Main Menu

SAC Alert teams

Started by Nikos, July 18, 2017, 09:08:21 PM

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 24, 2017, 12:14:24 AM
Personally they never should have done away with SAC... Then the issues that cropped up over the last 10 Years wouldn't have happened.

We "SAC Trained Killers" did notice that they waited until LeMay was dead and buried before they did away with SAC.

SAC had an "elitist" rep among the other MAJCOMS. The Fighter Pilot Mafia Chief of Staff (Mc Peak) couldn't kill off SAC fast enough.

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on July 24, 2017, 12:53:37 AM
We "SAC Trained Killers" did notice that they waited until LeMay was dead and buried before they did away with SAC.

SAC had an "elitist" rep among the other MAJCOMS. The Fighter Pilot Mafia Chief of Staff (Mc Peak) couldn't kill off SAC fast enough.

I think alot of what occurred within the AF was McPeak's doing and we have finally only within the last few years been recovering.

Luis R. Ramos

Saying "Fighter Pilot mafia" also points out there was more than one elite attitude, though...

Now I hide behind and below the desk as I will receive...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

abdsp51

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 24, 2017, 12:47:28 PM
Saying "Fighter Pilot mafia" also points out there was more than one elite attitude, though...

Now I hide behind and below the desk as I will receive...

There is. 

ColonelJack

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 24, 2017, 01:13:47 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 24, 2017, 12:53:37 AM

I think alot of what occurred within the AF was McPeak's doing and we have finally only within the last few years been recovering.

The "business suit uniform" was definitely McPeak's doing.  (Thus do I continue the ongoing CAPTalk legacy of everything eventually turning into a uniform thread!)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Nikos

I used to work with a guy who was in the USAF around 1965.  He said many times that the SAC guys were different.

I really don't understand when you say "business suit uniform", do you mean a type of flight suit?

ColonelJack

Quote from: Nikos on July 25, 2017, 11:33:28 PM
I used to work with a guy who was in the USAF around 1965.  He said many times that the SAC guys were different.

I really don't understand when you say "business suit uniform", do you mean a type of flight suit?

I'm referring to the current service coat uniform (Class As, for the Army types out there).  Take off the shiny silver buttons and it's just a business suit.

The prior uniform (sometimes called affectionately the "Tony Nelson" uniform) was much more military.  That's my personal opinion, and your mileage may vary.

The current uniform (sometimes called not-so-affectionately the "Tony McPeak" uniform) is, at least, an improvement over the way it was originally designed:  no epaulets, no U.S. cutouts, no nameplates, and for officers - sleeve lace similar to the Navy's to designate grade.

Heck, McPeak even tried to get away with no headgear at all, at one point.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

PHall

The SAC guys were different because we were held to very high standards if you were in Maintenance or were a flyer.
Many people were on the "Personnel Reliability Program" because we worked on or around aircraft or missiles that could deliver nuclear weapons.
People on PRP were closely monitored. Something like a death in your extended family could get you suspended from PRP because you might be mentally unstable.

Nikos

Just in case I was not clear.  The guy I worked with who said the SAC guys were different did not mean it in a bad way.  Perhaps a better way to put it is that SAC is the best of the best.

PHall

Here's a little ditty that kind of "explains" SAC.

"To error is human, to forgive is divine. Neither of which is SAC policy!" >:D

FTFY.

abdsp51

Quote from: Nikos on July 27, 2017, 08:03:41 PM
Perhaps a better way to put it is that SAC iswas the best of the best.

FTFY

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: PHall on July 27, 2017, 12:59:46 AM
The SAC guys were different because we were held to very high standards if you were in Maintenance or were a flyer.
Many people were on the "Personnel Reliability Program" because we worked on or around aircraft or missiles that could deliver nuclear weapons.
People on PRP were closely monitored. Something like a death in your extended family could get you suspended from PRP because you might be mentally unstable.

Still true.

Camper alert teams still exist.

A lot of elements from SAC lived on in the missile community...including a lot of the bad elements. Actually wrote my master's thesis on the subject.

raivo

OP, is there a reason you periodically ask questions in here about nuclear C3, security, and other topics?

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

PHall

Quote from: raivo on October 04, 2017, 06:15:48 AM
OP, is there a reason you periodically ask questions in here about nuclear C3, security, and other topics?

Hey, let the sleeper agent do his job. >:D

foo

My uncle was Security Police under SAC. I would love to ask him about this, but he passed away last month at age 64 (perhaps not coincidentally) from mesothelioma.