Dating an old CAP ID?

Started by Capt Thompson, November 27, 2017, 04:02:58 PM

Capt Thompson

This morning, a possible CGM candidate was dropped on my desk to do a little digging. A gentlemen came across photos of his parents in CAP uniform, and was reaching out to see if we could provide any info, as he was unaware of their involvement in CAP.

Along with a few photos, there is also a CAP Form 14-0, for Phyllis Marie Burk, CAP S/N 6-3-6106.

Does anyone in here know how to date a CAP S/N? Unfortunately there is no date on the ID. Any resources to research this further?

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

MisterCD

To some extent yes. The IDs do have information on them to provide a rough date of issuance, at least in terms of year and month. Send me a PM or email and I will happily assist you.

etodd

Edited .... to say my question was answered in the OP, just wasn't clear at first.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

When I joined (1964), cadets and SM had different types of CAPSNs The SMs had a 7- or 8-digit CAPSN, presumably sequential. Cadets had CAPSNs in this format - C-nn-nnnnn, issued by each wing. The C was for cadet, the next two numbers were the wing number according to the original numbering scheme from the '40s, and the remaining digits were the sequentially assigned number. Mine was C-22-10171.

Sometime in 1965, the cadet numbers were changed to a nationally assigned 6-digit number, and everybody got a new one. I have no knowledge of the specific scheme, but I do know that they were into the 623xxx area by July 1966, and all the way up to 6665xx by the end of 1968. Mine was 519522.

Somewhere in the CAP historical archives is a document describing the original serial number scheme. In my olde cadet number, the first 2 was the region of the country, and the second 2 was the wing number withing that region. If you look at the NJWG patch, you will see a 22 on it. Some other wings still have their olde numbers on them, too - Louisiana, 16 ?; Georgia, 61; Michigan, 63; Ohio, 51; Pennsylvania, 31; Wisconsin, 62, Rhode Island 16 ?. The olde serial numbers corresponded with that wing numbering, until they shifted to the national numbering scheme in 1965.

Edited to add - The person in the OP appears to be from Michigan.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sardak

This is from the original cadet membership application of one our CGM recipients.

Columbus Squadron (Ohio) commander who approved the application, 23 Aug 1944; CAP Serial No. 5-1-394

CAPC (cadet) membership card issued, 1 Sep 1944; CAPC Serial No. C-518-173

Mike

NIN

Quote from: sardak on November 27, 2017, 07:55:28 PM
This is from the original cadet membership application of one our CGM recipients.

Columbus Squadron (Ohio) commander who approved the application, 23 Aug 1944; CAP Serial No. 5-1-394

CAPC (cadet) membership card issued, 1 Sep 1944; CAPC Serial No. C-518-173

We just did a CGM for my ex-wife's grandfather.

The Form No 1 with his serial on it was basically all we had to go with:

Pretty interesting thing, though, no matter what.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

sardak

Interesting that the preprinted card had the wrong middle initial for Curry, and whoever prepared the card typed in the correct one.

This should still be National's response:

Please assist by patience. Do not write letters emails. Everything possible will be done at National Headquarters to expedite your application.

Mike