Main Menu

Clasps vs Stars

Started by GaryVC, July 29, 2018, 10:34:47 PM

GaryVC

Generally stars on ribbons denote the level of the award while clasps are used for subsequent awards of the same ribbon. However, I have noticed that for the Cadet Specialty Activity Ribbon (which can be worn by both cadets and senior members) stars are worn for subsequent awards. This seem like an error in the regulation and clasps should be awarded instead.

SarDragon

It's been that way for a very long time, and there must have been some logic to do it that way.

I see this as a solution looking for a problem. What difference does it really make?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SarDragon on July 29, 2018, 11:52:28 PM
It's been that way for a very long time, and there must have been some logic to do it that way.

I see this as a solution looking for a problem. What difference does it really make?

Probably no difference, other than to correct a nagging "Now why did they do THAT?" question. I've wondered the same thing. Clasps usually mean "earned it again" while stars usually mean "reached a higher level" or "did something in addition to earning it once."  It doesn't make any logical sense to use stars on that ribbon. More puzzling - the old "Special Acts" ribbon that was killed off in 1971 didn't use stars, it used clasps. So - why use stars now for the "earned it again" for the current ribbon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

MSG Mac

Something for the National Uniform Committee to clarify or fix.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member