If you could include anyone....

Started by jimmydeanno, February 22, 2008, 01:41:54 PM

jimmydeanno

Reading the new cadet leadership volume got me thinking about all the various people that are featured.  There is a well balanced mix of military leaders and civilian leaders or highly influential people.  So I was thinking that if I were in charge, who would I try to feature in the upcoming volumes.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

1) Steven Hawking
2) Lance Armstrong
3) Thomas Jefferson
4) Christa McAuliffe
5) Lance P. Sijan
6) Mother Teresa
7) Brigadier General Robin Olds
8) Eleanor Roosevelt

Who would you guys include?

Disabled smileys - MIKE
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

Lance is in there already....or at least his picture is.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ZigZag911

Winston Churchill, George Marshall, Lech Walesa

flyerthom

Maximilian Kolbe - demonstrates the willingnesses to sacrifice all for others. A fine example for CAP Chaplains  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_Kolbe

Sergeant First Class Paul Ray Smith, US Army First Medal of Honor Iraqi Freedom.

Pat Tillman, walked away from NFL bucks to fight in Afghanistan.

Ordinary people who stepped up and led when it mattered.

TC

CAP006

CAP 006 = one away from the Big Shot

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

BlackKnight

They put Yoda in Chapter 3. 

Hard it is to find one more worthy.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

BlackKnight

Seriously, conspicuous by his absence is Robert E. Lee.  Lee's lifelong leadership example and commitment to duty and God is eclipsed in American culture only by George Washington. Washington is given a small sidebar mention on page 87 - along with Harriet Tubman and Alfred Hitchcock.  By contrast, Superman and Anne Sullivan get nearly a full page each. Winston Churchill gets two pages- perhaps deservedly so since he held Britain steadfast and alone against the Axis powers for nearly two years before the US entered WWII.  Also curious is not a single business leader has been included. No Henry Fords, no Bill Gates, no Carnegie, Westinghouse, or Edison.

And why delete the biography blurb on Mary Feik?  She still spends a portion of every day sending out personally signed certificates on request to every cadet who has earned the Feik achievement.

The new text has a very "diverse" mixture of leadership examples.  I don't particularly object to any of the choices, and I can find value in each selection, but I look at the group as a whole and realize how much our definition of what constitutes a leader has changed since I was a boy.  This group is very "PC".  It will be interesting to see whether the new examples will stand the test of time.   

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

jimmydeanno

There are still 13 chapters to go.  Maybe some of those people are on the list for later on because their 'accomplishments and influence' pertain to the lessons later on better than what is being taught now...I'm sure that someone will look at this list and think about each person.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CAP006

Quote from: BlackKnight on March 02, 2008, 05:57:20 AM
Seriously, conspicuous by his absence is Robert E. Lee.  Lee's lifelong leadership example and commitment to duty and God is eclipsed in American culture only by George Washington. Washington is given a small sidebar mention on page 87 - along with Harriet Tubman and Alfred Hitchcock.  By contrast, Superman and Anne Sullivan get nearly a full page each. Winston Churchill gets two pages- perhaps deservedly so since he held Britain steadfast and alone against the Axis powers for nearly two years before the US entered WWII.  Also curious is not a single business leader has been included. No Henry Fords, no Bill Gates, no Carnegie, Westinghouse, or Edison.

And why delete the biography blurb on Mary Feik?  She still spends a portion of every day sending out personally signed certificates on request to every cadet who has earned the Feik achievement.

The new text has a very "diverse" mixture of leadership examples.  I don't particularly object to any of the choices, and I can find value in each selection, but I look at the group as a whole and realize how much our definition of what constitutes a leader has changed since I was a boy.  This group is very "PC".  It will be interesting to see whether the new examples will stand the test of time.   

I agree fully on that.
CAP 006 = one away from the Big Shot

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

Capt Rivera

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron