Training classes

Started by Nikos, December 17, 2015, 10:24:06 PM

Nikos

I currently have Patron Status.  I have taken FEMA classes IS-100, IS-200 and IS-700.  My question is can I list these on my Personnel record now, or do I have to wait until I am active?    I can't seem to find an answer on the CAP website.  Any info would be a great help.  Thanks

Luis R. Ramos

The answer you seek is in the CAP Regulations. Consult these first.

Read CAPR 39-2 3-1. a. Active Member, and b. Reserve/Patron Member.

Link http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R039_002_A74FDA9552C2D.pdf
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 17, 2015, 10:59:54 PM

As an Admin Officer, do you answer questions at your unit in such a manner?

Nikos, I don't have a clear answer this that. I'm no expert on the subject, but you may attend wing and regional conferences; however, I do not know if you're allowed to attend any training/classes at those conferences. If permitted to attend, I suppose you would be able to log that on your training record (which should be punched in by the instructor). You will not, however, be able to participate in any field training or squadron activities aside from social events, nor may you lead further training or apply your training to CAP duties. You're essentially a paying member without privileges other than attendance.

A PDO should probably answer this question more appropriately.

EMT-83

This is not a PDO question, unless your PDO also maintains your personnel records.

There is really no point to a Patron member having training records in their personnel file, but there's also nothing which prohibits it. Personally, if asked I would include them.

Garibaldi

My question is, what do you mean by list it? Are you wanting to put it on the big pink folder? Or are you wanting it listed in e-services for ES training? Once you become a regular member, all you have to do is upload copies of the certificates to e-services and they will automatically populate, never expiring.

If you're just wanting to put them in your 201/personnel file, there's nothing to stop you from that, but they will do nothing for you as a patron. Just as an active GT member.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

TheSkyHornet

Do Patrons maintain a 101?

This is something I really don't experience as a CDC.

Nikos

Thanks Garibaldi that answers my question.  I was not aware that they did not expire.  My thinking was that I did not want to take them again when I become active.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Nikos on December 18, 2015, 04:09:58 PM
Thanks Garibaldi that answers my question.  I was not aware that they did not expire.  My thinking was that I did not want to take them again when I become active.

Save a record of any training you receive, whether it ends up on your eServices record or in a paper file in your personnel folder. I always like to have duplicates.

vorteks

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 18, 2015, 03:22:29 PM
Nikos, I don't have a clear answer this that. I'm no expert on the subject

Then why did you chime in at all?

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Nikos on December 17, 2015, 10:24:06 PM
I currently have Patron Status.  I have taken FEMA classes IS-100, IS-200 and IS-700.  My question is can I list these on my Personnel record now, or do I have to wait until I am active?    I can't seem to find an answer on the CAP website.  Any info would be a great help.  Thanks

Quote from: CAPR 39-2
Individuals who belong to CAP
in other membership categories such as reserve/patron, cadet sponsor, aerospace education, retired, cadet, etc., are not eligible for duty assignments.

So this is what it boils down to. As a patron, you cannot be in any duty position, therefore, there would be no purpose in uploading your fema training.

That being said, it sounds like you may be considering transitioning from Patron to Active status. There is no reason not to take the applicable FEMA courses now before you do so, as to my knowledge they do not expire, and it is a simple matter to upload all your certificates once your active status is confirmed. IS-800 would be the last online course applicable to CAP: http://www.capmembers.com/emergency_services/operations_support/national-incident-management-system-nims/
And ICS 300-400 are usually available from local agencies.

Hope this helps.

THRAWN

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 17, 2015, 10:59:54 PM

This isn't even close to answering the question. Include them. There is no prohibition against it.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023