Myths and Ledgends

Started by SSgt Rudin, January 25, 2008, 04:17:48 AM

SSgt Rudin

I am helping out with a Myths and Legends "class" at wing conference, the cadets are "supposed" to send in their questions ahead of time so we have time to find the answer, but we all know how often that happens. I went on Cadet Stuff Wiki and printed off the "Drill Myths" page, but couldn't find a general myths page, I also searched for a topic on myths and found a bunch of separate discussions on specific myths but couldn't find one that consolidated them. If there is one and I overlooked it I would appreciate a link, if not Please post your favorite CAP myths (aside from drill)  here. If you know the correct answer (referenced to a CAPM, CAPP, or CAPR not "thats how we always did it") that would be appreciated as well, but if not I will research it my self.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

_

IceNine

Was that on some hidden layer?

It used to be linked from the CP Page...
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

_

I had seen it on the site several years ago.  I remembered one of the topics so I Googled the topic and cap.gov and got the site.  It really should be made a lot easier to find.  I still hear these things from time to time.

Maj Ballard

I taught that class at Florida Wing Conference a few years ago.  PM me your email address and I will send you the PowerPoint from it.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Gunner C

I wish there was a page for myths and legends for officers.  CAP is rife with them.  I've been to so many CAP activities where people, thinking they're doing the right thing, seem absolutely weird in their courtesies. 

I saw one of them on that "Myths and Legends" page: the word "sirs".  The correct plural of "sir" is "gentlemen", "ladies", or a combination (depending on the sexes of the group).  I honestly believe that the word "sirs" originated on MASH, used comically by Cpl Radar O'Reilly.  I'd never heard it used by anyone before that.

Also, CAP referring to a hat as a cover.  The Navy and Marine Corps have covers, the Army and Air Force have hats.  Refer to it as such.

I honestly believe that there's too many people in CAP who get their C&C from Hollywood.  Example:  "Would the colonel like some coffee?"  In the RM, that would be considered kinda rude.  The correct question would be "Would you like some coffee, sir?"  That stupid Hollywood third person is never used in the RM but you see it all the time in CAP.  (Disclaimer:  I'm only talking about Air Force/CAP customs.  If you're a Marine, YMMV. Remember, I wear a hat.  ;D)

GC

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Gunner C on January 25, 2008, 01:05:30 PM
That stupid Hollywood third person is never used in the RM but you see it all the time in CAP. 

"Sir, this cadet would like to make a statement, Sir!"

"What is it cadet?"

"Sir, this cadet believes that this cadet would be better equipped to handle the Colonel's test if this cadet had more time to study this cadet's material, Sir!"

Stuff like that drives me crazy too...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 25, 2008, 01:16:50 PM
That stupid Hollywood third person is never used in the RM but you see it all the time in CAP. 

"Sir, this cadet would like to make a statement, Sir!"

"What is it cadet?"

"Sir, this cadet believes that this cadet would be better equipped to handle the Colonel's test if this cadet had more time to study this cadet's material, Sir!"

Stuff like that drives me crazy too...
I see a ton of new cadets do that, the third person and the sir sandwiches, which really annoy me...

As far as myths, I can't really think of any outside of Drill and C&C...

brasda91

Also, CAP referring to a hat as a cover.  The Navy and Marine Corps have covers, the Army and Air Force have hats.  Refer to it as such.

Let's not get started on this again.  ;)
Even when I was in army basic, it was called a "cover".  It's just old terminology that carries over from the military.  If everyone would follow 39-1, everyone would call it the BDU cap.  You can't be wrong if you follow 39-1.  ;D
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

DC

Quote from: brasda91 on January 27, 2008, 01:38:04 PM

Even when I was in army basic, it was called a "cover".  It's just old terminology that carries over from the military.  If everyone would follow 39-1, everyone would call it the BDU cap.  You can't be wrong if you follow 39-1.  ;D
Is there any regulation or publication to support cover vs hat? My mother was in the Army NG and they called them covers.. One of my friends (and a former cadet) is AD Army, she calls it a cover.. Another one fo my friends is in AFROTC, they call them covers... I have never met an experienced CAP Cadet that refered to their headgear as a hat...

brasda91

Quote from: Delta Charlie on January 27, 2008, 07:51:22 PM
Quote from: brasda91 on January 27, 2008, 01:38:04 PM

Is there any regulation or publication to support cover vs hat? My mother was in the Army NG and they called them covers.. One of my friends (and a former cadet) is AD Army, she calls it a cover.. Another one fo my friends is in AFROTC, they call them covers... I have never met an experienced CAP Cadet that refered to their headgear as a hat...

If you look at 39-1 where the different types of headgear are shown, you will see that they are called a "cap".  Look at the tag inside your BDU cap, it probably says "Cap, BDU".  Might even throw in "Hot weather" in there at the end.

Personally, I don't care what they're called.  I know what you mean either way.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

RiverAux

Does the Army uniform manual say "cover"?  Probably not.  We were all wearing the same BDU hat with the same tag inside it (well, we were).  Just a tradition. 

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Gunner C on January 25, 2008, 01:05:30 PMI honestly believe that there's too many people in CAP who get their C&C from Hollywood.  Example:  "Would the colonel like some coffee?"  In the RM, that would be considered kinda rude.  The correct question would be "Would you like some coffee, sir?"  That stupid Hollywood third person is never used in the RM but you see it all the time in CAP. 

The Germans still use that stilted third-person form of address for military personnel, as far as I know. (Only WWII exception: Waffen-SS almost never used 'Herr [grade]' to address their own officers and NCOs.) It was also used in the US pre-WWII but eventually fell into disuse. Only time you see such form of address these days is in Marine boot camp.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

afgeo4

They are BDU CAPS, FLIGHT CAPS, SERVICE CAPS, WATCH CAPS, etc. not covers or hats. In fact, hats are for civilians and any military TI will gladly remind you of it. A "cover" is a general term used in the military to describe all kinds of head coverings (there are oh so many kinds). It isn't a degrading or unprofessional term, so I see no reason to fight against the tide to stop people from saying it.

However, the proper, official, and regulatory term is cap.
GEORGE LURYE

SarDragon

And I think, at this point, that you are trying to pick fly poop out of pepper.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

afgeo4

Quote from: SarDragon on January 28, 2008, 03:57:25 AM

YMMV.
Yeah... not sure of how things are/were in the Navy, but in the Air Force we've always tried to steer clear of eating "fly poop".
GEORGE LURYE

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 28, 2008, 04:00:18 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 28, 2008, 03:57:25 AM

YMMV.
Yeah... not sure of how things are/were in the Navy, but in the Air Force we've always tried to steer clear of eating "fly poop".

Sometimes, salt, pepper and ketchup just aren't enough. It's amazing how badly some one can screw up chicken... the poop would be an improvement.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 28, 2008, 03:43:09 AM
They are BDU CAPS, FLIGHT CAPS, SERVICE CAPS, WATCH CAPS, etc. not covers or hats. In fact, hats are for civilians and any military TI will gladly remind you of it. A "cover" is a general term used in the military to describe all kinds of head coverings (there are oh so many kinds). It isn't a degrading or unprofessional term, so I see no reason to fight against the tide to stop people from saying it.

So we now have CAP caps. . .
<shrugs>
[/drift]
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

brasda91

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 31, 2008, 08:08:56 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 28, 2008, 03:43:09 AM

So we now have CAP caps. . .
<shrugs>
[/drift]

No, we have C.A.P. caps.  ;)
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

dwb

At least we don't have U.S. CAP caps anymore.

;D