The use of FaceBook jobs wanted as a recruiting tool!

Started by OldGuy, August 28, 2017, 05:11:58 PM

OldGuy

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on August 29, 2017, 03:47:45 PM
Wow, you're not going to last here too long with an attitude like that.
Really? I tried to offer feedback on a a new tool and get nit picking and negativity. Now you join in. OK, what next, a drum-head court martial and expulsion?

Tell you what, I could join in the negativity, the carping about what a failure CAP is in regards to Harvey and why my efforts are meaningless - OR I could keep trying to make ours a Squadron of Distinction. Guess which choice I am making?

Oh and good luck with your positive efforts to welcome people here.

SarDragon

OK, enough of the measuring contest. Clean it up, or it gets turned off.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: Gunsotsu on August 28, 2017, 07:39:41 PM
No.

Just no.

I suppose Volunteer Match, Linked In, Facebook ads are newfangled?

I mean, if the classified section of the local paper is working, don't give it up, right?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Commo

Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 29, 2017, 12:26:06 AM

In two weeks, three senior member volunteers with skills, and a cadet officer volunteer new in the community.

Well done to the OP and support of trying something different.  I freely admit I'm not a Facebook guy, but if it gets the word out in an avenue that people see, kudos to your squadron for trying it.  As Lt. Blues mentioned, the added detail of the specialty was a good tactic: focusing the advertisement to a potential candidate of "Hey, that could me be" vs. "Ho Hum, that could be anyone."

I also admit I'm surprised the perceived negativity from several of the senior members here.  It's different venue, yes, and others (myself included) dislike the bombardment of advertising in Facebook, and targeted ads always feel like an invasion of privacy.  Nitpicking the success of getting interested people in the door with "Oh, he's a cadet that just hadn't transferred yet"  and citing overall retention rates... what's the point?  It's not relevant to the success and bringing three interested people into the local squadron.

Sure, the cadet was a CAP veteran who just needed a nudge to transfer.  That Facebook ad was the catalyst to reignite his interest while simultaneously communicating that this squadron is active enough to recruit on Facebook.

With all due and sincere respect to the seniors who contribute to captalk:  you bring a wealth of experience, knowledge, and dedication to CAP, but there are fine lines between "proven experience", "old salt", and "this is how we've always done it.  That way won't work because others tried something similar (but different) and failed."

Kudos to your initial success.  Facebook may have brought them to your door, but it will be the quality and camaraderie of your squadron that retains them. 

Commo

OldGuy

Thanks Commo. I need to be more clear in my communication and more patient with the old salts and naysayers. I agree regards the squadron. We have a great team and are working well together towards the Squadron of Distinction, but there is always room for improvement. Appreciate the kind words. Will update as this develops.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Commo on August 29, 2017, 11:21:48 PM
Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 29, 2017, 12:26:06 AM

In two weeks, three senior member volunteers with skills, and a cadet officer volunteer new in the community.

Well done to the OP and support of trying something different.  I freely admit I'm not a Facebook guy, but if it gets the word out in an avenue that people see, kudos to your squadron for trying it.  As Lt. Blues mentioned, the added detail of the specialty was a good tactic: focusing the advertisement to a potential candidate of "Hey, that could me be" vs. "Ho Hum, that could be anyone."

I also admit I'm surprised the perceived negativity from several of the senior members here.  It's different venue, yes, and others (myself included) dislike the bombardment of advertising in Facebook, and targeted ads always feel like an invasion of privacy.  Nitpicking the success of getting interested people in the door with "Oh, he's a cadet that just hadn't transferred yet"  and citing overall retention rates... what's the point?  It's not relevant to the success and bringing three interested people into the local squadron.

Sure, the cadet was a CAP veteran who just needed a nudge to transfer.  That Facebook ad was the catalyst to reignite his interest while simultaneously communicating that this squadron is active enough to recruit on Facebook.

With all due and sincere respect to the seniors who contribute to captalk:  you bring a wealth of experience, knowledge, and dedication to CAP, but there are fine lines between "proven experience", "old salt", and "this is how we've always done it.  That way won't work because others tried something similar (but different) and failed."

Kudos to your initial success.  Facebook may have brought them to your door, but it will be the quality and camaraderie of your squadron that retains them. 

Commo

By far, my biggest gripe is listing it where people looking for jobs will see an unpaid, expensive "opportunity". The text is good, the place is the issue.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TheSkyHornet

They picked me up through a LinkedIn ad.

And I bet they regret that  :P

Gunsotsu

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on August 30, 2017, 12:16:07 AM
By far, my biggest gripe is listing it where people looking for jobs will see an unpaid, expensive "opportunity". The text is good, the place is the issue.

