CG Auxiliary nosing into CAP "territory"

Started by RiverAux, October 27, 2015, 10:30:06 PM

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

I agree "Volunteer" and perhaps someone from NHQ Uniform Committee is reading this and will put it in a future version of the uniform manual.

I felt proud of my volunteer service and being a member of this great organization when flying in support of FEMA for the Valley and Butte fires and the Napa Earthquake. Perhaps those were my defining "Service" moments. I was also very proud to receive the DR+V clasp with my squadron mates and friends earlier this week:

https://www.facebook.com/squadron188/posts/915706075177378:0

THRAWN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 06, 2015, 04:02:35 PM
This is just like the military...

Arguing over the design of a new ribbon. A GWOT medial/ribbon came out for those partaking in OEF. Then it started being used for everyone so an expeditionary award came out. Now the military is coming out with PT ribbons.

How many awards do you want/need? Just do your job and stop expecting something in return for it. You volunteered to be a part of one, if not all, of three CAP missions: Aerospace Education, Emergency Service operations, and Volunteer Service in your community. If you want special devices and trinkets and all kinds of stuff that make you feel better about what you do, go work in retail and get a commission for each sale you make to reward you.

Sure, we want some recognition once in a while, especially from the Air Force who is our partner, but we don't need to wear it on our collars and chests to gloat. Just accept your ribbon, shake a hand, and move on. And if you don't get one, deal with it, and keep moving on.

If the President calls on CAP to assist in rescue operations, get out there and do the job that needs to be done. Don't worry about what you're going to get for it. Someone needs your help, and to them, they don't care what you get for it. It doesn't take awards to get out there and help people.

My proposal, you ask?
Stop whining over your ribbon and "V" device. Who cares?

Just like the military? This comes from, I'm guessing, your vast experience? The only people in the military, and this comes from 25+ years of experience, who gripe about the designs of medals are boots. After a bit of service time, they really don't care. This looks like it's morphed into a regulatory issue. The regulation to be awarded the ribbon (with or without device) needs a rewrite. One thing that you'll learn as you complete your first year of service is that things that motivate volunteers are much different from things that motivate other people. Volunteers want to be recognized. They want the pins and medals and "bling".
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: THRAWN on November 06, 2015, 06:08:45 PM

Arguing over the design of a new ribbon. A GWOT medial/ribbon came out for those partaking in OEF. Then it started being used for everyone so an expeditionary award came out. Now the military is coming out with PT ribbons.

How many awards do you want/need? Just do your job and stop expecting something in return for it. You volunteered to be a part of one, if not all, of three CAP missions: Aerospace Education, Emergency Service operations, and Volunteer Service in your community. If you want special devices and trinkets and all kinds of stuff that make you feel better about what you do, go work in retail and get a commission for each sale you make to reward you.

Sure, we want some recognition once in a while, especially from the Air Force who is our partner, but we don't need to wear it on our collars and chests to gloat. Just accept your ribbon, shake a hand, and move on. And if you don't get one, deal with it, and keep moving on.

If the President calls on CAP to assist in rescue operations, get out there and do the job that needs to be done. Don't worry about what you're going to get for it. Someone needs your help, and to them, they don't care what you get for it. It doesn't take awards to get out there and help people.

My proposal, you ask?

Just like the military? This comes from, I'm guessing, your vast experience? The only people in the military, and this comes from 25+ years of experience, who gripe about the designs of medals are boots. After a bit of service time, they really don't care. This looks like it's morphed into a regulatory issue. The regulation to be awarded the ribbon (with or without device) needs a rewrite. One thing that you'll learn as you complete your first year of service is that things that motivate volunteers are much different from things that motivate other people. Volunteers want to be recognized. They want the pins and medals and "bling".

I was referring to the fact of the DoD and Congress coming out with these tidbit solutions to stuff that people argue about for decades. And that usually sends people into another argument because the solution sucked.

Shuttle run...
People complained about the run. It got pulled. Now they're complaining that it got pulled with no replacement.

Ribbons...
People complained about not having ribbons. The Navy instituted a physical fitness ribbon. People complain about the PFA ribbon.

People say inappropriate stuff online. An NCO steps in. She gets an ARCOM. People say she shouldn't get an ARCOM.

The group will never be 100% satisfied. As I've said before, regulations need to be written clear and concise to eliminate the misinterpretations and subsequent arguments. Obviously, you can't predict what questions people may bring up later, and when they do come up, consider both sides and come up with a clarification as to the intent. It shouldn't take years to do. But people need to not get so heated in discussions like this. It really isn't a big deal. We're talking about non-essential uniform decorations. We're arguing over a metal letter and its color that would fit comfortably on your thumb nail.

Flying Pig

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 06, 2015, 07:45:20 PM

My proposal, you ask?

But people need to not get so heated in discussions like this.

People got heated in this discussion? 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 06, 2015, 09:44:40 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 06, 2015, 07:45:20 PM

My proposal, you ask?

But people need to not get so heated in discussions like this.

People got heated in this discussion?

QuoteThis comment is just... I cannot type what I am thinking as I could get banned.

*insert rage here*

I think we got the point here. We've got a ribbon with a device and it's unclear to some as to how it should be awarded and worn. There are a bunch of different opinions on the matter that spiraled into subtopics. It is CAP Talk after all.

Flying Pig

And ultimately.... does it really matter?  not really.  This is just a bunch of people all standing around the bonfire talking.  Ill admit I totally derailed it... but the CGAux showing up to a disaster had sorta fizzled out, Mission Pilot mentioned the DR w/"V" being awarded..... and so goes the discussion.  Like I said, its been about 6-7 years since that was last discussed (searched it...not that I recall off the top of my head ;) ) and thought we've added a lot of members here, maybe someone in 2015 knows.  And with that.... I have declared the V means "Volunteer"  >:D  I have spoken, and it is so. 

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer