CAP ignored in AF history of Katrina operations

Started by RiverAux, January 20, 2008, 04:20:46 AM

DNall

If you're not on the resource slides you don't exist & don't get tasked. If you're not on the AAR slides then it never happened.  ;)

Gunner C

QuoteIf you're not on the AAR slides then it never happened.  Wink
BINGO

And it sounds like we weren't.

RiverAux

I am unaware of any official history of CAP operations in Katrina, but we certainly could at least have sent them a couple of issues of the Volunteer which had pages and pages of stuff.  That would have been sufficient to cover the basics and were produced very quickly after the event - well before anyone started writing any official history.

Smithsonia

I don't mean to point out the obvious but complaining about history, changes nothing... The Air Force will not recall the report to de-bunch your panties... but doing something today will change things tomorrow.

So before anyone feels another crying jag coming on ... why doesn't someone sign up to take the AF Historian out to lunch once a year and ask a few questions? Who does the report to Congress? When should we get our material to you? In what form would you like it? Things like that.

I know we do our own report very year... but I guess you guys want to get into the AF version... so make it happen and quit complaining. This is one of those things that can be fixed with a little research and follow through.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

DNall

Actually, I would argue this is one of those things where we need a full-time staff historian (with a staff of volunteers) that works in conjunction with the PA shop, and across the table with 1AF & AETC to ensure we're correctly included. The best way to do that is a formal historical report of CAP operations in a given event or period that's sent to those AF offices for inclusion in their reports & well before the deadlines for those.

Gunner C

Quote from: DNall on December 23, 2008, 03:52:52 AM
Actually, I would argue this is one of those things where we need a full-time staff historian (with a staff of volunteers) that works in conjunction with the PA shop, and across the table with 1AF & AETC to ensure we're correctly included. The best way to do that is a formal historical report of CAP operations in a given event or period that's sent to those AF offices for inclusion in their reports & well before the deadlines for those.

It also points to the transient nature of CAP ops - when the mission is over, the IC goes home and back to regular work.  In the RM, the commander and staff stay on-site and conduct an after action review.  Since this was a joint mission, this was probably conducted by LTG Honore or his designate, most likely his G-3.  When this AAR was held, was there a CAP representative to brief the meeting?  If so, was the rep authoritative - an IC or high ranking Ops type from NHQ? 

If I had to guess, the answer would be no.  That's not a criticism, it's just the way we're put together. 

I'd hate to see one of our folks, dedicated and qualified as they are, get up in front of a joint gathering and try to brief amongst those who brief for a living and have been schooled in its finer arts.  I've seen the briefings at the National Boards and they make me cringe.  We don't have the skills or background to make an effective presentation.  THe AF might have seen this coming and said "Don't worry, we've got it covered."  The AF probably rolled us up in their stats and then highlighted their own wizzo stuff.  That's the way things are done in the military and in the government in general.

Gunner

RiverAux

Quote from: Smithsonia on December 23, 2008, 12:16:45 AM
I don't mean to point out the obvious but complaining about history, changes nothing... The Air Force will not recall the report to de-bunch your panties... but doing something today will change things tomorrow.
Hmm, I don't know about that.  By bringing up this topic I have stimulated several folks to propose several different ways that the problem might be prevented in the future.  If someone doesn't point out an issue, it definetely won't ever get solved. 

Smithsonia

RiverAux;
My point is to make the change not entertain redundant griping about this one. About this you and I are actually on the same side. I am trying to provoke a duty/decision/mission, not more complaints. You and I debate enough on other threads, no reason to here. You have done good pointing out the problem. Further griping is worthless. Making a plan is good. Making a duty is good. Simple stuff... really.

If it bothers you (or anyone else) change it. Again, simple stuff.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN