Social Media uses and platforms - what are you using, what are you thinking - wh

Started by OldGuy, January 11, 2018, 06:09:07 PM

OldGuy

And yes, I know some here hate SM. No need to post negatives, I am looking for what works and then how the IT / eServices interplays work.

Positive posts only please!

Geber

If I feel left out because I flatly refuse to use Facebook and Twitter, I will resign. I am intentionally ignoring your request for positive posts only.

etodd

Did your 'search' CapTalk?  These are numerous threads on how social media is being used in a multitude of ways.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

Quote from: Cicero on January 11, 2018, 06:09:07 PM

...... how the IT / eServices interplays work.

^^^ No need for the above. Keep social media posts to info that no one can jump up and yell "OPSEC" .... and you're fine.

No interplay with eServices. Can't imagine how or why that would be.  No need.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: etodd on January 11, 2018, 08:21:55 PM
Quote from: Cicero on January 11, 2018, 06:09:07 PM

...... how the IT / eServices interplays work.

^^^ No need for the above. Keep social media posts to info that no one can jump up and yell "OPSEC" .... and you're fine.

No interplay with eServices. Can't imagine how or why that would be.  No need.

Perhaps the OP is referring to the entry of any social media account info into the Internet Operations section (https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.InternetOperations.Web/Default.aspx) of eServices?
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

whatevah

Quote from: etodd on January 11, 2018, 08:19:33 PM
Did your 'search' CapTalk?  These are numerous threads on how social media is being used in a multitude of ways.
Care to provide a few links?
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

etodd

Quote from: Paul Creed III on January 11, 2018, 08:23:42 PM

Perhaps the OP is referring to the entry of any social media account info into the Internet Operations section (https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.InternetOperations.Web/Default.aspx) of eServices?

Why would anyone want to do that? My point is keep it separate. Biggest use I see for Social Media is Advertising and Marketing. Which has nothing to do with WMIRS or eServices.

etodd

Quote from: whatevah on January 11, 2018, 09:47:25 PM

At the top of this page there is a search button. Once you click it you'll get this little window where you can enter keywords.

Try 'social media' and you'll get a bunch of those links you asked for.  Try it with 'Facebook' and you'll get lots more.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: etodd on January 12, 2018, 02:41:54 AM

Why would anyone want to do that? My point is keep it separate. Biggest use I see for Social Media is Advertising and Marketing. Which has nothing to do with WMIRS or eServices.

Because CAPR 120-1 requires us to do so for command approval and business continuity.

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPR_1201_Information_Technology_Se_3007CE7E168DE.pdf

Social Media is not integrated into eServices, but is merely listed.

whatevah

Quote from: etodd on January 12, 2018, 02:43:56 AM

At the top of this page there is a search button. Once you click it you'll get this little window where you can enter keywords.

Try 'social media' and you'll get a bunch of those links you asked for.  Try it with 'Facebook' and you'll get lots more.
As the site admin, I'm well aware of how the search works. The point was that you could have be a little more helpful than critical with your reply.  "Here, check out these ideas from prior posts: "
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

etodd

Quote from: whatevah on January 12, 2018, 04:34:06 AM
Quote from: etodd on January 12, 2018, 02:43:56 AM

As the site admin, I'm well aware of how the search works. The point was that you could have be a little more helpful than critical with your reply.  "Here, check out these ideas from prior posts: "

Sure. But the social media threads always get so redundant. Almost as much as uniform threads. Its been asked and answered numerous times. When he asks a specific question, folks will chime in, but he was very vague.  Except for the "IT / eServices interplays" part of the question. And I did answer that one directly. :)

etodd

^^^ I see nothing on that page in regards to being able to list thousands of Facebook, Twitter and other social media accounts. All I see is a form for requesting a sub-domain and related DNS type records.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: etodd on January 13, 2018, 04:29:40 PM

^^^ I see nothing on that page in regards to being able to list thousands of Facebook, Twitter and other social media accounts. All I see is a form for requesting a sub-domain and related DNS type records.

On the left-hand menu of that page is a Submission option where the information on the websites (social media and other web-hosted platforms) can be added. I am not aware either way on whether the Submission option is tied to a specific duty position.

OldGuy

Since it appears my request is seen by some as vague, let me clarify:

What platforms are you using?
(i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, Pintrest, etc)

What are you considering in addition to what you are using?

Are you thinking of dropping any of them?

General best practice ideas, tools (Hootsuite, for example) and tips appreciated!

(And yes, there are other threads, but most are cluttered and filled with negativity. I'd like to get actual ideas and tips / tools that can be used rather than debate endlessly why someone thinks FB is evil, useless, stupid, etc.)

Spam

Quote from: Cicero on January 13, 2018, 06:07:31 PM

General best practice ideas, tools (Hootsuite, for example) and tips appreciated!

(And yes, there are other threads, but most are cluttered and filled with negativity. I'd like to get actual ideas and tips / tools that can be used rather than debate endlessly why someone thinks FB is evil, useless, stupid, etc.)

Captalk is the only social media I use, and I lurked for several years before posting.

Not considering using any other social media. Social media are security risks not worth their dubious benefits. I enjoy CT because it helps answer questions and furthers the missions (mostly).

Sorry for the reply if you consider this "negative" but when you ask for feedback it seems disingenuous to then bash the honest replies.

V/r
Spam

OldGuy

Quote from: Spam on January 13, 2018, 07:43:01 PM
Quote from: Cicero on January 13, 2018, 06:07:31 PM

Captalk is the only social media I use, and I lurked for several years before posting.

Not considering using any other social media. Social media are security risks not worth their dubious benefits. I enjoy CT because it helps answer questions and furthers the missions (mostly).

Sorry for the reply if you consider this "negative" but when you ask for feedback it seems disingenuous to then bash the honest replies.

V/r
Spam
Fair enough - thanks!

etodd

Where you  get controversy is where folks want to somehow try to link or tie into eServices or other CAP websites. Keep it separate.

For us, our squadron website and Facebook page are geared strictly for advertising and marketing to potential members who might be searching for us. we DO NOT use any of it for 'inter-squadron communications or anything similar'.  Email, text, phone, works for that.

We have a state official as a guest speaker at next weeks meeting. The Mayor, airport manager and other local officials will most likely be there as well. So we posted this on our FB page and the website to invite the general public as well. They can hear the speaker, see the rest of our Senior meeting and see the Cadets  doing their activities as well. Sort of an open house. Great use of Social Media and the website to spread the word. Also on our local airport's FB page that has over 1140 people following.

When our Cadets come back from an Encampment, we'll share a few select photos of the Cadets having fun during all the activities. "Come Join Us!"

Showing Cadets getting O'Rides in planes and gliders is a really great thing for social media marketing. Those Cadets, and their parents, will share the post to everyone. :)

When we have a SAREX, we'll share photos of ground teams searching, mission base type activity, pilots and planes of course. Nothing that anyone could yell "OPSEC!" about. But enough of a tease to spur interest in the community and let them know the types of things we do.

"Come Join Us!" <  Always invite in various ways.