NHQ to begin rescreening members

Started by Eclipse, October 24, 2017, 01:57:28 AM

Eclipse

"Dear Valued CAP Member

The industry best practice for nonprofit volunteer organizations, as well as most government agencies, is to conduct background rescreening every five years. As the U.S. Air Force's newest Total Force partner, it is imperative that CAP always maintains the support, confidence and trust of our parent organization. To demonstrate due diligence and get CAP into the five-year rescreening cycle, we have contracted with Verified Volunteers, a highly respected company that regularly completes background screening for numerous volunteer organizations, including Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girl Scouts, and Pop Warner Football.

Initially, approximately 13,500 members screened prior to 2014 will be rescreened. These background checks will be conducted electronically; a fingerprint card and the normally required paperwork are NOT required. The rescreening process will begin in the next several weeks and will be completed in early 2018.

National Headquarters will use its currently-established process to review any information received. Members will, of course, have the opportunity to provide documentation or additional information before a final decision concerning membership eligibility is reached.

Please note that CAP Regulation 39-2, paragraph 3.2.2.2, requires all members to notify National Headquarters within 30 days of any changes on the membership application that may affect membership eligibility. Although we know this would be a very rare occurrence, an arrest after joining CAP that has not been reported to National Headquarters should be reported now, prior to the rescreening process. This could reduce the amount of time required to adjudicate any findings and help to ensure continuous participation in Civil Air Patrol.

Once these initial rescreenings are completed, all Civil Air Patrol senior members will be rescreened every five years, concurrent with their membership renewal date starting in 2019. Initial screening for new members will still be accomplished through the current screening process.

Thank you for your support as we make this important change to our membership screening process.

Sincerely

MARK E. SMITH
Major General, CAP"

That...is a win...

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

EMT-83

One and done for background checks certainly isn't best practice.

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on October 24, 2017, 02:03:35 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 24, 2017, 01:57:28 AM

That...is a win...

Are you expecting our numbers to be pared down?

Yes, and I understand it has happened before.

I was not a member, but I was told on more then one occasion that in the mid-90's
when NHQ started doing FBI checks and required all members to submit fingerprints,
a non-trivial number of people either self-selected to avoid embarrassment or were
found to have "issues" that disqualified their membership.

This is a definite step in the right direction. If not a single member is terminated,
great, we've got a new baseline.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Periodic re-screens are a good idea. Looks like they're making it low friction for members too, which is nice.

FW

A painless way to do things. Who would have thought we could provide a great service without causing the membership undo hardship. Go figure... ;D

A.Member

Concur...This is a good thing and long overdue.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Spam

I recall the first cadet protection policy being briefed to us at a 1989 Wing Conference; the finger printing and checks for all over-18s started then, and we started losing a certain segment of members. By 1991 I think that loss was over and done, and we had exposed quite a few people that had obviously been sailing under false colors with us from day one. Not a bad thing at all; some had convictions of bad things. I would doubt that we'd see the number of voluntary attrits as we did when screening was instituted, but one and done is thankfully headed out.

If you have a clearance, you are long used to reinvestigation as a normal and healthy thing.

V/r
Spam

NIN

CPP was implemented circa 1988.  I know this because I was stationed at Cp Humphreys Korea, and I went down to the PMO to have them print me after my squadron commander mailed me a card.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MSG Mac

When the screenings started in the 80's it was specifically mentioned that there would be recurrent screenings about every 5 years. I guess monetary concerns kept that from happening.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Devil Doc

Oh no, there going to find out about that one time in Vegas, Oh well... nice knowing yall.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

NIN

Quote from: Devil Doc on October 24, 2017, 05:18:13 PM
Oh no, there going to find out about that one time in Vegas, Oh well... nice knowing yall.

Don't sweat it. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

arajca

Quote from: Devil Doc on October 24, 2017, 05:18:13 PM
Don't sweat THAT one time, worry about the 27 other times... >:D

Fubar

I'm not sure they had to tell us they were re-screening, but it's smart that they did. Instead of having to talk with certain members about stuff that popped up and all the hassle that comes with it, most of those folks will suddenly be disappearing on their own. Win-win.

Live2Learn

Periodic screening is a good idea.  It's also called "due diligence".  That said, I sincerely hope CAP's OPSEC  is better than that of OPM, DOD, EquiFax, VA, etc.  I also expect to see a hard copy letter to my address of record advising me to call the CAP NHQ phone number.  I don't do online surveys purportedly from a legitimate source... thats a great spoofing technique.  And especially if I am expected to spill personal, private (and commercially valuable) details on my life that can be translated into commoditized product and sold online.

The IRS doesn't contact taxpayers online, banks may - but use far more sophisticated methods than CAP's hokey cybersecurity CAP, OPM doesn't, Social Security doesn't, investment houses (mutual funds, etc. don't...  CAP really needs to be very professinal about this entire re-screen thing.

RiverAux

Haven't they been rescreening CD folks every so often.  I'm sure I remember doing that at least once, but I haven't been qualified in that for 5+ years now. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Live2Learn on October 24, 2017, 07:57:25 PMI also expect to see a hard copy letter to my address of record advising me to call the CAP NHQ phone number.

For?

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on October 24, 2017, 08:19:30 PM
Haven't they been rescreening CD folks every so often. 

You get a more through, second BGC in order to qualify for CD, but AFAIK you only get
rescreened if your qual lapses.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Live2Learn on October 24, 2017, 07:57:25 PM
Periodic screening is a good idea.  It's also called "due diligence".  That said, I sincerely hope CAP's OPSEC  is better than that of OPM, DOD, EquiFax, VA, etc.  I also expect to see a hard copy letter to my address of record advising me to call the CAP NHQ phone number.  I don't do online surveys purportedly from a legitimate source... thats a great spoofing technique.  And especially if I am expected to spill personal, private (and commercially valuable) details on my life that can be translated into commoditized product and sold online.

The IRS doesn't contact taxpayers online, banks may - but use far more sophisticated methods than CAP's hokey cybersecurity CAP, OPM doesn't, Social Security doesn't, investment houses (mutual funds, etc. don't...  CAP really needs to be very professinal about this entire re-screen thing.

Did you not read the letter?

CAP has engaged the services of a reputable 3rd party (you know, reputable. Hopefully moreso than Equifax?) that does this kind of rescreening for lots of organizations.  I have a friend whose son, a former cadet, does this for a living (probably not for the same outfit). Its a lot of public records searches, 3rd party database searches, law enforcement stuff, etc.

I'm pretty sure that unless they need to confirm that you're Anthony Soprano Jr and not Sr, you're not even going to get a phone call.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: NIN on October 25, 2017, 01:03:12 AM

Did you not read the letter?

CAP has engaged the services of a reputable 3rd party (you know, reputable. Hopefully moreso than Equifax?) that does this kind of rescreening for lots of organizations.  I have a friend whose son, a former cadet, does this for a living (probably not for the same outfit). Its a lot of public records searches, 3rd party database searches, law enforcement stuff, etc.

I'm pretty sure that unless they need to confirm that you're Anthony Soprano Jr and not Sr, you're not even going to get a phone call.

I did.

Volunteer Verification is owned by Sterling Infosystems. A Google search on this company doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings on the way they do their business. Plenty of complaints and lawsuits from both paying clients as well as those investigated for faulty reporting, illegal search procedures and fraudulent billing. This includes a number of class action lawsuits directed against them.

Oh, by the way, your personal information, including your SSN, will be processed by Sterling employees located in India. They actually closed a 600 man office here in the US and relocated offshore a few years ago.

NHQ would be better served re-running everyone's fingerprint cards every 5 years than this.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: