Physical Fitness Help

Started by Pingree1492, February 26, 2008, 07:46:22 PM

Pingree1492

There are probably a lot of other squadrons out there who are currently dealing with cadets not being able to pass their Cadet Physical Fitness Test (CPFT).  It seems that more and more cadets come into the program not physically fit, and with no real concept or idea of how to become that way. 

Unfortunately, we can only devote one meeting per month to Physical Fitness- our CPFT night.  We'll normally conduct the CPFT, and then use whatever time is remaining to play some sort of sport/activity that is designed to let the cadets have fun and get a workout at the same time.  But for our struggling cadets, that seems to be the only real workout they will get for the entire month!

So, what I'm asking is does anyone have any programs, etc in place that help cadets get to at least the basic fitness level required of them for their gender/age/grade? 

We have a few ideas in the pot right now, but nothing that is a proven/tested technique, so any input is welcome!
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

jeders

We don't usually have this problem in my squadron, but when we do the DCC will try and contact the parents and tell them what we expect out of the cadets physically so that they can help motivate there child. I have also in the past offered to go running and workout with cadets outside of CAP to help them get into shape.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Pylon

We have several things directed to target this.  Each week on which we hold PT or the CPFT, two cadets make a 5-minute presentation on a health/fitness/wellness related topic of their choosing.  The cadets are chosen a week or two in advance, and can use handouts, projector, notes or just speak freely on their topic.   Cadets have, in the past, covered topics including obesity, eating disorders, steroid use, and fitness techniques.

The cadets benefit both from increased knowledge on appropriate health and fitness topics, but they also gain public speaking experience in the process.

We also use a local form to assist cadets who are regularly failing to meet their CPFT standards.  We show them where they are, and where they need to be to pass.  We then make a plan based on that comparison to help them get there.  The cadet signs it, along with the recommending senior member, and it goes into the file for review at the next CPFT.  The form is attached for your reference.

The leadership officer should be the point person on this, since the Physical Fitness component of the Cadet Program is a responsibility of the L.O.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jimmydeanno

In my old squadron we had the same problem.  What we started doing was PT oriented weekend activities.  They'd be something like a squadron touch football day, or something along those lines.  We did 2 a month at one point.

The routine usually involved a "warm-up" period which incidentally included some push-ups, sit-ups and stretching. 

The other thing that helped my squadron WIWAC was drill team practice.  If it is once or twice per week, involving PT into the practice helps since the mile is one of the events anyway.

My current squadron doesn't really have a PT issue.  We had a few cadets who started out slow but have come up to speed. 

The girls in the squadron think it is unfair that the guys have to maintain higher standards.  They think it de-legitimizes their awards because for them to earn the Spaatz they need a mile run time that a Curry male needs.

Good luck with the results, in the end though the only one that can really affect their own fitness levels are the cadet themselves.  If they are really truly interested in passing that test they will be open to the advice given and put in the time needed.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Michael

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 26, 2008, 08:42:53 PM
In my old squadron we had the same problem.  What we started doing was PT oriented weekend activities.  They'd be something like a squadron touch football day, or something along those lines.  We did 2 a month at one point.

The routine usually involved a "warm-up" period which incidentally included some push-ups, sit-ups and stretching. 

The other thing that helped my squadron WIWAC was drill team practice.  If it is once or twice per week, involving PT into the practice helps since the mile is one of the events anyway.

My current squadron doesn't really have a PT issue.  We had a few cadets who started out slow but have come up to speed. 

The girls in the squadron think it is unfair that the guys have to maintain higher standards.  They think it de-legitimizes their awards because for them to earn the Spaatz they need a mile run time that a Curry male needs.

Good luck with the results, in the end though the only one that can really affect their own fitness levels are the cadet themselves.  If they are really truly interested in passing that test they will be open to the advice given and put in the time needed.

Our squadron does the same thing.  I try to run workouts that cadets can do themselves at home and that are designed to increase results in the CPFT.  Pushups, situps, mountain climbers etc.  Consistency and recovery is really the key, however. 

You can do a 15 mile run, but you won't get any faster if you don't rest afterwards and follow up the weeks after with more running.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

gistek

I had to deal with the same issue when I was DCC. Here's how i handled it:

We had a PT night once every month. All of the Cadets were encouraged to participate, whether or not they were up for promotion that month.

Cadet Airmen (any rank below C/SSgt) had the option to request ONE DCC's Exception. This exception was granted if and only if the cadet showed improvement in all areas of PT.

This policy recognizes that it might take some people more than two months to get into shape. It also required the cadet spend time outside of the CAP meetings to improve thair fitness level.

I also permitted any cadet airman or sergeant the same exeption if they were medically restricted for more than 60 days. This permitted cadets that had recovered from surgery or injury the time to rebuild their physical fittness back up to the CAP requirements without having to delay earned promotions.

The key points are, the cadet MUST:
be in good standing,
have completed all other requirements for their next promotion,
show improvement in all PT areas tested, and
have not been previously granted an exception

This policy does require record keeping of PT scores (rather than just Pass/Fail) so that improvement can be verified.

This policy helped that CAP squadron retain several very good cadets who otherwise might have become discouraged due to newer cadets gaining rank faster. Since it was only available ONCE (almost always for the Curry), it didn't have any negative effect on the squadron's overall fitness level.

I did have several cadets that decided not to request the exception for their Curry, but opted to try one more time to pass. Only one requested the exception for a later promotion. This cadet had difficulty with the mile run during two summer PT meetings after passing the PT during the winter and spring months.

When I came up with this idea, I presented it to my Squadron commander. With her approval, I then presented it to the unit's Cadet Staff, and asked them to consider the potential that some cadets might feel resentment that cadets receiving the exception were "Getting off easy."

As leaders of the cadet program, we are challenged to find ways to encourage our young people to continue to participate in our program while maintaining the overall quality of the program.

jimmydeanno

^So the exception "waived" the PT requirement for a particular promotion?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

gistek

Basically, but it was only granted to cadets that were making progress toward fitness.

If I hadn't, several cadets would have dropped out of the program.

CAPR 52-16, 1-10(a) permits a unit commander to assign new cadets a physical fitness catagory when they join. 1-10(c) lists obesity and illness as permitted criteria for changing a cadet's fitness catagory.

This waiver was never permitted for any milestone award and, although it was available to cadets in Phase II, non ever requested it. The cadet that turned it down for his Curry was working toward his C/SrA. Due to a series of minor illnesses that prevented him from participating fully in activities for a few months that year, he was delayed in qualifying due to missing one of the previous PT testing meetings and failing the test the month before. He requested the waiver only after being unable to pass either of the runs. Since his scores for the runs had improved between the two meetings, I granted the waiver.