Wing DCP

Started by davidsinn, February 19, 2008, 05:16:43 PM

davidsinn

What does a Wing Dir. of Cadet Programs do? I've read 20-1 but that does not really tell me what the job entails. A friend of mind was asked to take the job but turned it down. I'm just trying to find out what the job really is.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

dwb

Oversight and/or direction of all the Wing-level CP stuff: encampment, cadet competition, NCSA/IACE ranking, cadet of the year selection, CAC, cadet leadership schools, etc.  Also serves as an advisor to the Wing Commander on cadet programs issues.

jimmydeanno

advisor to squadron level CP officers/DCCs - squadron visits.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

kpetersen

Deals with region on what the wing needs or suggests for activities, and where necessary, hosts region activities.  Along with helping squadrons, they keep an eye out for when a squadron may (or is) having issues.  Another place you may want to look is in the CI guide for the wing, under cadet programs because that's where the wing DCPs get evaluated.  They also (or should) work with other wing DCPs for coordination where it's necessary--such as where one wing HQ may be closer to squadrons than that wings HQ.
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

I don't think quoting the same text is going to help.

The real answer is "Whatever the Wing CC feels is important in regards to the CP". And with that said, unless
your Wing CC can be specific about goals and ideas, taking the job is a minefield, because any "oversight" or "input" yo try to have in the activities mentioned above will likely be met as intrusion by the local commanders unless they see it a part of a larger plan.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

PM with your email for a copy of the DCP SmartBook published by NHQ that describes the role of the wing DCP in some detail.

Ned Lee
DCP, PCR

TankerT

Also, another great place to look is the Wing Compliance Inspection guide.  It has the list of questions/items that a DCP is inspected on by NHQ and CAP-USAF during the inspection.

/Edit: Ooppss... I see someone else already mentioned this... doh!

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

kpetersen

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2008, 06:07:31 PM
The real answer is "Whatever the Wing CC feels is important in regards to the CP". And with that said, unless your Wing CC can be specific about goals and ideas, taking the job is a minefield, because any "oversight" or "input" yo try to have in the activities mentioned above will likely be met as intrusion by the local commanders unless they see it a part of a larger plan.

There's a few ways to get around seeming like you're intruding.  First, if you go and visit the squadrons (outside of the SUI), don't tell them you're inspecting them, or evaluating them.  Tell them you've heard good things about how their squadron operates (X and Y specifics help), and that you'd like to see it so that way you can use some of the information to help out other squadrons.  You can also host wing activities in areas near them and invite them.  Also, if you ask the squadron commanders what they would like to see wing do, they have more of an input.  Just always be positive towards them and make gentle, gradual changes, like you would do as a new member in a squadron.  "Hey, I saw this squadron doing this and it seemed like it did really well".
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP

TankerT

Here's my 2 cents... (was an assistant DCP for 3 years... and a DCP for 4 years... and got 2 "Outstandings" on the CI...)

In essence, I always suggest a potential DCP read the CI guide.  Why?  Because it shows what work product you should be able to produce as a DCP.  Not just for the CI, but at any time.

DCP is often thought of as a Deputy Commander for Cadets at the Wing Level.  But, it really is far from it.  You have no actual authority over units, as you are a staff member, and not in the chain of command.

A DCP will, for the most part, spend their time on correspondence (be it telephone or e-mail) or doing various administrative tasks.  The job is heavily administrative, and does have some project management aspects to it.

Most Wing CCs will encourage you to visit Squadrons.  I have a different take than mentioned here on the approach though.  I am polite, but blunt.  One thing to avoid is to tell a unit HOW to run their program.  This is different than telling them areas they are deficient in.  I.E. they don't fill out their CAPF 52-1's for promotion... etc... Pointing out the need to do certain paperwork isn't the same as telling them they need to do XYZ activities.  Most units don't appreciate it if you come by and make suggestions if not asked. 

However, almost every unit visit I made as a DCP, I didn't have to bring much up.  I would be asked questions which would generate an avenue for suggestions in some areas.  (And, always be prepared with options.  Not just one way to do something...) 

And, know your audience.  Hopefully, if you are being approached to be a DCP, you have met many of the DCFCs and CCs in the Wing.  When being honest/blunt about feedback when it comes to regulatory compliance, knowing the people will help you in how you phrase something.  Delivery can make the difference between you being perceived as a meddlesome evil dork from wing or being perceived as a helpful staff officer making a visit. 

And, since there is always a shortage of help, you'll end up helping staff different events whether you run them or not.

But, again... a strong word of caution.  This is an administratively focused position.  You'll spend more time doing paperwork/meetings/e-mails than you will working with cadets.  This job isn't as "cool" as it sounds.  The outcome of your efforts are not as immediately apparent as they are when  you are at the unit level.  But, the benefit of your efforts can be on a much larger scale

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

John Bryan

Quote from: davidsinn on February 19, 2008, 05:16:43 PM
What does a Wing Dir. of Cadet Programs do? I've read 20-1 but that does not really tell me what the job entails. A friend of mind was asked to take the job but turned it down. I'm just trying to find out what the job really is.

Dave,

You going to apply? Our poor wing has been without one for so long. I think you'd be great.

John

CadetProgramGuy

Being the former DCP for Iowa (Not going into that discussion), My job was to run into the side of Large Buildings at full speed and stop that run with the Frontal Occipital Region of my Head......