 driving miles west Hawk Mt.

ThorntonOL

Thanks, I was wondering as I have visited Bald Eagle but not for CAP training, I was there for 4-H Forestry training.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

floridacyclist

Did you take the training from rangers? See? Maybe you are more on topic than I would have thought reading this thread!

Seriously, my kids and I have made it to Wisconsin from NYC on our cross-country bike ride and are currently attending NBB. Details in our blog, photos to come when the PAO says I can.

Let's see, if I really cared about the blingage, I could wear my blue beret on my head, my ranger tab over my pocket.....and a choice of patches on my shirt pocket:Comm, Inland SAR Planning Course, SARTECH.

Then again at this stage, it would probably be more fun to simply wear the bare minimum of patches as required by the regs and let folks wonder.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

mikeylikey

Quote from: floridacyclist on July 26, 2008, 03:41:59 AM
Seriously, my kids and I have made it to Wisconsin from NYC on our cross-country bike ride and are currently attending NBB. Details in our blog, photos to come when the PAO says I can.

Your not exhausted??

Way to go Gene!   :clap:
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: floridacyclist on July 26, 2008, 03:41:59 AM

I'll be a short shot south working Fon Du Lac.  If I can squeeze some time in to get up to Oshkosh, maybe I'll see you!

John Bryan

Note...before I start I have never been to NBB, Hawk or NESA....I have worked with members who have been to all 3.

Does NBB, Hawk, and NESA offer good training and sometimes get members their 101 ratings in things like GTM and such. YES, and they should.

Is going to NBB, Hawk and or NESA good - YES

Is one better than the other - no way to ever answer that question, there is no right or wrong answer - like asking which is better football or baseball.....depends.

Does going to NBB, Hawk or NESA  make you better then those only trained by their wings/units - Not based on what I have seen. Some of their grads are great and others suck....some members trained locally are great and some suck.

Does NBB, Hawk or NESA make you a "Super ES god".....no......no one or two week summer camp will ever replace real world experience. Even professionals in ES go beyond "school" before they are considered experts. For example a cop just out of the police academy still has an FTO period and years of learning before they are experts. Anyone who thinks they are ready for anything after a week long summer camp in PA , WI or IN needs more training.

Are there a lot of Hawk haters on this group.....HECK YES...which is sad, because it is a great school.....I have sent many a shy young cadet to Hawk to have them come back more confident and a stronger young person than when they left. They come back better leaders....if anything what I have seen of most Hawk grads is they come back not only having learned ES but leadership and team work.

mikeylikey

Quote from: John Bryan on July 31, 2008, 09:44:30 PM
Are there a lot of Hawk haters on this group.....HECK YES...which is sad, because it is a great school.....I have sent many a shy young cadet to Hawk to have them come back more confident and a stronger young person than when they left. They come back better leaders....if anything what I have seen of most Hawk grads is they come back not only having learned ES but leadership and team work.

Until you actually attend Hawk.....which some HAWK haters here have, you can only bounce opinion.  To say 10 days changes Cadets into awesome and better leaders, well thats not the point or purpose of Hawk, no leadership curriculum is presented, it is one big camping and hiking trip. Spacing - MIKE  
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Zombie thread.... Argh RANGERs!
Mike Johnston