Backdating SM Promotion / Old Promotion Criteria

Started by PhoenixRisen, June 30, 2018, 05:48:43 PM

PhoenixRisen

tl;dr. Can SM promotions be backdated if all requirements had been met for that date?

I turned SM on my 21st birthday (June 1, 2013) but took a bit of a break (while staying on the roster), so my automatic 1st Lt / Level II from my Eaker Award wasn't wasn't entered until three years later (September 1st, 2016).

I was just reminded of the soon-to-be new promotion requirements, so I'm hoping this is possible to meet the "last promoted date" before August 11th, 2014.

Eclipse

Quote from: PhoenixRisen on June 30, 2018, 05:48:43 PM
tl;dr. Can SM promotions be backdated if all requirements had been met for that date?

No, at least not based on the program as published in regards to Duty Promotions.

Your unit PDO can tell you exactly which of the programs you are currently in by viewing your
entry in the Promotions Module.

The grandfathering is based on your last promotion as of August 2014 when the changes were announced.
Everyone was allowed a 1-up, after which they needed to catch up both PD and TIG to the new levels
before they would again be eligible.  Since your most recent promotion was well after that date, you
would not qualify.

Specialty tracks and PD levels are a different situation as they can be back-dated (or used to be able to be),
at the CC's discretion.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

This is probably as good a time as any to remind folks that the Grandfather door
slams shut on 11 August 2018, at which time all members are subject to the requirments
as outlined in the current CAPR 35-5, which raised the expectations for the field grades fairly significant.

(i.e. LIV and another year for Major, LV and another year for Lt Col).

If you haven't already completed RSC, you're not likely to in the next month or so, but if
you're sitting on getting work already completed submitted for approval, better move fast, especially
at the FGs which require Wing / Region approval, and a lot of those board members will be
either at Summer activities or sitting on a boat somewhere with an adult beverage in their hand
thinking of many things other then CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2018, 06:01:14 PM

No, at least not based on the program as published...

Thanks for the info!

kwe1009

Promotions can be backdated but only if it is your current grade and your commander has good evidence to support the need for backdating.  I have done this a couple of times in the past year alone.  It is just a CAPF2 plus any supporting documentation (if needed). 

How this doesn't work:
If you are currently a Capt and are trying to get your promotion to 1st Lt backdated (which would allow the Capt promotion to be backdated as well), you are out of luck.  I have faced this scenario too and nothing can be done about it.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: kwe1009 on July 01, 2018, 08:58:31 PM
Promotions can be backdated but only if it is your current grade and your commander has good evidence to support the need for backdating.  I have done this a couple of times in the past year alone.  It is just a CAPF2 plus any supporting documentation (if needed). 

How this doesn't work:
If you are currently a Capt and are trying to get your promotion to 1st Lt backdated (which would allow the Capt promotion to be backdated as well), you are out of luck.  I have faced this scenario too and nothing can be done about it.

That's fantastic!

I'm currently a 1st Lt and this would be for this grade, as it's my only actual "promotion" thus far.  All of my original dates of rank for cadet achievements - including my Eaker - are still in eServices along with my date of rank for SM, so I'm hoping that would be enough supporting documentation.

Thanks for the info!

kwe1009

Quote from: PhoenixRisen on July 01, 2018, 09:59:21 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on July 01, 2018, 08:58:31 PM

How this doesn't work:

That's fantastic!

I'm currently a 1st Lt and this would be for this grade, as it's my only actual "promotion" thus far.  All of my original dates of rank for cadet achievements - including my Eaker - are still in eServices along with my date of rank for SM, so I'm hoping that would be enough supporting documentation.

Thanks for the info!

Your squadron commander just needs to submit a CAPF2 to NHQ requesting your promotion date be moved back to when you became a SM.  It is a pretty easy process.

PhoenixRisen

TheSkyHornet

I turned SM on my 21st birthday (June 1, 2013) but took a bit of a break (while staying on the roster), so my automatic 1st Lt / Level II from my Eaker Award wasn't wasn't entered until three years later (September 1st, 2016).

I was just reminded of the soon-to-be new promotion requirements, so I'm hoping this is possible to meet the "last promoted date" before August 11th, 2014.

Your promotion is not automatic. Just because you're automatically eligible does not make you automatically promoted. This is at the discretion of your unit commander.

If you were absent, and/or he or she feels that you were not warranted of being that rank, then your promotion can be withheld.

The discussion you should be having with your unit commander is: "Why was my promotion held up?"

Eclipse

A good point about this situation.  Even with dark-side promotions they aren't automatic,
and as a CC I wouldn't be inclined to promote a member who wasn't around, for whatever reason.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Truthfully based on your original post

I wouldn't have approved the promotion or the backdating-especially 5 years back. Being on the roster does not contribute to the unit. If you were attending school, there are usually units near most major college towns or even attending meeting or working with the home unit during breaks would have made a difference. In the meantime you've had almost 5 years to complete levels 2 and 3. Have you worked on that? wait another year, and if an active member with level 3, you can be a Captain.

SECTION  2 -  DUTY PERFORMANCE PROMOTIONS (Not applicable to NCO grades) 2.1. Eligibility Requirements. 2.1.1. General Requirements.  To be considered for this type promotion, the member must: 2.1.1.1. Be at least 21 years of age. 2.1.1.2. Be a high school graduate (or educational equivalent). 2.1.1.3. Complete Level I of the Professional Development Program. 2.1.1.4. Be performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the grade recommended.  Exemplary is defined as performance that is worthy of imitation.  Commanders may include remarks concerning the member's duty assignments/performance, unit participation, willingness to accept additional responsibilities, etc. as examples of exemplary performance.

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member