This. It's patently dishonest and has no business being posted where people look for paying work.

OldGuy

Quote from: Gunsotsu on August 31, 2017, 01:32:14 AM
This. It's patently dishonest and has no business being posted where people look for paying work.

Well, if your claim was honest, that would be correct.

The ads are posted under VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES. In the Headline it says the word VOLUNTEER. And all four applicants so far have actually read that and understood that. But otherwise your concerns would be valid. I do appreciate the time you took to actually examine the links, the text, note that both Wing and National has approved this and supports the efforts and then weigh in with reasoned concerns based on facts. I look forward to seeing what other great ideas you have that could help others recruit.

stillamarine

Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 31, 2017, 01:43:25 AM
Quote from: Gunsotsu on August 31, 2017, 01:32:14 AM

Well, if your claim was honest, that would be correct.

The ads are posted under VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES. In the Headline it says the word VOLUNTEER. And all four applicants so far have actually read that and understood that. But otherwise your concerns would be valid. I do appreciate the time you took to actually examine the links, the text, note that both Wing and National has approved this and supports the efforts and then weigh in with reasoned concerns based on facts. I look forward to seeing what other great ideas you have that could help others recruit.

Yeah that doesn't always help. I have an ad on a website for internships. It is for an UNPAID internship with my PD. We don't pay, we don't relocate, we don't provide housing. All of these are in the description, heading, all caps. You are required to be enrolled in a course receiving credit. I get multiple applications weekly from people that don't read the requirements.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

OldGuy

Quote from: stillamarine on August 31, 2017, 02:16:28 AM
Yeah that doesn't always help. I have an ad on a website for internships. It is for an UNPAID internship with my PD. We don't pay, we don't relocate, we don't provide housing. All of these are in the description, heading, all caps. You are required to be enrolled in a course receiving credit. I get multiple applications weekly from people that don't read the requirements.

No doubt. But in this case four of four did read, did understand and did respond.

etodd

Quote from: etodd on August 29, 2017, 03:02:46 AM
Great job! FB can get the word out quicker than most any other method. People that know someone, who knows someone else that knows the perfect candidate for the job, will share the posts within hours, if not minutes. Fantastic use of technology. :)

Geez, what a negative thread ... so I'll repeat my comment from page one.  ^^

Its a whole new world out here. I'm 61 and have been in marketing since 1970 in one form or another and heavily involved with the internet since the amber monitor text only days.  I have to keep up with what the 'kids' are using and prefering these days.

Out with the old (well, it sometimes still works) and in with the new.

I congratulate the Squadron for their work.  :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 31, 2017, 02:21:21 AM

No doubt. But in this case four of four did read, did understand and did respond.

And then there's the REAL test. Will they be around to renew in a year?

OldGuy

Quote from: etodd on August 31, 2017, 02:23:12 AM
Quote from: etodd on August 29, 2017, 03:02:46 AM
Great job! FB can get the word out quicker than most any other method. People that know someone, who knows someone else that knows the perfect candidate for the job, will share the posts within hours, if not minutes. Fantastic use of technology. :)

Geez, what a negative thread ... so I'll repeat my comment from page one.  ^^

Its a whole new world out here. I'm 61 and have been in marketing since 1970 in one form or another and heavily involved with the internet since the amber monitor text only days.  I have to keep up with what the 'kids' are using and prefering these days.

Out with the old (well, it sometimes still works) and in with the new.

I congratulate the Squadron for their work.  :)

Thanks. I do appreciate the many positive posts here.

OldGuy

Quote from: PHall on August 31, 2017, 02:44:34 AM
Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 31, 2017, 02:21:21 AM

Absolutely. We have a great team, I have a good feeling about this. But we continue full press recruiting. This is just one of the tools that the R&R Officer has working.

etodd

Good grief man, even if just one out of the four stayed it would be a success.  Why in the world so negative?

Some folks just cannot stand to see others in the spotlight.  >:(
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: etodd on August 31, 2017, 03:31:56 AM

Good grief man, even if just one out of the four stayed it would be a success.  Why in the world so negative?

Some folks just cannot stand to see others in the spotlight.  >:(

Errr...no.

1 out of 4 is a terrible rate, according to NHQ.  :angel:

Commo

How is that relevant?  Retention will be based on the individual's experience with CAP, the squadron, the squadron's seniors, and the squadron's cadets over the next 365 days.  The spark that piqued their interest may be remembered, but will be long irrelevant at renewal time at next year.

Unless the naysayers are suggesting that recruiting method A is always superior over method B, and method C will only bring in the "worst sort" to CAP, then with continued all due respect... a speculative comment to next year's retention is irrelevant.  (It would be just as irrelevant if it was a postive speculation, too)

Commo